Cannot assign requested address

Post by Gary L. Burno » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

_Only_since_installing_OS5_:

Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to a site who's address ends in .32 or
.31, I get the following message:

Unable to connect to remote host: Cannot assign requested address

I can even get this to occur by specifying a bogus address ending in .32
or .31

Anyone have a clue what the cause o this is?

                  How you look depends on where you go.

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Gary L. Burnore writes:

> _Only_since_installing_OS5_:

> Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to a site who's address ends in .32 or
> .31, I get the following message:

> Unable to connect to remote host: Cannot assign requested address

> I can even get this to occur by specifying a bogus address ending in .32
> or .31

> Anyone have a clue what the cause o this is?

You've subnetted, haven't you?

There does seem to be a problem with reaching any outside host whose last
octed in its IP number is one of those you discard locally when you subnet.
This was discussed at FORUM, and I believe a fix is in the works.

--

Cannot assign requested address

Post by Gary L. Burnor » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>_Only_since_installing_OS5_:

>Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to a site who's address ends in .32 or
>.31, I get the following message:

>Unable to connect to remote host: Cannot assign requested address

>I can even get this to occur by specifying a bogus address ending in .32
>or .31

Sorry for following up to my own post but...

The problem is definately related to my subnet mask 255.255.255.224  so I can't get to the following ending
ip's:

31 .32 .63 .64 .127 and .128

If i use ifconfig net1 down to shut down my internal tcp/ip network, then I can connect.  Is there anything I
can do short of changing ip addresses or netmask?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Sam Liddicott writes:

> > There does seem to be a problem with reaching any outside host whose last
> > octed in its IP number is one of those you discard locally when you subnet.
> > This was discussed at FORUM, and I believe a fix is in the works.

> What is FORUM?

SCO FORUM 95, held last week in Santa Cruz.
There were around 2500 people, perhaps 40% of them from outside the USA.

--

-----------
                How you look depends on where you go.
-----------
Gary L. Burnore                       |
Director, Programming & Development   |
Myers Information Systems, Inc.       |             (blank)
Santa Clara, CA      - 408/247-4727   |
West Springfield, MA - 413/733-4888   |
===========

Post by D. Lee Pen » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>_Only_since_installing_OS5_:

>>Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to a site who's address ends in .32 or
>>.31, I get the following message:....

You are not dreaming... SCO does have a fix for this. We happen to have
the driver.o file you need.  I'm forwarding this to Chris Daniels who'll
send it to you with instructions....

--

[SCO APC, 7444 Jager Ct., Cincinnati, OH 45230-4344    FAX: (513) 232-7801]
[ http://www.dlpco.com                                                    ]

Cannot assign requested address

Post by D. Lee Pen » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>>_Only_since_installing_OS5_:

>>>Whenever I try to telnet or ftp to a site who's address ends in .32 or
>>>.31, I get the following message:....
>You are not dreaming... SCO does have a fix for this. We happen to have
>the driver.o file you need.  I'm forwarding this to Chris Daniels who'll
>send it to you with instructions....
>--

>[SCO APC, 7444 Jager Ct., Cincinnati, OH 45230-4344    FAX: (513) 232-7801]
>[ http://www.dlpco.com                                                    ]

This was not meant to go world wide.  DLP will remove this fix from our
ftp site as a result of a direct request from Bela.

Send mail to Bela if you want the fix.  Perhaps SCO will speed up an SLS
for this one.  It causes a lot of problems and needs rapid attention.

Sorry Gary.

We have tested the fix and it works.  It replaces a single Driver.o file
and requires a relink.

--

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> This was not meant to go world wide.  DLP will remove this fix from our
> ftp site as a result of a direct request from Bela.

> Send mail to Bela if you want the fix.  Perhaps SCO will speed up an SLS
> for this one.  It causes a lot of problems and needs rapid attention.

Please don't.  I haven't even seen a copy of the fix.  All I know is
that it exists, and that it is a preliminary version which should not be
distributed all over the place.
Quote:>Bela<

1. sco_cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address

Since resinstalling OSR5.0.4c over the weekend, my /uar/adm/syslog shows
the following errors:

May 26 09:21:28 ris sco_cpd: cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address
May 27 09:21:29 ris sco_cpd: cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address
May 28 09:21:31 ris sco_cpd: cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address

They are also echoed to the console (tty01) and occur at 9:21 each day. A
check of crontab shows no processes being fired off then or shortly
before.

Any idea of what this error/warning/notice means and what, if anything, do
I need to do about it?

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO       OR: (812) 989-0174
1560 Zoar Church Road NE             FAX: (812) 366-3618

WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com

2. max stripe size with VxVM

3. ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

4. fattach() fail / "nmgetid(): could not establish a unique node id"

5. apache startup error: cannot assign requested address: make_sock.

6. alias cd

7. SATAN cannot assign requested address

8. tcpdump + IFS = no sense?

9. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

10. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)

11. Cannot Assign Requested Address ?

12. pppd demand dialing - ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

13. TALK cannot assign requested address (99)