Installation program terminates "NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

Installation program terminates "NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

Post by Edward Cho » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am installing a SCO openserver 5.0 to a machine(P5 100MHz, 16M ram,
3.2G harddisk). I use ATAPI to install the server.
When installing, it prompts "WARNING: hd: No root disk controller".
Then, I continue to install. After I enter the license no., hostneme,
domain, security and time, I press enter to accept the input.
Then, the installation program terminates and prompts the message
"NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

What does this message mean? Do it relate to the above warning? How to
fix it?

Thanks

Installation program terminates "NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

Post by Eje West » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:43:52 +0800, Edward Chow

>Hi,

>I am installing a SCO openserver 5.0 to a machine(P5 100MHz, 16M ram,
>3.2G harddisk). I use ATAPI to install the server.
>When installing, it prompts "WARNING: hd: No root disk controller".
>Then, I continue to install. After I enter the license no., hostneme,
>domain, security and time, I press enter to accept the input.
>Then, the installation program terminates and prompts the message
>"NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

>What does this message mean? Do it relate to the above warning? How to
>fix it?

>Thanks

I have the same problem when installing SCO Open server 5.0.2.
The problem are as follows:
I start with booting from the 3,5 floppy, then when I start the
installation I get the following message :
VARNIG: hd : no root disk controller
after that the installation continues.
Next I fill in the registration and so on, but when I chose to
continue I get the following message:

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

 Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50

Notice: ram: no space on device on device 31/50
/ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

;then the system halt.

My hardware:
FIC2005 motherboard with integrated IDE controller
AMD k5 133 MHz Processor
32 Mb EDO ram
Seagate 2,5 GB ATA disk
NEC 8x CD-ROM also ide connected
and a standard floppy unit

It seems as the hard disk isnt detected, so Ive tried with
"defbootstr disable=dptr" but that didnt work either.
That help did I get from the newsgroups. If there is anyone that
can help me with my problem I would be mighty grateful.

Thanks

Post by James R. Sulliva » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:43:52 +0800, Edward Chow
> >I am installing a SCO openserver 5.0 to a machine(P5 100MHz, 16M ram,
> >3.2G harddisk). I use ATAPI to install the server.
> >When installing, it prompts "WARNING: hd: No root disk controller".
> >Then, I continue to install. After I enter the license no., hostneme,
> >domain, security and time, I press enter to accept the input.
> >Then, the installation program terminates and prompts the message
> >"NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

Generally, this message means that you have a diskdrive greater than
2Gb.  There is a technical article on this very subject and if you
go to:

http://www5.sco.com/Support/ssl.html

and enter the message as the query string.  Then follow the links.

--

----
Jim Sullivan           "Don't plant your bad days.  They grow into bad

416 216 4611

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> >"NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50"

> I have the same problem when installing SCO Open server 5.0.2.

Indeed, and this is perhaps the single most Frequently Asked Question
ever asked on this newsgroup.  Which is why I tried to email an answer
rather than posting it Yet Again.  Unfortunately, you are posting with a
false return address and failing to give a useful one in your signature.
Quote:>Bela<

1. Error Message "No space on device on device 31/50" on Free SCO

Hi, I was trying to install the Free ScoUnix but after I enter the license
number, code, data, and setup the system name, domain, and time zone, it
gives me follow error message:

           NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50

                NOTICE: ram: No space on device on device 31/50
                /ramFS/instdir/iqm/iqm terminated by signal 8

           **   Safe to Power Off   **
                           -or-
                ** Press Any Key to Reboot **

        I was trying to install for more than  6 times with two certificat of
license and I also went to the support and serach for the answer but it
seems like I cannot do anything with it. Could anyone help me out here?
Any comments will be appreciated.

        danny

2. Need help w/HTTPd server

3. HELP : ram : No space on device on device 31/50

4. Problem starting xautolock

5. ram: No space on device on device 31/50

6. sshd reports ``couldn't find display information''

7. need to set 800*600 x windows resolution

8. No space on device on device 31/50

9. HELP : No space on device on device 31/50

10. SCO OS5 install prob: no space on device 31/50

11. No space left on device 31/50 during install

12. PATCH: eisa reports "0 device" not "0 devices"