INSTALLING FREE SCO OPEN SERVER 5

Post by wright » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a free SCO OPEN SERVER 5 CD and want to install this on my Compaq Presario 5528.
I am doing this to be able to practice / learn the operating system with no fear of destroying any live data.
I would rather do this than learn on the server at work. (I would not want to trash the system at work).
The books that came with my "Free SCO" says to insert the boot disk and CD-ROM and reboot your system. Is that all their is to it?
Will SCO recognize the CD ROM? will it reformat the hard drive automatically? What about a DOS partition?
I don't have a clue about any of this.
Can someone help me / give me some advice / pointers???????
I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You.

Bill Wright.

Post by Richard Howlet » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a free SCO OPEN SERVER 5 CD and want to install this on my Compaq
Presario 5528.

Quote:> I am doing this to be able to practice / learn the operating system with no fear of destroying any live data.
> I would rather do this than learn on the server at work. (I would not want to trash the system at work).
> The books that came with my "Free SCO" says to insert the boot disk and CD-ROM and reboot your system. Is that all their is to it?
> Will SCO recognize the CD ROM? will it reformat the hard drive automatically? What about a DOS partition?
> I don't have a clue about any of this.
> Can someone help me / give me some advice / pointers???????
> I would appreciate any help I can get.

> Thank You.

> Bill Wright.

Bill,

If you plan to install Windoze 95 make sure you do it first - before
installing SCO. Otherwise you'll find that the SCO partition will not
boot!

I don't know what type of CD-ROM a Presario 5528 has (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI)
but SCO should recognise either ok. If IDE, make sure you're CD-ROM is
not the slave device on the secondary controller because SCO will not
find it. If this is the case either move the CD-ROM to be the slave
device on primary IDE channel or alternatively set it to be the master
device on the secondary IDE channel (this would be better).

Other than that just go for it.

If you do run into problems make sure you give as much info in the
posting as you can :-)

--
Richard Howlett

INSTALLING FREE SCO OPEN SERVER 5

Post by Tom Parson » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Ben Hills enscribed:
| Hi,
|
| > If you plan to install Windoze 95 make sure you do it first - before
| > installing SCO. Otherwise you'll find that the SCO partition will not
| > boot!
|
| Hmmm, I have always found that I have to install SCO first (remembering
| to create a DOS partition) and then install Windows95.  The SCO install
| program allways seems to reformat the whole drive anyway, so if I installed
| Windows first, it would be wiped.

Severe case of operator error.  The install routines do exactly what
you tell them to do.   If it used the entire disk (it isn't a format),
then it is your fault.  Next time, tell it to use Interactive Fdisk/divvy.

1. HELP w/ Free SCO Open Server Install

I have received my copy of SCO UNIX Open Server and have a Dell P133 that
does have a SCSI card but no SCSI devices.  I am running
DOS/WIN95/WINNT4.0, and want to install the new demo.  Can someone please
help me install it without messing up my current boot.  I have two large
hard drive partitioned into several small drives.  Please help me.  Please

Thanks
Eric

2. Satan under Linux doesn't work

3. Installing the FREE SCO Open Server Release 5

4. Needed: libolgx.so.3

5. Free SCO open server and soon Unixware to .edu!!

6. which linux distribution has graphical browsers? Context highlighting

7. Free SCO Open Server update?

8. My custom directives are ignored

9. Java on SCO Free Open Server 5.0.2

10. "Free" SCO Open Server

11. SCO Free Open Server

12. SCO Free Open Server "Merge"

13. Free SCO Open Server 5.0.2 & Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge 325)