What kind of HW needed for a 30 users systems + a system monitor tool ?

What kind of HW needed for a 30 users systems + a system monitor tool ?

Post by sjaa » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 Hi,

We have a performance problem with a SCO UNIX V2.1 system. The sar -u
command gives that the system idle percentage is often 0%.

I think we have to many users on the system. What kind of hardware
is recommended for a 30 user administrative system. Sar gives an average
of 200 processes (30 of the 200 processes are Cobol programs, the rest is
sh, getty, etc)  and 500 open files.

Is their a tool available to see which process eats the most cpu cycles ?

Thanx in advance.

--Sjaak Kaandorp

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> We have a performance problem with a SCO UNIX V2.1 system. The sar -u
> command gives that the system idle percentage is often 0%.

If that's SCO UnixWare, the correct newsgroup is comp.unix.unixware.misc.

%idle isn't really the right place to look.  Which of the other columns
is consuming the most?  If %wio is high, you aren't out of CPU, your
disks are too busy.  That might in turn be caused by a memory shortage
(causing a lot of paging), or by your usage simply outstripping the
disks.

Quote:> I think we have to many users on the system. What kind of hardware
> is recommended for a 30 user administrative system. Sar gives an average
> of 200 processes (30 of the 200 processes are Cobol programs, the rest is
> sh, getty, etc)  and 500 open files.

> Is their a tool available to see which process eats the most cpu cycles ?

Try `rtpm`.

The first step is to figure out which is the real bottleneck -- CPU,
disk, or memory.  It does no good to guess, you have to *know*.

Quote:>Bela<