Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Joseph Wisd » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

For several years, we were using SCO Professional release 2.1.0 and
were successfully able to use it across several Xenix and Unix upgrades.
Now that we've upgraded to SCO OpenServer 5.0, some of the features seem
to have broken in SCO Professional, like the formatting of currency
values.  I've re-installed it twice now to be sure that it was installed
correctly, but the same problem persists.  I know that SCO doesn't
support Professional in any fashion anymore (or so I'm under the
impression of)... but I would like to know if there are any known fixes
for this.... or if there are any other commercial-grade Lotus 1-2-3 clone
programs out there.  Evidently, Lotus itself has dropped production and
support for their Unix System V version of the program, so that dismisses
that possibility.  I thank anyone in advance for their help or suggestions.

Joseph Wisdom

--

Post by Clark Coop » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> For several years, we were using SCO Professional release 2.1.0 and
> were successfully able to use it across several Xenix and Unix upgrades.
> Now that we've upgraded to SCO OpenServer 5.0, some of the features seem
> to have broken in SCO Professional, like the formatting of currency
> values.  I've re-installed it twice now to be sure that it was installed
> correctly, but the same problem persists.  I know that SCO doesn't
> support Professional in any fashion anymore (or so I'm under the
> impression of)... but I would like to know if there are any known fixes
> for this.... or if there are any other commercial-grade Lotus 1-2-3 clone
> programs out there.  Evidently, Lotus itself has dropped production and
> support for their Unix System V version of the program, so that dismisses
> that possibility.  I thank anyone in advance for their help or suggestions.

Well, there's Computer Associates' 20/20 (was Access Technology 20/20 until the
evil CA empire consumed it ;^).   I haven't seen a recent version,
though, so I don't know how well it stacks up.  I think the latest version
will run under ODT and is capable of graphing, etc., but I'm not sure.
--

                IMU Information Systems, The University of Iowa

Post by Mark Dav » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> For several years, we were using SCO Professional release 2.1.0 and
>> were successfully able to use it across several Xenix and Unix upgrades.
>> Now that we've upgraded to SCO OpenServer 5.0, some of the features seem
>> to have broken in SCO Professional, like the formatting of currency
>> values.  I've re-installed it twice now to be sure that it was installed
>> correctly, but the same problem persists.  I know that SCO doesn't
>> support Professional in any fashion anymore (or so I'm under the
>> impression of)... but I would like to know if there are any known fixes
>> for this.... or if there are any other commercial-grade Lotus 1-2-3 clone
>> programs out there.  Evidently, Lotus itself has dropped production and
>> support for their Unix System V version of the program, so that dismisses
>> that possibility.  I thank anyone in advance for their help or suggestions.

Join the crowd of people who would happily pay pay pay for a new, revisited
and revised version of SCO-PRO.  However, SCO refuses to even think about
resurrecting the code, and they will have either of two lame excuses:
1) the damn "Windows friendly" crap, which means no more applications for SCO
Unix  and/or 2) The legal issues with Lotus, which are certainly now dead
since they dropped 123 Unix.  Certainly SCO could license back the code and
fix it, or get permissions and pay royalties to produce SCO-PRO 3.

Are you listening SCO?  I have money in my budget to but SCO-PRO 3 and
a newer version of Foxbase, and any other productivity applications.....

Yes, it makes me angry....  sorry about the tone.
  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Warren Le » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

A while ago I put Pro on my OpenServer box also and ran into the same
problem, if I recall correctly.  I worked around it by doing a /WGDOIP
(/ Worksheet Global Default Other International Punctuation)
and selecting 'A' ("." for decimal, "," for arg & thousands separator).
I may have had to set the currency char to "$" also, I don't recall.
Setting any other i18n settings in this menu that seem to be bogus
should be all that's needed.

