Broken out of the box....

Post by johndo » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

If there is anyone out there with any knowledge to impart to me on this
matter please respond.   I am TRYING to  install Openserver 5.0.4 on an HP
Netserver LH 5\100, which is listed in the hardware compatiblity guide as
compliant.   Apparently the alad (adaptec 2940 scsi drivers) are
incompatible, the install was* initially.   So I went to their web
site and downloaded new (NO1) boot disks which are supposed to address this
issue, but to no avail.  I have installed the OS 3 different times using
all the different boot disks and am at my wits end.  It tries to boot
itself upon powering up but always hangs at the hardware check at the "f
aladinit" check.   Please respond,  Thanx in advance, John Doe

Broken out of the box....

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

johndoe enscribed:
| If there is anyone out there with any knowledge to impart to me on this
| matter please respond.   I am TRYING to  install Openserver 5.0.4 on an HP
| Netserver LH 5\100, which is listed in the hardware compatiblity guide as
| compliant.   Apparently the alad (adaptec 2940 scsi drivers) are
| incompatible, the install was* initially.   So I went to their web
| site and downloaded new (NO1) boot disks which are supposed to address this
| issue, but to no avail.  I have installed the OS 3 different times using
| all the different boot disks and am at my wits end.  It tries to boot
| itself upon powering up but always hangs at the hardware check at the "f
| aladinit" check.   Please respond,  Thanx in advance, John Doe

Oh!  How do you know your machine is 'tested and certified'?  The
CWHP does not list any peripheral description for that test, meaning
that the listing is for a box with that name containing a number of
unknown parts.  System certification is only good for a specific
machine(s) with specific internals.  There is no absolute guarantee
that the SuperHot Freon Cooler Server tested on Jun 15 bears any
resemblance to the SuperHot Freon Server purchased on Aug 15.  Hopefully
they are reasonably identical, but YMMV.

Broken out of the box....

Post by Larry Foot » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

You don't indicate what type of controller you have in the machine.  Is it a
RAID array controller?   If so, have you initialized the RAID array with the
HP Netserver Navigator CD?

I have installed OpenServer 5.0.4 on a Netserver LS/2 with a RAID array and
just tonight I installed 5.0.5 on an LC3 with a single SCSI drive with no
problems at all.

I know there were some issues with the HP RAID controllers requiring boot
time loadable drivers, but those were eliminated with 5.0.4.  Are you
entering a bootstring at the boot prompt?  Try installing without the
bootstring.
<============================================>
Larry Foote
Footeware Software Systems

>If there is anyone out there with any knowledge to impart to me on this
>matter please respond.   I am TRYING to  install Openserver 5.0.4 on an HP
>Netserver LH 5\100, which is listed in the hardware compatiblity guide as
>compliant.   Apparently the alad (adaptec 2940 scsi drivers) are
>incompatible, the install was* initially.   So I went to their web
>site and downloaded new (NO1) boot disks which are supposed to address this
>issue, but to no avail.  I have installed the OS 3 different times using
>all the different boot disks and am at my wits end.  It tries to boot
>itself upon powering up but always hangs at the hardware check at the "f
>aladinit" check.   Please respond,  Thanx in advance, John Doe

Broken out of the box....

Post by Qma » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If there is anyone out there with any knowledge to impart to me on this
>matter please respond.   I am TRYING to  install Openserver 5.0.4 on an HP
>Netserver LH 5\100, which is listed in the hardware compatiblity guide as
>compliant.   Apparently the alad (adaptec 2940 scsi drivers) are
>incompatible, the install was* initially.   So I went to their web
>site and downloaded new (NO1) boot disks which are supposed to address this
>issue, but to no avail.  I have installed the OS 3 different times using
>all the different boot disks and am at my wits end.  It tries to boot
>itself upon powering up but always hangs at the hardware check at the "f
>aladinit" check.   Please respond,  Thanx in advance, John Doe

What devices are on the alad.  Also check your termination, it may not
be correct.

1. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

So many repetitive messages asking the same questions!  Does noone bother
to grep the topics for possible solutions?

Here are some of the answers to your problems:

If you upgrade to ELF libraries, you need an ELF linker:  get new ld.so.

If you upgrade your kernel, you will likely need to upgrade to (or higher):
termcap 2.0.8, proc-ps.0.99a, libc 5.3.12 (see below!), modules-1.3.69f,
gcc 2.7.2.

If you upgrade your libc, you will need to patch or upgrade make to make
3.74.

It may possible that when you upgrade your compiler, you may need to
install a new (ELF) libc.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

2. devfs locking

3. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

4. NIS (PAM) client problem - please help

5. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

6. Need help

7. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

8. How to emulate a 3-button mouse with a standard Apple mouse?

9. Parallel port break-out box

10. I broke c-news on my linux box, how to fix?

11. DNS name resolution broken on one of two RH boxes

12. Black Box - how to BREAK !

13. x86 box networking is semi-broken