Netscape 4.06

Post by Dave Richard » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Netscape 4.06 has been put on the Netscape ftp site and  is available
for download.

Get it while you can!  ;)  They seem to pull versions off after a while.

So far I haven't been able to find a port of 4.5 or 5.0 for SCO.

Regards-

Netscape 4.06

Post by Mikhail Kuperbl » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

There is just one problem -- it (4.06) won't run:

 Netscape Communicator 4: This program is not licensed.

So I called 800-SCO-UNIX asking about the license. "Call Netscape people",
they said, "they're in charge of licenses for the latest version". So
I called... Neither Netscape sales nor tech-support had any idea why
SCO version needs a license and where can I get one. So where can
I get one (I won't even bother with "why")?

-mk

Quote:> Netscape 4.06 has been put on the Netscape ftp site and  is available
> for download.

> Get it while you can!  ;)  They seem to pull versions off after a while.

> So far I haven't been able to find a port of 4.5 or 5.0 for SCO.

Netscape 4.06

Post by Mike Dea » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

In netconfig under advanced options.

> There is just one problem -- it (4.06) won't run:

>  Netscape Communicator 4: This program is not licensed.

> So I called 800-SCO-UNIX asking about the license. "Call Netscape people",
> they said, "they're in charge of licenses for the latest version". So
> I called... Neither Netscape sales nor tech-support had any idea why
> SCO version needs a license and where can I get one. So where can
> I get one (I won't even bother with "why")?

> -mk

> > Netscape 4.06 has been put on the Netscape ftp site and  is available
> > for download.

> > Get it while you can!  ;)  They seem to pull versions off after a while.

> > So far I haven't been able to find a port of 4.5 or 5.0 for SCO.

Netscape 4.06

Post by Evan Hu » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>There is just one problem -- it (4.06) won't run:

> Netscape Communicator 4: This program is not licensed.

>So I called 800-SCO-UNIX asking about the license. "Call Netscape people",
>they said, "they're in charge of licenses for the latest version". So
>I called... Neither Netscape sales nor tech-support had any idea why
>SCO version needs a license and where can I get one. So where can
>I get one (I won't even bother with "why")?

It has a license because that's how we distinguish between 40-bit and
128-bit encryption.  It really ought to just come with a 40-bit license,
or (even better) be custom-installable so that the license can be installed
silently.  I'll see if I can figure out what license data they're using
and generate one you all can use.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 4.05 license will continue to work on
4.06, though, so maybe you can install 4.05 from SCO's website
(www2.sco.com/downloads), then pop in the new binaries.

--
                  Evan Hunt   -   evanh at sco dot com

"It will be a great day when our schools get all the guns they need and
 the Air Force has to beat people to death with loaves of zucchini bread."

Netscape 4.06

Post by Mikhail Kuperbl » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Netscape Communicator 4: This program is not licensed.

> It has a license because that's how we distinguish between 40-bit and
> 128-bit encryption.  It really ought to just come with a 40-bit license,
> or (even better) be custom-installable so that the license can be installed
> silently.  I'll see if I can figure out what license data they're using
> and generate one you all can use.

> I wouldn't be surprised if a 4.05 license will continue to work on
> 4.06, though, so maybe you can install 4.05 from SCO's website
> (www2.sco.com/downloads), then pop in the new binaries.

That did it. Thanks!

-mk

Netscape 4.06

Post by Mark A. Davi » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >There is just one problem -- it (4.06) won't run:

> > Netscape Communicator 4: This program is not licensed.

> >So I called 800-SCO-UNIX asking about the license. "Call Netscape people",
> >they said, "they're in charge of licenses for the latest version". So
> >I called... Neither Netscape sales nor tech-support had any idea why
> >SCO version needs a license and where can I get one. So where can
> >I get one (I won't even bother with "why")?

> It has a license because that's how we distinguish between 40-bit and
> 128-bit encryption.  It really ought to just come with a 40-bit license,
> or (even better) be custom-installable so that the license can be installed
> silently.  I'll see if I can figure out what license data they're using
> and generate one you all can use.

> I wouldn't be surprised if a 4.05 license will continue to work on
> 4.06, though, so maybe you can install 4.05 from SCO's website
> (www2.sco.com/downloads), then pop in the new binaries.

I must have missed something.  I use 3.04 everyday; just downloaded from
ftp.netscape.com and ran it.  I have 4.04 also, and that runs.  Do 4.05
& 4.06 required licensing in some way???  If so, what license and why?
This seems to ring a bell back in my memory, but I can't seem to recall
anything.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy"  |

Netscape 4.06

Post by Dave Richard » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

All-

    I hope 4.06 is working out for some of you, because we had to roll
it back to 4.04.
4.04 is still by *far* the most stable version.  4.05 seemed to have
some 'streams leaks'
whereby it would consume more and more streams on the system until the
system would
run out of them.  It also would just stop loading pages and hang a
*lot*.  Now, in 4.06,
many pages that have Java in them, cause Netscape to report "Starting
Java" and then
simply stop running and hang.  They had this same problem with early 4.x
versions up to
4.04.    The same thing happened at my home SCO system as well.

    I have placed Netscape 4.04 on our web server for you to download if
you would like,
I think it was pulled from the Netscape site and is unavailable there
now.  If you want to
surf without having to rip your hair out, use 4.04

 Go to http://www.largo.com/skunkware/

    I have a few other goodies in there too.

