ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

Post by evers.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It appears that PPP had been enabled on this machine at sometime, but I
am now trying to disable it because I keep getting: ifconfig: ioctl
(SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface, when looking at ifconfig -a. I have
commented the line in /etc/strcf reading: pppip ip. and I have checked
the /etc/tcp file for any other interfaces pretaining to ppp, and have
found none. I don't know what else to do at this point. I am running a
kind of old version of SCO on this system. It is Open Server v4.2. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanx!!

Josh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Robert Sid » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

: It appears that PPP had been enabled on this machine at sometime, but I
: am now trying to disable it because I keep getting: ifconfig: ioctl
: (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface, when looking at ifconfig -a. I have
: commented the line in /etc/strcf reading: pppip ip. and I have checked
: the /etc/tcp file for any other interfaces pretaining to ppp, and have
: found none. I don't know what else to do at this point. I am running a
: kind of old version of SCO on this system. It is Open Server v4.2. Any
: help would be appreciated.

: Thanx!!

: Josh

What happens if you use netconfig to remove the ppp chains from
your kernel.

Rob

--
Robert Side               | Postal Address: #205-1095 McKenzie Ave, V8P 2L5

Victoria, B.C. Canada     | WWW:   http://www.aiinc.ca  fax:   250 479 0764

ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

Post by sher » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Below is an excerpt of a reply that I got from
"The Guru in this newsgroup - JP (Jean-Pierre Radley).
I had the exact same problem this week and this was his
response. I'm sure he won't mind me forwarding this
excerpt.

There aren't a lot of choices.  Type
        grep ifconfig /etc/tcp

The lo0 should exist (and ifconfig -a should show it to you).

So it's one of the other lines in /etc/tcp where ifconfig is failing.

---

I did the following and it worked...

I commented out the line in /etc/tcp, which
referred to ppp0. On reboot the error is gone.
Thanks JP for your assistance.

Post by evers.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> : It appears that PPP had been enabled on this machine at sometime,
but I
> : am now trying to disable it because I keep getting: ifconfig: ioctl
> : (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface, when looking at ifconfig -a. I
have
> : commented the line in /etc/strcf reading: pppip ip. and I have
checked
> : the /etc/tcp file for any other interfaces pretaining to ppp, and
have
> : found none. I don't know what else to do at this point. I am
running a
> : kind of old version of SCO on this system. It is Open Server v4.2.
Any
> : help would be appreciated.

> : Thanx!!

> : Josh

> What happens if you use netconfig to remove the ppp chains from
> your kernel.

> Rob

> --
> Robert Side               | Postal Address: #205-1095 McKenzie Ave,
V8P 2L5

8646
> Victoria, B.C. Canada     | WWW:   http://www.aiinc.ca     fax:
250 479 0764

I have looked at this too, and there are no ppp chains listed in
netconfig. this is a very strange problem.

Thanks