Question: Are dual processor systems worth it?

Question: Are dual processor systems worth it?

Post by Bob Loesche » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Dual processors will boost performance in almost any environment. The key here is
to find your "slowest" link and improve that. If you have a system that is "busy"
then chances are the dual-processor will increase performance greatly. Our Dual
System supports 50 users and houses our internal databases. Lot's of I/O, lots of
Disk Activity, lots of Network activity and lots of Processes. Our speed increased
by 200%!

Post by Rory Bre » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I am in the process of drawing up a specification for a Pentium 166 based SCO
>network. I've got the option of single or dual processor motherboard, but
>before I decide I would welcome others experiences.

>Does SCO OS5 Enterprise benifit from a second processor, if so what sort of
>performance increase could I expect to see?

>The machine will have 64MB of ram would I be better off adding more ram rather
>than the additional cpu?

>Please E-Mail direct in addition to posting.

>Many thanks in advance

>Ian Mc.

It all depends what your doing.

Rory.

Post by Ian James McCart » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am in the process of drawing up a specification for a Pentium 166 based SCO
network. I've got the option of single or dual processor motherboard, but
before I decide I would welcome others experiences.

Does SCO OS5 Enterprise benifit from a second processor, if so what sort of
performance increase could I expect to see?

The machine will have 64MB of ram would I be better off adding more ram rather
than the additional cpu?

Please E-Mail direct in addition to posting.

Many thanks in advance

Ian Mc.

Question: Are dual processor systems worth it?

Post by Jonathan Senkeri » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

  The CPU performance increase is almost double (depending on motherboard,
etc...) but the performace increase that you would see depends 100% on your
application.  If you are running 1 single application that wasn't designed
for multithreading then you would see no performance increase at all.  If
you are running many applications or an application multitreading then you
would see a performance increase.
  There are three main items you have to consider when you monitor
performance.  There is CPU, memory, and Disk-usage.  You would have to
monitor all three of these to determin what is important in your system.

> I am in the process of drawing up a specification for a Pentium 166 based
SCO
> network. I've got the option of single or dual processor motherboard, but
> before I decide I would welcome others experiences.

> Does SCO OS5 Enterprise benifit from a second processor, if so what sort
of
> performance increase could I expect to see?

> The machine will have 64MB of ram would I be better off adding more ram
rather
> than the additional cpu?

> Please E-Mail direct in addition to posting.

> Many thanks in advance

> Ian Mc.

1. High system time on dual processor system ?

    I have a dual Pentium Pro machine from TriStar with 128MB ram.  I
installed Red Hat 4.2 and built a SMP kernel, which finds the second
processor -- I can see it in /proc.  I've been benchmarking this machine
against a Linux/Alpha, DEC/Alpha and SGI IRIX system.  We are running
FORTRAN code - I'm using g77 to compile on the dual Ppro and timing using
/usr/bin/time program
    I'm getting system times that are incredibly large on this system as
compared to any of the other machines, as well as single processor Intel
machines.  If the system time was 1/10th of the user time, it would be
OK -- the machine would  be fast, but under certain compilations, the
system time is even larger than the user time.  Anyone know anything about
this ?  Below are some sample timings:

       compiler options        user time        system time
         No options             24.71             106.17
           -O2                  28.67              45.25
           -O2 -ffast-math      15.43              12.68
-O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops  22.43               9.78
-O4 -ffast-math -funroll-loops  17.46              10.65

On other machines, system times are typically  less than 1 sec (the above
units).

Dirk

2. New distro

3. Best Dual Processor board and processor

4. Why Learn C?

5. dual processor vs faster single processor

6. Need Scripting Help. -resent

7. Dual processor to single processor!!

8. RedHat 5/Desktop Platform (First time)

9. convert kernel from dual processor to single processor

10. threads run just on one processor in dual system

11. dual processors: System too big ??

12. Recommendation for dual processor system.

13. Starting 2nd processor on Dual P3 system