Dave Richards
City of Largo

Netscape 4.06

Post by Evan Hu » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I must have missed something.  I use 3.04 everyday; just downloaded from
>ftp.netscape.com and ran it.  I have 4.04 also, and that runs.  Do 4.05
>& 4.06 required licensing in some way???  If so, what license and why?
>This seems to ring a bell back in my memory, but I can't seem to recall
>anything.

Depending on what OS you're using, a license for 3.04 is probably included
in the OS license bundle, so it would just run as soon as it was installed.
4.04 was put on the website as a pre-release product without any
licensing (and without any strong encryption), so it runs without a
license as well.  But 4.05 is built with SCO licensing, purely so that
we can distinguish between domestic and export encryption; the version
you download from our website includes a free export license that is
added silently during installation.

Someone else posted that the 4.05 license worked for 4.06, so that
saves me some trouble, here...  if you want to install the new
Netscape binary without the hassle of installing the old one from
SCO's website first, here's the command to license it:

# brand -g -a "k0;q0;mmz67aq" NSCOMMLIC hkinrloh

(Mind you, if you have enough bandwidth that two separate downloads aren't
a big hassle, I do recommend installing 4.05 from SCO and then updating
the binaries; our version includes some preferences-file customizations,
a desktop icon and a nice command-line startup script that aren't in
the vanilla Netscape release.)

In the next day or two I'll be testing the new 4.06 binary and if
it's acceptable, I'll put a custom-installable package on the website,
and also hand it back to Netscape for *their* website.  Many thanks to
the person who posted here that it was available, by the way, as nobody
told *me*. :)

--

Post by John W. Templ » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>It has a license because that's how we distinguish between 40-bit and
>128-bit encryption.

Does the free license posted on SCO's web page for 4.05 give 128-bit
encryption?  If not, how do we get 128-bit?

--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

Netscape 4.06

Post by Evan Hu » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Does the free license posted on SCO's web page for 4.05 give 128-bit
>encryption?  If not, how do we get 128-bit?

No, it doesn't; to enable 128-bit encryption you need the "SCO Strong
Encryption Supplement".  That product consists, more or less entirely,
of a license; 128-bit encryption features in other products either work
or don't, depending on whether the license has been installed.

Unfortunately, only US and Canadian sites can get it.  I see from
your .signature file that you're in Kuwait, so it won't be available
for you.  Sorry.

Others, see http://www.sco.com/products/internet/products/encrypt.htm
for more information.

--
                  Evan Hunt   -   evanh at sco dot com

"It will be a great day when our schools get all the guns they need and
 the Air Force has to beat people to death with loaves of zucchini bread."

Netscape 4.06

Post by John W. Templ » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    I hope 4.06 is working out for some of you, because we had to roll
>it back to 4.04.
>4.04 is still by *far* the most stable version.  4.05 seemed to have
>some 'streams leaks'
>whereby it would consume more and more streams on the system until the
>system would
>run out of them.

I never saw "streams leaks" with any version of Netscape, but Netscape
(and the X server) would certainly use up more and more memory the
longer you used them.  I found restarting the X server every few days
got things back to normal; rebooting was never required.

Quote:>  It also would just stop loading pages and hang a
>*lot*.

For me, this problem was solved by turning off JavaScript.

Quote:> Now, in 4.06,
>many pages that have Java in them, cause Netscape to report "Starting
>Java" and then
>simply stop running and hang.  They had this same problem with early 4.x
>versions up to
>4.04.

I saw this problem in earlier 4.0x versions as well, but 4.06 works
perfectly for me.  I've even run the SwingSet demo in 4.06, and I can't
imagine a tougher workout for the JVM.

--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

1. Apache problem - Netscape 4.06

Hi,

I have an installation of Apache 1.3.6 on Sparc
Solaris 2.6 and there seems to be a problem with
Netscape 4.06.

It is only associated with a set number of
sites(all with the same (very complex) layout) but
the problem is confusing to say the least.

When you go to one of these sites (which are
complex framesets of cgi scripts, javascript,
flash movies, Server Side Includes and Cascading
Style Sheets (all from index page)) the site loads
in as normal but when the last frame(which is a
flash movie) finishes loading, the browser
refreshes ALL frames and the browser crashes.

The most confusing thing about this is that the
problem only happens once when you first look at
the site(even if you clear the cache).  Also, it
only refreshes on FIRST visit.

Tried disabling keepalive, no luck.

The site works fine in Netscape 4.51 and 4.6 ( and
certain installations of 4.0x).

I have had to return to using NCSA (which causes
no problems whatsoever).

Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Smith
Systems Administrator/Developer
MotorTRAK - www.motortrak.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Trouble Booting a IIsi

3. Netscape 4.06 just won't SOCKS

4. RCS script usage - Help !!

5. Netscape 4.06 using OSF/3.2 libs

6. IMMEDIATE OPENING

7. How to install Netscape 4.06 or 4.5 ???

8. Here is a sample code (Was "How to catch SIGCHLD while sleeping")

9. Problems with Netscape 4.06 and SuSE 5.3

10. Netscape 4.06 is out and seems pretty solid!

11. Unkillable netscape 4.06 on AIX

12. Netscape 4.06

13. Editing path for Netscape 4.06-Please help