Help with external HP Jet Direct Control on 5.02

Help with external HP Jet Direct Control on 5.02

Post by Adam Easterbroo » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I am trying to make an external HP jet direct print server work with a
matrix printer on SCO 5.02

I have enabled the HP drivers that are included with SCO and it works
just fine with an HP laserjet printer attached and defined using the
HPLaserJet model setting in the scoadmin printer manager.

But the matrix printer I am using is a Genicom and does not work with
the HP printer language.  If I use the HP 'test printer output' option
from the HP setup menu, I get output to the matrix (but it has HP
control sequences in it).

If I just set the printer up as wh3840em with the few basic controls I
need in the terminfo.lp file and recompile it with tic and then set the
model to wh3840em I get no output through LP.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the hpnpf program/network
filter, man gives hints that this is the case, however I am not really
sure how or where to implement the hpnpf program so that normal LP
control of the matrix printer will work.

Any clues or help you can give will be great.

Thanks for your help.

Adam Easterbrook
===============================   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
        Adam Easterbrook           `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                                   (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'

=============================== (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'

Help with external HP Jet Direct Control on 5.02

Post by Wilko Lunenbu » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 11:08:07 +0100, Adam Easterbrook

>But the matrix printer I am using is a Genicom and does not work with
>the HP printer language.  If I use the HP 'test printer output' option
>from the HP setup menu, I get output to the matrix (but it has HP
>control sequences in it).

Have had the same problems, finally set it up as a remote printer
using lpr. SCOADMIN --> PRINTERS --> ADD PRINTER --> REMOTE --> UNIX
etc. Then use yhe jetdirect as the remote machine and the port "raw"
or "text" as the printer.

One silly thing is that by doing this your printer "inherrits" the
name raw or text. To overcome this problem (we often use more than one
jetdirect) you have to set the printername not to raw or text but to
something meaningful and afterwards change it in the /etc/printcap
file back to raw or text (rp: field)

Why it is not possible to select a sensible name in the first place is
a mystery to me.

ps. if you have a three port jetdirect, use port raw1 raw2.... or
text1 ...

1. printing to HP IIIsi with HP jet direct card, Linux driver?

Hello,

We have an HP IIIsi printer which has a HP Jet Direct card that allows us not
to connect the printer to any machine... instead, it's sitting on the network
with its own IP address, and using the right driver, one can send files
directly to that printer. This works for IBM Risc stations since we have the
right software (by Jet Direct, i believe) to do it...

I was wondering if I could setup my Linux system the same way... in other
words, does anybody know if Jet Direct has a Linux port of their software? Or
does anybody have suggestions/experience on this?

I will greatly appreciate any hints. Thanks
--

Virginia Tech
                tel: (540) 231 4285,  fax: (540) 231 8836

2. ?? need advice on linux/486 compatibility

3. HP Jet Direct Printing under SCO !HELP

4. Can I determine client machine name from host process

5. Help: HP Jet Direct EX

6. Help! Canon BJC600, Ghostscript 4.01,- Setup?

7. Help:HP Jet Direct EX???

8. solaris 9 hostname change

9. Help pinrting to HP printer with Jet Direct card

10. adding Laser Jet with Jet Direct

11. HP Jet Direct 6.1.5: setting duplex or single-sided mode.

12. HP Jet Direct under Solaris 2.3

13. Network Printing from an HP Jet Direct Box