Using installation boot diskette to recover from lost root password doesn't work

Using installation boot diskette to recover from lost root password doesn't work

Post by Sergio Govon » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

In a Compaq with OpenServer 5.0.4, in order to recover from lost password,
having no emergency boot diskette, I've copied the image of installation
boot disk from the original CD to floppy using rawrite.
The system boots successfully with that diskette, but after having typed
tools at the Boot: prompt there is no escape from installation.
However, this is the procedure recommended in the Stephen M. Dunn's faqs in
"How do I crash out of the install script?"
(http://staff.ussinc.com/~steved/scofaq/scotec1.html#install_script)

Perhaps there is something else that could be attempted; does anyone know?

Thank you for your help
Sergio Govoni

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> In a Compaq with OpenServer 5.0.4, in order to recover from lost password,
> having no emergency boot diskette, I've copied the image of installation
> boot disk from the original CD to floppy using rawrite.
> The system boots successfully with that diskette, but after having typed
> tools at the Boot: prompt there is no escape from installation.
> However, this is the procedure recommended in the Stephen M. Dunn's faqs in
> "How do I crash out of the install script?"
> (http://staff.ussinc.com/~steved/scofaq/scotec1.html#install_script)

Did you read
http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference/?105312 ?

--

SCO articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.ApLawrence.com

Post by Sergio Govon » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Did you read
>http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference/?105312 ?

Now I have read it, thank you. But after entering the shell,
 fsck -ofull /dev/hd0root
produces
 fsck: cannot stat filesystem /dev/hd0root

and
 mount /dev/hd0root /mnt
in turn
 mount: bad address

My /etc/default boot is the following:

DEFBOOTSTR=hd(40)unix swap=hd(41) dump=hd(41) root=hd(42)
AUTOBOOT=YES
FSCKFIX=YES
MULTIUSER=YES
PANICBOOT=NO
MAPKEY=YES
SERIAL8=NO
SLEEPTIME=0
BOOTMNT=RO

Can you help again? Thank you.

Sergio Govoni

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >Did you read
> >http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference/?105312 ?

> Now I have read it, thank you. But after entering the shell,
>  fsck -ofull /dev/hd0root
> produces
>  fsck: cannot stat filesystem /dev/hd0root

Sounds like you could need a btld for your drive?

If that's not the case, then it must dead hardware.

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com