Is it possible to use an internal modem with SCO 2.3v4.2

Is it possible to use an internal modem with SCO 2.3v4.2

Post by Brendan Wheel » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

I know SCO say internal modems on COM3 or COM4 are not supported,
but is it possible to use them , and if so how ?
I have a Micro Robotics internal fax modem.

Post by Stephen M. Du » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

$I know SCO say internal modems on COM3 or COM4 are not supported,
$but is it possible to use them , and if so how ?

   The standard interrupt lines for COM1 and COM2 are 4 and 3,
respectively.  The usual interrupt lines for COM3 and COM4 are
4 and 3, respectively.  Since ISA devices can't share interrupts,
there's a problem ... COM1 and COM3, using the usual interrupt
settings, can't coexist, and neither can COM3 and COM4.

   You'll need to set up your modem on COM3 and/or COM4 to use
non-standard interrupts.  Chances are that you're looking at an
8-bit card, so interrupts 2/9, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are possible.
7 is usually reserved for a printer.  6 is the floppy drive.
3 and 4 are for your first two serial ports.  2/9 is often taken
by the video card - but sometimes not; consider it to be a last
resort which may or may not be available on any given machine.  5
is typically the second parallel port, so if you don't have a second
parallel port, it's your best bet.

   You'll also need to do some manual tinkering with the configuration
files to tell Unix that you're using a non-standard interrupt.  I
don't recall the details off the top of my head; chances are pretty
good that there's a TA with instructions.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

Post by Kurt J Lan » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I know SCO say internal modems on COM3 or COM4 are not supported,
>but is it possible to use them , and if so how ?
>I have a Micro Robotics internal fax modem.

Put the modem on COM1 or COM2. It works for me. Hope this
helps.

1. Printing to NT printers from SCO 2.3V4.2

I have SCO V3.2  and I used to print through a Novell server.
Everything was fine. Now I've replaced Novell with NT. It seems, that
though the NT printers are all set to data type raw, there's a
problem. Instead of the raw print job printing, NT tries to format the
test. Further, if I send control characters, NT tries to print them.
This problem is documented on the Microsoft site.

According to Microsoft,
"This problem occurs when the LPR client sends commands to the Windows
NT TCP/IP Print Server (usually called LPD,  after the UNIX term Line
Printer Daemon) that responds by assigning the print job the TEXT
datatype.  To work around this problem, reconfigure the LPR client to
send different commands so that Windows NT assigns the job the RAW
datatype.

Although LPR clients are often UNIX-based, LPR software exists for
most operating systems, including Windows NT. The Windows NT TCP/IP
Print Server (LPD) receives jobs from LPR clients and submits them to
the spooler. LPR clients always send a control file containing
administrative information with each print job. The Windows NT LPD
service assigns a datatype based on the control file commands. If the
client sends the "f", "o", or "p" control command, LPD assigns the job
the TEXT datatype. Otherwise, LPD assigns the print job the RAW
datatype.

Because the LPD service assigns a datatype explicitly, the Print
Manager default datatype has no effect on print jobs that arrive via
LPD. To change the LPD service behavior, reconfigure the PR client to
send a different control command.  "

Can anyone tell me how I do this under SCO 386?

Kate

2. where can I find libXm ?

3. I am looking for Z-modem Protocol for Sco-Unix

4. Disk Partition Resizing

5. Free SCO internal modem setup

6. will rpms work with...

7. SCO 5.0.4 and internal modem

8. Apache: Web pages for users

9. USR 56K internal V/F Internal PnP ISA Bus Modem...

10. Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems

11. Using the VAIO laptop internal modem

12. internal modem with Rockwell chip using irq 5 does not beep?

13. Help -- TROUBLE using internal modem