PPP Morning Star / Filters

Post by Brent Boli » Fri, 08 Aug 1997 04:00:00

OSR5.0.4

My system times out, and hangs up.  It then reconnects to my ISP after a
short period of time(3min).

Some questions:

1. /usr/lib/mstp/Autostart  - what is the idle time secounds?, or
minutes?.

2. Why does my system keep dialing my ISP when nothing is going on.

        A. are system calls bringing the interface up?.
        B. are there mstppp filters that need to be setup.
        C. what are these cryptic filter names

My guess is a number of things are establising the connection.
/usr/adm/pppd.log shows entries
for "domain", "telnet".

Is there a good description of filters somewhere?.

Cheers

PPP Morning Star / Filters

Post by John W. Templ » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>1. /usr/lib/mstp/Autostart  - what is the idle time secounds?, or
>minutes?.

>2. Why does my system keep dialing my ISP when nothing is going on.

>    A. are system calls bringing the interface up?.
>    B. are there mstppp filters that need to be setup.
>    C. what are these cryptic filter names

Since you didn't show us the contents of your Autostart, your questions
can't be answered.  But the default is no idle timeout, and
/usr/lib/mstppp/Filter as the filter, which need not be present.  And
if you enable debugging ("debug 2" on your pppd command line), you'll
see why the link goes up and down in the debug log.

Quote:>Is there a good description of filters somewhere?.

Go to scohelp, look under "SCO Internet Family Documentation."  The
majority of the MST PPP documentation is about filters.
--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

1. SCO PPP vs Morning Star PPP

Hi,

I've just been playing around with 5.0.4 and am trying to decide whether
to keep using SCO PPP or switch to Morningstar PPP when I actually get
around to upgrading our main server (currently 5.0.2).  We maintain a
permanent internet link via modem plus have a number of remote users
dialing in using PPP and also access most of our client sites using PPP.
We have had very few problems at all with SCO PPP and would be quite
happy to keep on using it.  However, SCO seem to be pushing Morningstar
PPP for internet related stuff.

What benefits would I get from switching to Morningstar PPP?

TIA.

Scott.

MU Systems Pty Ltd                                Phone: +61 7 3351 6677
Brisbane Australia
Authorised SCO Reseller       C & Informix Development & Support for SCO

2. QU: commandline parsing: "=" operation

3. ppp Morning Star on 5.0.2 ?

4. video4linux/elsa victory erazor

5. ROUTER whith ppp Morning Star

6. Anyone use FreeBSD for a server platform?

7. PPP without Morning star

8. Sysadmin favorite commands list

9. Morning Star PPP

10. More help needed with Morning Star PPP

11. Morning Star PPP

12. Morning Star PPP Connection Problem

13. USING SCO MORNING STAR PPP AND WORLNDET.