UUCP: Would this explain why I can't transfer my files?...

UUCP: Would this explain why I can't transfer my files?...

Post by Justin Weather » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm having trouble uucp-ing files from one host, "pooh" running sco 4.2, to
another host "tigger" running 5.0.4.  These machines are connected via frame
(56k).  The nic on "pooh" (transmitting) is 10mbitps. The nic on "tigger"
(receiving) is a 10/100.

from "pooh" ...
after I uucp a 2Mbyte file to tigger and run the command
uutry -x9 tigger
leads to a successful connection and data begins transmitting but then
suddenly stops and then fails entirely, sometimes with a memory fault.  it
also fails if I try to send to pooh from tigger.  I can successfully uucp a
2 Mbyte file from tigger to and from any other 5.0.4 host on my WAN.  So I
know it's not my syntax.

My thoughts are that the data is just taking too long to reach the newer
machine, which is receiving (or attempting to) at 100mbitps, and timing out.

Is this a likely explanation?  If not likely, is it possible?  I'm at a
stand still now and I NEED this data!  If I can't get it by uucp, I can't
get it by uucp.  And I'll have to get it another way.  I just don't
understand why uucp isn't working!!!
Please enlighten me, oh great ones.

justin

UUCP: Would this explain why I can't transfer my files?...

Post by Deepa » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

You should post the relevant uucp files from each system...to make
it easier for us to help....but besides uucp, have you tried to
simply ftp the data across?  This will work if you can ping pooh
from tigger or vise versa...try that...you can even setup ftp to
work in non-interactive mode, thus transferring data without any
users input...man ftp for more information.

Hope this helps.

Deepak

Post by Tim Ric » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[...]

What protocol are you using?
I find the e protocol works best over TCP.
I just did a test here.
OK it was only a 1.6MB file and it was 3.2v4.2 to UnixWare 2.1.2.
100VG -> 56K FR -> 10MB
SNDFILE:
-> 1624528 / 318.860 secs, 5094 bytes/sec

--
Tim Rice                        Multitalents            707 887-1469

UUCP: Would this explain why I can't transfer my files?...

Post by Justin Weather » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I should have also mentioned that the same thing happens with ftp.  It
begins the transfer and then times out, with the exact same amount of data
transferred as with uucp (uucico)

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I should have also mentioned that the same thing happens with ftp.
>It begins the transfer and then times out, with the exact same
>amount of data transferred as with uucp (uucico)

Do you know that if you posted more details, such as the exact
amount of data transfered before failure, along with the other file
other posts may have mentioned, that it will be much easier to
diagnose the problem.

When I go to a doctor I tell him all the symptons and details, and
dont ask him to guess.  That line diagnosis is reserved for
veterinarians.

--

1. Flexfax blocks uucp transfers, why?

When the faxd program is running, the modem port is impossible to use for
uucp transfers ("CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE" in the .Status file).

It says in the README file:

Fax modems may be shared with outgoing data communication applications
that honor the "UUCP locking protocol".  These applications typically
include: cu, tip, kermit, uucp, slip, and ppp.

Is there something I didn't do right? Does anybody know how to solve the
problem?

If there is no way to get around it, is there a way to run the faxd
program periodically, processing all pending jobs, and TERMINATE?

--
Mats Luthman, Sylog AB
Solna Torg 3, Box 1466

2. time variable in tcsh help please.

3. COMPLIAINT: Why doesn't Sun's PPP obey the UUCP locking conventions?

4. Network/Computer Security Home-pages

5. uucp file transfers

6. Restricted Shell

7. UUCP file transfer - HELP

8. Archive Viper info

9. file transfer - uucp / kermit ????

10. UUCP file transfer problem (AIX->SCO)

11. UUCP file transfer - HELP

12. Please explain this to me...? Why oh Why?

13. It's not bad canned meat...