I also did a /WGDU (/ Worksheet Global Default Update) to save the
choices to the ~/.pro2cnf preferences file, otherwise you'll have to
redo the /WGDOIP every time you start up.
--warrenl

> For several years, we were using SCO Professional release 2.1.0 and
> were successfully able to use it across several Xenix and Unix upgrades.
> Now that we've upgraded to SCO OpenServer 5.0, some of the features seem
> to have broken in SCO Professional, like the formatting of currency
> values.  I've re-installed it twice now to be sure that it was installed
> correctly, but the same problem persists.  I know that SCO doesn't
> support Professional in any fashion anymore (or so I'm under the
> impression of)... but I would like to know if there are any known fixes
> for this.... or if there are any other commercial-grade Lotus 1-2-3 clone
> programs out there.  Evidently, Lotus itself has dropped production and
> support for their Unix System V version of the program, so that dismisses
> that possibility.  I thank anyone in advance for their help or suggestions.

Warren Levy                                      Senior Software Engineer
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.                     User Environment Group
P.O. Box 1900                                           +1 (408) 427-7777
400 Encinal Street                                 fax: +1 (408) 427-5417

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Joel Robins » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Looks like every char mode applic for SCO is dead:

        foxpro - not even a bug fix
        pro - dead
        123 for unix - dead
        wordperfect 5.2+ - hardly worth the effort
        word 5.1 - nothing doing
        informix 4gl - nothing doing

Character mode is dead even if it is the correct solution, judging by the
marketplace.  Msoft et all seem to think a P90/16mb/1g is the entry level and
should be on everyone's desk.

But is there enough of a market left for the above products if someone bought
them and kept them supported?

Just some thoughts.

Joel Robinson

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>     I think it unfortunate that there isn't some kind of special pricing
> (or, at least, none that I am aware of) for the development kit. The key
> to having a strong operating system acceptance is lots of available
> software. How can you get software written for your OS? Make the
> compilers affordable to those of us with house payments, car payments,
> kids in school, etc. etc.

"None that you are aware of" is the right answer.  SCO has always had a
Developer's Program which offers various sorts of discounts and other
sorts of stuff.  (I'm being vague because, while I *am* aware of the
program, I haven't looked at what it offers for a couple years.  I do
know that it still exists).  I will ask Dion to post a summary.  (Moving
this part of the thread to .programmer...)
Quote:>Bela<

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Sean Embr » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

    I think that the market has shown that:

    1). GUI under Unix is too slow, expensive, and just shy of
unsupportable from the standard (EI, little or no knowlege of unix)
system administrator,
    2). Market share is too small,
    3). Purse's of users too small.

    MicroSloth does one thing right: If you are currently producing a
commerical product, they will almost give you their software compilers.
(I am frequently offered "special deals" for C++ and other products.)

    I think it unfortunate that there isn't some kind of special pricing
(or, at least, none that I am aware of) for the development kit. The key
to having a strong operating system acceptance is lots of available
software. How can you get software written for your OS? Make the
compilers affordable to those of us with house payments, car payments,
kids in school, etc. etc.

    In addition, I've used Visual C++, and the ease of setting up a GUI
application just about leaves me speachless. I don't develop any GUI's
for SCO Unix, so I don't know if there is any kind of development
enviroment for Unix that works like Visual C++, but if there is, I
haven't run across it. Just referances to TCL, and I really don't have
time to look at it right now.

    I beleive that when an OS starts having fewer and fewer products
written for it, that OS is on a slide toward oblivion.

    I feel that lack of a native spread sheet for SCO Unix is a serious
deficenticy.

--
Sean

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Michael P. Deign » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    MicroSloth does one thing right: If you are currently producing a
>commerical product, they will almost give you their software compilers.
>(I am frequently offered "special deals" for C++ and other products.)

Serious, long-term product commitment to an operating system requires
more than offering compiler products at no cost.

SCO does have an attractive developer's program for companies
interested in developing their products under SCO.

MD
-- "Who needs looks when you've got taste?"
--

Post by Mark Dav » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>    I think that the market has shown that:
>    1). GUI under Unix is too slow,

And yet it is not slower than any other GUI when it is coded correctly.

Quote:> expensive,

How so?  Yes, compared to character based environments, but not compared to
other multiuser graphical environments.

Quote:> and just shy of
>unsupportable from the standard (EI, little or no knowlege of unix)
>system administrator,

????  I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  A Unix admin
certainly CAN support X, and a hell of a lot easier than a myriad of
PC's running MS-Windows!

