SCO OpenServer v5 Keyboard hangs

Post by U. Fieler » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Help me :-)
... on a openserver v5 with PS/2-Keyboard the console hangs like
unplug the keybord. Telnet works fine.

Post by Andrew Smallsha » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> ... on a openserver v5 with PS/2-Keyboard the console hangs like
> unplug the keybord. Telnet works fine.

This isn't very well phrased in English, but as your e-mail address ends .de
I'll forgive you. ;-)

I _think_ what you mean is `my keyboard is locked up' in which case unplug the
keyboard and plug it back in again.  This should fix your problem, if not, there
is a patch you can apply for this:  I refer you to the OSR5 handbook.

If, on the other hand, you mean 'I've unplugged my keyboard', plug it back in
again! :-)

--
Andrew Smallshaw

SCO OpenServer v5 Keyboard hangs

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

U. Fielers enscribed:
| Help me :-)
| ... on a openserver v5 with PS/2-Keyboard the console hangs like
| unplug the keybord. Telnet works fine.

If you unplugged the keyboard (or mouse) and the console hung, this
is a known problem with some motherboards.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> ... on a openserver v5 with PS/2-Keyboard the console hangs like
>> unplug the keybord. Telnet works fine.
>This isn't very well phrased in English, but as your e-mail address
>ends .de I'll forgive you. ;-)
>I _think_ what you mean is `my keyboard is locked up' in which case
>unplug the keyboard and plug it back in again. This should fix your
>problem, ....

While this may work quite often - it can reach out and devour you
(that's worse than biting you!). Doing this has been known to kill
the attached devices.

Here's a synopsis of a horror story I heard a couple of years ago.

1. Keyboard fails - is replaced.
2. System still unresponsive.  Keyboard input on m'board bad.
3. Mother board replaced - still unresponsive.
4. Replacement keyboard (step 1) replaced again - no repsonse
5. Motherboard now has bad keyboard input.
6. repeat step above as needed until you have 3 dead keyboards and
        2 dead motherboards.

What failed the first time was unknown.  The first new keyboard was
blown by the bad keyboard port.  When the new keyboard - that just
was blown - was attached to the new motherboard - the keyboard blew
the port on the motherboard.  This continued until the motherboard
and the keyboard were replaced as a unit.

A good rule to live buy is never unplug anthing without removing
power UNLESS the device is designed for that.  Keyboards definately
are not.

A very long time ago I had an electronics instructor prior to
getting my FCC 1ST Class license (that tells the radio people just
how long ago that was).

One of his favorite lines was "If you don't now what you are
doing, you could blow the hell out of a $1500 tube".

In those days Volkswagens were under $1200.   That advice has
served me well over the years - just change it to a $50,000
computer.

--

Post by Andrew Smallsha » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> A good rule to live buy is never unplug anthing without removing
> power UNLESS the device is designed for that.  Keyboards definately
> are not.

I was under the impression that it was safe to plug/unplug keyboards (and RS-232
devices BTW) with AT style connectors, assuming that everything follows the
specifications correctly.  ISTR that PS/2 style connectors use different
standards and this is not necessarily the case, although I've personally had no
problems with either, though of course, it's at your own risk.

If it's a standalone machine with no other way into the system except the
keyboard, I believe the risks involved from an uncontrolled shutdown to be
infinitely greater than those associated with unplugging the keyboard.  As I
said, though, there's a patch to prevent this happening in the first place: I
just don't remember the details.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

SCO OpenServer v5 Keyboard hangs

Post by bk » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>| ... on a openserver v5 with PS/2-Keyboard the console hangs like
>| unplug the keybord. Telnet works fine.

>If you unplugged the keyboard (or mouse) and the console hung, this
>is a known problem with some motherboards.

And there is a Patch available that will work for most motherboards too.

In answer to another message : do not unplup PS/2 keyboards, you're likely
to blow up the port, it happened to me half a year ago when I was at a
costumer to solve a minor problem, he wasn't very pleased , as a matter a
fact I think that if he legally could have I wouldn't be here to tell you
this, his server had to go down a couple of hours while a new port was
installed.

1. Keyboard hangs up under SCO Openserver 5

I have a situation where the keyboard hangs up on a machine running SCO
OS 5. It never has a problem coming up to the boot prompt but from there
it very often freezes on the next prompt asking whether you want to go
into system maintenance mode. If it gets past this part, it hangs on
SCOLogin. Sometimes it comes right when pressing restart with the mouse
only to hang up at a later stage.
Anyone an idea what might cause this or how I can go about diagnosing
the problem under SCO. I've made a DOS bootdisk and had no trouble
whatsoever to use the keyboard. Is there any general way of going about
fixing these errors when any part of the system fails to work say for
example the mouse if you know it works under DOS.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tiaan Wessels

Netsys International

2. Apache htpasswd

3. SCO V5 (OpenServer) and PC Server 310 PCI/ISA

4. lp doesnt remove entries

5. IBM Token Ring and SCO OpenServer V5

6. bug in 2.4.18 regarding tualatin 1.4

7. Clock drift on SCO OpenServer Desktop v5.0.2

8. winmodems

9. Problems reading CD-R under SCO OpenServer Enterprise V5.0.2

10. Performance Monitor for SCO Openserver V5.0

11. Problems reading "small" CD-R under SCO OpenServer V5.0.2

12. Broken symbolic link to /tmp in SCO OpenServer v5.0.0

13. FS: SCO Unix OpenServer Enterprise v5.0.0 5 user