Accessing data files on a NW box via dialup

Accessing data files on a NW box via dialup

Post by bob flag » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for no or low cost solutions.
I have an SCO OpenDeskTop server that has Foxpro v2.6 for Unix running on
it.  It has a 16 port Digiboard which allows Dos clients to connect using
terminal software (Telix) to run the FP app.

My problem is that the files the app needs to access is on a Novell 4.1
server.  I think that using an NFS product I should be able to access
those files remotely.  Most of the big name solutions are very much
over-kill and prohibitively costly.  Is there a solution to my problem
which costs in the $200-$300 range (or less)? Does anyone know of a port
of the Linux nwmount program to SCO?

Thanks in advance

--

BonFire Enterprises
System Integration

Accessing data files on a NW box via dialup

Post by Michael Thielk » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

When you take a look at your OSR5 CD, you'll find something called SCO
Gateway for NetWare. It does just that and runs with the OSR5 license
key.
Just dont't use it with 3c59x in 100Mbps mode, it won't work right

Mike

>I am looking for no or low cost solutions.
>I have an SCO OpenDeskTop server that has Foxpro v2.6 for Unix running
on
>it.  It has a 16 port Digiboard which allows Dos clients to connect
using
>terminal software (Telix) to run the FP app.

>My problem is that the files the app needs to access is on a Novell 4.1
>server.  I think that using an NFS product I should be able to access
>those files remotely.  Most of the big name solutions are very much
>over-kill and prohibitively costly.  Is there a solution to my problem
>which costs in the $200-$300 range (or less)? Does anyone know of a
port
>of the Linux nwmount program to SCO?

>Thanks in advance

1. Access Win-NW via Linux modem?

Hi!

I have a network of 1 RH5 Linux, 1 NT4 server and a bunch of Win95's.
On the NT I have 1 modem. (RAS)
On the Linux I have 3 modems. (RH5, ppp-2.3.3, mgetty)

Using Win95:
If I dial the NT modem I have access as if I where on the ethernet,
regarding TCP/IP and NetBEUI etc..

If I dial the Linux, all I can do is TCP/IP: ping etc.

When I login I get a dialog to fill in my Windows-network username/passwd.
But then it says it couldn't find a server to send it to.

I can ping etc. all machines without problem.

I compiled the Linux kernel with forwarding etc..

Do I in some way have to tell Linux to use NetBEUI over TCP/IP?
Then please: HOW?

NW setup:

10.0.0.10     10.0.0.1      10.0.0.2
modem----------linux---HUB----NT

                        +-----Other Win95's
                               10.0.0.xx

Regards Martin/

This is just my opinion and has nothing to do
with the company named "Ericsson"

2. SUN LVM

3. How secure is a data file accessed via cgi?

4. Redhat 5.0 - bash - error ?

5. Problems with mouse-set-font

6. CDROM access for SGI box via Linux box

7. 1.3.9+OpenSSL 0.9.4

8. I installed via ftp but have no more @home access and want to configure ppp dialup...

9. Dialup access to Linux box.

10. Gator eWallet Insecure User Data files Encryption and Gator BackUp / Banner Server Access/File retrieving

11. accessing data on old HD put into newer Linux box?

12. Motorola v60i and Linux -- Accessing Internet via Serial Data Kit