Quote:>    2). Market share is too small,

One of the results of  Microsoft's unethical business practices.
Although the market would still be comparatively small even if Microsoft
were under control.

Quote:>    3). Purse's of users too small.

A properly configured multiuser X environment is actually less expensive
to own and maintain than MS-Windows environments.

Quote:>    MicroSloth does one thing right: If you are currently producing a
>commerical product, they will almost give you their software compilers.
>(I am frequently offered "special deals" for C++ and other products.)

Agreed.

Quote:>    I think it unfortunate that there isn't some kind of special pricing
>(or, at least, none that I am aware of) for the development kit. The key
>to having a strong operating system acceptance is lots of available
>software. How can you get software written for your OS? Make the
>compilers affordable to those of us with house payments, car payments,
>kids in school, etc. etc.

Agreed again.

Quote:>    I beleive that when an OS starts having fewer and fewer products
>written for it, that OS is on a slide toward oblivion.

And yet agreed again.

Quote:>    I feel that lack of a native spread sheet for SCO Unix is a serious
>deficenticy.

And even strongly agreed once again....

Post by Evan Leibovit » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>MicroSloth does one thing right: If you are currently producing a
>commerical product, they will almost give you their software compilers.
>(I am frequently offered "special deals" for C++ and other products.)
>I think it unfortunate that there isn't some kind of special pricing
>(or, at least, none that I am aware of) for the development kit. The key
>to having a strong operating system acceptance is lots of available
>software. How can you get software written for your OS? Make the
>compilers affordable to those of us with house payments, car payments,
>kids in school, etc. etc.

Things UnixWare Did Right #2734: Make the SDK very affordable.

When UnixWare first came out its SDK was as expensive as SCO's, and you
needed to buy additional extras if you were writing drivers or Motif.
They learned quickly that nobody was writing apps.

So the mentality changed. When Prime Time Freeware wanted to produce
a CD of the GNU development tools, they asked Novell, and received,
permission to include on the CD the standard libraries. For those that
couldn't afford the full SDK, Novell indirectly supported the cheaper
GNU alternatives (more than a year before SCO got the idea to do it too).

In the 1.1 release, though, the market for the GNU tools dropped like a
stone, as Novell released the UW SDK for $100, and it now included the
driver and Motif stuff.

A loss leader? Of course, but like Avis, when you're number 2 you have
to try harder. As a result, UnixWare has had far better commercial
software support than any non-SCO Intel Unix product. And the SDK is
(or should be) a standard part of any UW purchase.

In the 2.0 release, Novell went even further. The base Application Server
comes with a compiler, libraries and basic tools, more than enough to
compile most Internet freeware. The SDK is only necessary if one needs
debugging tools or C++.

And, in the marketing end, Novell offered a "developer's system" which
sold qualified developers an Appliation Server and SDK for about $400.
Did they lose money with it? Probably. Was it abused by non-developers?
Likely. Was it a good idea anyway? You bet. By the time of the SCO
aquisition, all the major DBMS vendors, and most of the vertical apps
available for SCO, were either explicitly ported to UW or could easily
run there.

IMO SCO will produce a developer's program only if/when it sees a
significant threat to its market from the free Unix clones; of course,
by the time it sees such a threat, it will be too late.

Since those who can't afford SCO to do their hacking will instead do it
on Linux or FreeBSD, what will be the first platforms to support the
fruit of their works? How important is it to SCO to have these people
porting their apps to OS5 (or even better, doing the core development
on it)?

Remember, every Sybase or SAP started in some ba*t or strapped-for-cash
computer lab. The free Unix clones have a huge installed base at
academic institutions and amongst hobbyists. Is this a threat to SCO?
Not immediately, but...

Sun is now reaping the rewards of all those who cut their CS teeth on
BSD4.1; a decade from now, who will reap the reward from those doing
their first POSIX development on Linux or FreeBSD?

SCO? Not likely. The Netscape porting scenario, IMO, will be increasingly
repeated in the coming years. How different would the situation be today
had SCO implemented an agressive developers/academic program when its
Unix was first introduced?

