Installing OSR5.0.0 on a Pentium Pro 200...system hangs

Installing OSR5.0.0 on a Pentium Pro 200...system hangs

Post by Keith Williamso » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

When I try to install OpenServer 5.0.0 on a G6-200 (Gateway 2000 Pentium =
Pro 200) the system hangs after booting unix and bringing up the intro =
screen for the installation utility.  I know that the keyboard hangs =
anyway, and I can't get any input to the system.  However, If I boot =
from the OpenServer 5.0.2 boot disk, everything works fine.  Has anyone =
else run into this problem or does anyone have some insight into what it =
happening?

The  computer is configured as follows:
     1 Intel 200MHz Pentium Pro Processor
     2 Ultra Wide SCSI 2GB hard drives
     1 SCSI CD-ROM
     1 HP SCSI 4mm DAT drive
     1 SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Card
     1 PCI Video Card

I hope I have included enough info.

Any help is appreciated...

Keith Williamson
Sys. Admin.
Ouachita Parish School System

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> When I try to install OpenServer 5.0.0 on a G6-200 (Gateway 2000 Pentium =
> Pro 200) the system hangs after booting unix and bringing up the intro =
> screen for the installation utility.  I know that the keyboard hangs =
> anyway, and I can't get any input to the system.  However, If I boot =
> from the OpenServer 5.0.2 boot disk, everything works fine.  Has anyone =
> else run into this problem or does anyone have some insight into what it =
> happening?

> The  computer is configured as follows:
>      1 Intel 200MHz Pentium Pro Processor
>      2 Ultra Wide SCSI 2GB hard drives
>      1 SCSI CD-ROM
>      1 HP SCSI 4mm DAT drive
>      1 SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Card
>      1 PCI Video Card

> I hope I have included enough info.

In this case, you have.  For almost any other question this would not
have been enough information.  Name the actual products, not just
generic product types.

You are running into a known problem with the keyboard driver.  It was
fixed in 5.0.2, as well as in an SLS for 5.0.0, oss424a.  Download that.
It can be used at boot time.  (If you have 5.0.2 media then you ought to
install that instead.)

Quote:>Bela<

1. Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX

I am planning to buy a Pentium System soon.
The choice I have to make is Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 133/166/200 MMX.

Is there any mega performance difference between these two processors?

Besides Intel is coming out with Pentium II in few months. Is is it
worth going for a Pentium Pro for the cost?

Does linux work well on it( Pentium Pro )?

Thank you for any pointers, information and advice.

Subba.Rao

2. Is there a vim with syntax highlighting?

3. BETTER OS? FreeBSD vs. Linux

4. Pro 200 hangs on G OSR5 boot

5. Rsh Address already in use problem..

6. DELL Optiplex GXPRO 200, with Intel-Chipset Neptuma and Pentium PRO 200 MHz

7. g++ Inlcude files not being found correctly.

8. Dual Pentium Pro 200: Is it supported?

9. Pentium pro 200 MHZ Linux Kernel !?!

10. Sparc 5 or Pentium Pro 200 Mhz

11. HELP: Dell Dim. Pentium Pro 200

12. FS: Pentium Pro 200/512k HP