Help: keyboard echos wrong(accent & other strange) characters

Help: keyboard echos wrong(accent & other strange) characters

Post by JA Grog » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

        Has someone had this problem that they can help me with?

        When SCO Unix is echoing strange characters instead of what
         is typed on the keyboard. When the system is at the
        maintenance run level everything is OK. Everything typed in
         is OK when the system is being brought up to a higher run
         level until just before the login prompt appears on the
        console. I've seen this once before 3 years ago but can't
         remember how I fixed it. Any clues or help to fix this would
        be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>    When SCO Unix is echoing strange characters instead of what
>     is typed on the keyboard. When the system is at the
>    maintenance run level everything is OK. Everything typed in
>     is OK when the system is being brought up to a higher run
>     level until just before the login prompt appears on the
>    console. I've seen this once before 3 years ago but can't
>     remember how I fixed it. Any clues or help to fix this would
>    be much appreciated.

The entries in /etc/inittab for tty01 through tty12 should use gettydefs
entry "sc_m".  This differs from other gettydefs entries by having
"SCANCODE" in both sets of stty settings.
Quote:>Bela<

Help: keyboard echos wrong(accent & other strange) characters

Post by Donald Pag » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Andy,

I think this may be the corruption of /etc/ioctl.syscon problem which
occurred in 3.2v4 or earlier.  Try removing/renaming this file.

Regards,
        Donald

>    When SCO Unix is echoing strange characters instead of what
>     is typed on the keyboard. When the system is at the
>    maintenance run level everything is OK. Everything typed in
>     is OK when the system is being brought up to a higher run
>     level until just before the login prompt appears on the
>    console. I've seen this once before 3 years ago but can't
>     remember how I fixed it. Any clues or help to fix this would
>    be much appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Andy

1. Replace character with accent by character without accent

Hello people.

I have file coming from a system that is in Portuguese, and I need to
strip it of all characters that have accent.

example:

 -> a
 -> e
?  -> ?

you get the idea.

Question: How do I do that with a UNIX shell script?

My shell is the BASH shell. I have some knowledge of how to make shell
script.

Thank you.
--
.:: Evanescence ::. Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
"The words have been drained from this pencil

2. Key scan codes?

3. reconfiguring keyboard for accented characters problem

4. merced

5. Accented characters with a US keyboard

6. Problem with metainit

7. echo foo |grep foo && exit || wrong

8. Dell GX1 video overscan in 7.3 - newbie

9. telnet echo on/off causes strange crlf echo

10. HELP- Shell to start several windows where typing in one window is echoed by others?

11. Strange echo on backspace under bash & pl15

12. How to Type European Accent Characters in X

13. Typing accented characters on the console