No child Processes!

Post by Alan Mather » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I run SCO V and the recent problem occurred. All was OK and then all of
a sudden, in the syslog the message:

inetd[25588] : smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason
available),8
inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
inetd[25590] : smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason
available),8
inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
inetd[25593] : smp_set_id failed No child processes, (no reason
available),8
inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
appeared
and the last lines repeated forever with incrementing process numbers!

I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't gone and filled the whole damn hard
disk up with this!

A simple reboot and log clean up session fixed it, but does anyone have
ANY ideas what happened???

Thanks

Alan

No child Processes!

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I run SCO V and the recent problem occurred. All was OK and then all of
> a sudden, in the syslog the message:

SCO has been shipping System V operating systems for more than 10 years.
Be much more specific.  If it's some version of SCO Unix or OpenServer,
`uname -X` will give you a useful version number.

Quote:> inetd[25588] : smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason
> available),8
> inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
> inetd[25590] : smp_set_id failed Interrupted system call, (no reason
> available),8
> inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
> inetd[25593] : smp_set_id failed No child processes, (no reason
> available),8
> inetd[250]: /etc/tcpd: exit 0x1
> appeared
> and the last lines repeated forever with incrementing process numbers!

tcpd is the main program of TCP Wrappers, a separate public domain
software package that it seems you have installed on your system.

Quote:> I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't gone and filled the whole damn hard
> disk up with this!

> A simple reboot and log clean up session fixed it, but does anyone have
> ANY ideas what happened???

Something went crazy with tcpd?

smp_set_id() is an OpenServer Release 5 function, so your OS version is
narrowed down to three possibilities (with several hundred variations of
important patches that you might or might not have installed).

I wonder if there were any other unusual messages in your syslog, after
you eliminated the repetitive inetd messages.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Currently
posting from Moscow, Russia.  Next: St. Petersburg; then Europe.  Stories

1. smail failed to reap child process: No child processes

Offen I receive messages with error:

From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Dec 20 17:55:59 1995
To: postmaster
Subject: mail failed, sending to postmaster

|------------------------- Message log follows: -------------------------|

|------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|

|------------------------- Message text follows: ------------------------|
[...]

But mail successfully delivered to destination address.

What's wrong?

Alexander Feldman

2. No more than 8 symbols in user names (shadow)

3. how to kill a child process that runs other children processes

4. several emacs-related qu's

5. Getting a child and child's child process-id

6. LINUX ONLY for the home user: is this possible??

7. X Question

8. child process, child program

9. How to create memory in ptraced child process w/o child source code

10. kill child and its all grad child processes?

11. how do i wait for child processes, and *their* children to finish

12. wait for the child process from other process