1. Need advice regarding patches and Maintenance Supplement...
Can someone describe to me the recommended strategy regarding
patches? We have installed the jumbo kernel and lp patches and
some small serial port patches and are currently working to make
a port bidirectional without success.
We have recurring weird events, like ports reconfiguring themselves,
console with weird junk on it after reboot, etc, and meanwhile we are
all new to Unix system admin ourselves so we are not comfortable
that we have a stable and robust system yet.
For these and just about any
other problems we have called SUN about, the first question is
'have you installed the patches?'. Clearly, these patches are
numerous and come out quite often so it is impossible to keep
applying the latest patches. (We have now moved var out of
/ mainly in response to the rapid growth of space taken by patches).
Some SUN troubleshooters have told us to install all patches, others
never to do that but rather just install the patches that seem
relevant to our current problems.
We just received the Maintenance Supplement 1 (dated 4/94). We
thought maybe this would bring us up to a stable revision of
Solaris 2.3. In dealing with the problematic setup of a
bidirectional port, a SUN troubleshooter says not to install this
Supplement since it is old.
Sorry for the long description...
A question: we have about 6-8 patches installed on Solaris 2.3.
Would we be better off to install the Maintenance Supplement 1
with its oldish patches, then bring our 6-8 up-to-date, or to
neglect the maintenance supplement altogether? Do most admins
apply zillions of patches?
Thanks for any help.
Scripps Inst. of Oceanography
2. How to set PATH?
3. Maintenance Supplement installation problem
4. Paste Problem in KDE Terminal
5. Recommended vs maintenance Supplement
6. Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
7. SCO: Unix is corrupt when patching oss449f onto 5.0.2
8. Need help with partitions...
9. OSS449F Patch on SCO 5.0.2
10. Internet Supplement Patch: Kaboom!
11. FYI: NFS/lockd panic patch, other recent supplements
12. XPG4 Supplement Patch (installing ORACLE Free Trial Version)
13. Errors when loading SCOhelp patch supplement