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd., located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario

    There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types,
                            and those who don't.

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Nils.Mykleb.. » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

First: I have been working with Unix since the early 80's, have made
major applications for Unix, and make my living off that. Still:

>  Looks like every char mode applic for SCO is dead:

>    foxpro - not even a bug fix

Was this isam based thing ever a real alternative to a relational database?

Quote:>    pro - dead
>    123 for unix - dead
>    wordperfect 5.2+ - hardly worth the effort
>    word 5.1 - nothing doing

The demands of bussiness users have moved beyond these products. They can't
deliver on neither the ease of use nor the quality of results possible with
modern Windows based alternatives. If this hasen't happend at all locations
it sure will. GUI is better, much better, for this type of applications.

Quote:>    informix 4gl - nothing doing

I have used this for as long as it has been available, and I respect Informix
for not enhancing it further, but rather makeing GUI based alternatives
(NewEra) available. Except for a diminishing number of users doing nothing
but high speed data entry, we are able to make much better products for all
other users using GUI tools. For high speed data entry itself a GUI is not
needed, but even these users can somtimes benefit, and a well designed GUI
program is allways at least as good as a character mode one.
All in all - GUI is here to take over the world!
If you want to program for Motif instead of MS Windows, feel free. But you
may find your potential market to bee very small.

Quote:>  Character mode is dead even if it is the correct solution, judging by the
>  marketplace.  Msoft et all seem to think a P90/16mb/1g is the entry level and
>  should be on everyone's desk.

With falling prices this may not be all that bad. It sure is happening here in
Norway. New machines are typically in this ballpark, even for home users.
Norwegian users has historically been the first to actually buy new technology,
but this will happen all over the world - in one or two years this will be
the very lowest entry level.
*However* our users have no significant problems with 486/33/16Mb/250-500Mb today
as an entry level machine.
It all depends on what they are going to do.

Quote:

>  But is there enough of a market left for the above products if someone bought
>  them and kept them supported?

Probably not. It is also not very exiting to be in a continously declining market
so I would not bet on this.

Quote:>  Just some thoughts.

>  Joel Robinson

In another post in this thread:

>  1) the damn "Windows friendly" crap, which means no more applications for SCO
>  Unix
>  I have money in my budget to but SCO-PRO 3 and
>  a newer version of Foxbase, and any other productivity applications.....

Your problem is probably that you are one of relatively few holdouts. SCO seems
to have understood that character mode applications isn't the wave of the future.
Character mode is still appropriate for it's lower cost in some cases, but it
isn't the way the world is going. You may dislike it, but it won't be easy to
do much about it.

I must also say that your attitude towards SCO's "Windows friendly" concept is
one of the reasons why Unix never realy made it. I spoke to several Unix vendors
in the early 80's about makeing networking software available for PC's because
our *Unix* customers demanded it. At the time they disliked PC's so much that
they didn't want to tuch them.
What happend? Novell made a propriatary OS for PC networking and won the world.
Unix could have been this networking OS if only the Unix comunity haden't had
shuch strong skills at hating things.

Later some Unix people still hating PC's tried to make Unix a desktop OS using
X-Windows. They never understod the PC - although it had its share of problems
with unstability, it had lots of applications and both the PC itself and the
applications had a low price and were easy to use. That's why Microsoft won.

The marketing people at SCO has finally understod that beeing Windows friendly
is their last resort.
But I still can't install SCO on a PC and have it work as a file and printer
server for MS Windows out of the box. What I mean with this isn't that it
can't be done - the problem is that I can't do it without a lot of hard
work, and few people now how to do it. For this to be acceptable in todays
market it must be possible to insert a CD-ROM in a PC, fill data about the
configuration into GUI screens, and have the server come up as a server
for MS Windows.

So what is left for SCO is beeing a server for databases and possibly some
other server type applications (web servers comes to mind). Novell can't be
used effectively for this type of server applications, so the major competition
is Windows NT.
Does SCO have any significant advantages over Windows NT when you realy think
through all issues (forgetting about character mode programs)?
It does currently. It scales better to larger servers. Also if
you expect your application to need a very large server at some customer
site, it would be much easier to move from SCO to a say a HP Unix server
than from Windows NT. It will take Microsoft some years to be able to
compete with these large servers.

So the conclusion is we need SCO to make this kind of server.
Very Windows friendly (including standard support for file and printer
services out of the box - very easy to set up).
Very easy to set up as a server for databases, web and whatever other
server application comes along. They must work intimatly
with all suppliers of these server applications to make them run.
The discussion I have seen on cooperation with Netscape isn't reasuring
in this respect. Also the fact that Informix NewEra isn't available
for SCO comes to mind. What gives. This is your market. Or have I missed
it all?

NM-data, Aasesvei 71, 1300 Sandvika, Norway
My opinions are those of my company

Spreadsheet programs for SCO OS 5.0?

Post by Mark Dav » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Looks like every char mode applic for SCO is dead:

>    foxpro - not even a bug fix
>    pro - dead

It is essentially dead- but isn't it still being sold?

Quote:>    123 for unix - dead
>    wordperfect 5.2+ - hardly worth the effort

I STRONGLY disagree.  WordPerfect for Unix is still perhaps one of the best
pieces of personal productivity/office automation software available for
Unix.  I hightly recommend it.

Quote:>    word 5.1 - nothing doing
>    informix 4gl - nothing doing
>Character mode is dead even if it is the correct solution, judging by the
>marketplace.  Msoft et all seem to think a P90/16mb/1g is the entry level and
>should be on everyone's desk.

Indeed.  And lots of us don't have that kind of money.  And more importantly,
no where near the $$$ necessary to SUPPORT such arrangements.

Quote:>But is there enough of a market left for the above products if someone bought
>them and kept them supported?

One would think so....  the best packages are those which offer both X and
character based products (WordPerfect is a good example).

  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

1. Problems while booting under SCO OS 5.0

I've never had this problem until recently.  Environment is an Award
BIOS, Plug and Play PCI bus, Pentium 120, Symbios (nee' NCR) SCSI adaptor
with a 53c810 chip.

I can start the computer up normally, the boot prompt for SCO OS 5 appears.
The boot screen appears normally, detects the %adapter to on vector 7 dma
0 (which was autoconfigured by the PCI PnP bus...there's no currently
configured printer port), detects a %tape drive on ha=0 id=2 bus=0
ht=slha, but then gets 'stuck' at the letter  G  in the boot screen.

It then starts displaying messages like this:

WARNING:  psimq timeToDie=60 for rp=C0144F00 on ha=0 id=0 lun=0 tag=00
   CDB= 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

{this message repeats three more times, except that timeToDie is 120,
 then 180 and then 240.  With timeToDie=240, CDB has an initial number of
 25, not 00, but the rest remain as 00 ...}

NOTICE: Sdsk: MODESENSE writing SCSI disk 0 dev 45/0 (ha=0 id=0 lun=0)
block=0

WARNING: hd: no root disk controller
H iinit
PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev  (1/42)
Trying to dump 8095 pages to dumpdev (1/41) at block 0, 102 pages per '.'
Error 19 opening dumpdev (1/41)

Dump not completed

{ok to shut off/reboot message}

It is acting like it cannot access the hard drive, yet how was it able to
boot?  The hd is set to device 0.  It's recognized when the computer
boots up (shows ID, make/model)  (fyi, HD is Quantum Fireball 1080).

Any assistance on this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

or

--

2. Is there a SLIP for 0.98.3

3. Cannot umount CD-ROM on SCO OS 5.0.0d

4. Telnet-deamon for SCO Unix

5. Mosaic 2.7b1 Is it for SCO OS Release 5.0

6. Why prolong the agony? Just get Windows 95...you'll be glad (you don't have a choice)

7. Q: SCO OS 5.0 and good olde Ingres ?

8. Silly quesiton on dot vs ->

9. SCO 5.0 OS for WEB/E-Mail Server

10. Ethernet Card Not Found - SCO OS 5.0

11. Wordperfect Office for Xenix on SCO OS 5.0

12. Problems with Corollary CBUS Architecture on SCO OS 5.0.0d

13. OS 5.0 and NIS server from non-sco machines