terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Aaron Bennet » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I need to find a way to emulate a SCO console under ProComm.  I know
that "SmartTerm" has a sco console setting built in, but I haven't been
able to find one for ProComm.  What's happening is we have an
application who's menus and function keys don't work unless you're using
a SCO Console.

Ideas / Flames / Sarcastic SCO anecdotes gladly accepted!

Regards,

Aaron Bennett

-----------------------------
UNIX Systems Adminstrator
Harte-Hanks Response Management Boston

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Andrew Port » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:08:54 -0400, Aaron Bennett

>I need to find a way to emulate a SCO console under ProComm.  I know
>that "SmartTerm" has a sco console setting built in, but I haven't been
>able to find one for ProComm.  What's happening is we have an
>application who's menus and function keys don't work unless you're using
>a SCO Console.

You cannot actually emulate the SCO console 100% as some programs may use
console specific stuff (Word Perfect for instance).  However most programs use
the console as if it were just another type of dumb terminal so you will
probably be lucky.  When you say 'under' ProComm do you mean you use ProComm
to remotely connect ?  If so I cant see how you are going to run an emulator
'through' ProComm.

Guessing I would assume you use ProComm to connect via a serial link of some
sort, and unless there is a direct need to use some function of Procomm you
ought to be able to replace ProComm with something else.

Terminal emulators that I have used -
termlite (on the SCO CD) - TCP only

Terminal emulators I currently use -
anita (http://www.april.se - its V. Good)

Terminal emulators that I would like to use -
kermit 95 (more than just an emulator - http://kermit.columbia.edu )

Andrew Porter
http://www.defsdoor.demon.co.uk

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Aaron Bennett enscribed:
| Hello:
|
| I need to find a way to emulate a SCO console under ProComm.  I know
| that "SmartTerm" has a sco console setting built in, but I haven't been
| able to find one for ProComm.  What's happening is we have an
| application who's menus and function keys don't work unless you're using
| a SCO Console.

www.anzio.com

All singing, all dancing msdos com programs rarely provide good terminal
emulation.

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by David Clayt » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

following:

Quote:>Hello:

>I need to find a way to emulate a SCO console under ProComm.  I know
>that "SmartTerm" has a sco console setting built in, but I haven't been
>able to find one for ProComm.  What's happening is we have an
>application who's menus and function keys don't work unless you're using
>a SCO Console.

I've used "ICE-TEN" by James River Group, "Tiny Term" by Century
Software and the "Termlite" emulator that comes on the OSR 5.0.4 CD.

All have provided good SCO-ANSI emulation, I've also tried quite a few
other that claim SCO-ANSI, but found most not to do it 100% correctly
with a very demanding application, (Switchview).

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"I refuse to short-change the 20th century to only allow it 99 years, the 21st century begins with the year 2001, not 2000.", check this URL for details:
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq2.html

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Aaron Bennet » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

Thanks for the advice.  Let me explain my situation a little more
clearly:

We have one SCO box that runs an accounting application that 20 or so
users need to interact with.  They have been using "SmartTerm" which as
"SCO Console" available as one of it's terminal options.  My boss,
however, purchased a site license to ProComm, which does not list "SCO
Console" as a terminal option.  I have been told to figure out a way to
make it work.  I'm guessing there's no way, but that's why I'm looking
here.  Are there any SCO wizards out there who could give me an
indication of what keystroke maps where, so I can create a custom keymap
within ProComm to make it pretend it's a SCO Console?

Thanks Again,

 Ideas / Flames / Sarcastic SCO anecdotes gladly accepted!

 Regards,

 Aaron Bennett

 -----------------------------
 UNIX Systems Adminstrator
 Harte-Hanks Response Management Boston

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Neil M. Lens » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Are you saying that the application must have a SCO ansi terminal to run?
Remapping the kb won't do much for the xy cursor positioning, etc. What's the
application written in?

>Hello:

>Thanks for the advice.  Let me explain my situation a little more
>clearly:

>We have one SCO box that runs an accounting application that 20 or so
>users need to interact with.  They have been using "SmartTerm" which as
>"SCO Console" available as one of it's terminal options.  My boss,
>however, purchased a site license to ProComm, which does not list "SCO
>Console" as a terminal option.  I have been told to figure out a way to
>make it work.  I'm guessing there's no way, but that's why I'm looking
>here.  Are there any SCO wizards out there who could give me an
>indication of what keystroke maps where, so I can create a custom keymap
>within ProComm to make it pretend it's a SCO Console?

>Thanks Again,

> Ideas / Flames / Sarcastic SCO anecdotes gladly accepted!

> Regards,

> Aaron Bennett

> -----------------------------
> UNIX Systems Adminstrator
> Harte-Hanks Response Management Boston

regards,

neil

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Intrac Systems In » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Talk to the procom people maybe they have some sort of configuration files
that could be edited/modified.

good luck

> Hello:

> Thanks for the advice.  Let me explain my situation a little more
> clearly:

> We have one SCO box that runs an accounting application that 20 or so
> users need to interact with.  They have been using "SmartTerm" which as
> "SCO Console" available as one of it's terminal options.  My boss,
> however, purchased a site license to ProComm, which does not list "SCO
> Console" as a terminal option.  I have been told to figure out a way to
> make it work.  I'm guessing there's no way, but that's why I'm looking
> here.  Are there any SCO wizards out there who could give me an
> indication of what keystroke maps where, so I can create a custom keymap
> within ProComm to make it pretend it's a SCO Console?

> Thanks Again,

>  Ideas / Flames / Sarcastic SCO anecdotes gladly accepted!

>  Regards,

>  Aaron Bennett

>  -----------------------------
>  UNIX Systems Adminstrator
>  Harte-Hanks Response Management Boston

terminal emulator for sco console?

Post by Andrew Port » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:01:16 -0400, Aaron Bennett

> My boss,
>however, purchased a site license to ProComm, which does not list "SCO
>Console" as a terminal option.  I have been told to figure out a way to
>make it work.

Depending on my mood I would tell your boss to go make it work.  Suggest next
time hes wants to spend a wad he gives it you instead (or me) and you can get
something that will actually work.

Quote:>I'm guessing there's no way, but that's why I'm looking
>here.  Are there any SCO wizards out there who could give me an
>indication of what keystroke maps where, so I can create a custom keymap
>within ProComm to make it pretend it's a SCO Console?

I'm not sure if you will get this working - for the reasons mentioned in my
other posting - but look at the output from 'infocmp ansi' for all of the
escape sequences that are used in both directions.  The man page for terminfo
explains all of the codes.

Does your application use terminfo or termcap ? or is it hard coded for escape
sequences ?  If it isnt hard coded then you may be able to get the application
working on any terminal - a lot of programs have their own terminal
information database that you can butcher.

Post by Jeffrey Altm » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

:
: Terminal emulators that I would like to use -
: kermit 95 (more than just an emulator - http://kermit.columbia.edu )
:

The correct address is http://www.kermit-project.org/ or
                       http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025

Quote:>The correct address is http://www.kermit-project.org/ or
>                       http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

Oops, sorry.  I was guessing.  kermit.columbia.edu is the FTP address.

Andrew Porter
http://www.defsdoor.demon.co.uk

1. Terminal emulator for console/xterm

I see no way of turning a Linux into a "dumb" VT100-VT320(-whatever)
terminal.
Is there a way to do this.
And don't say Minicom because it's for modem only and not even good for
that.
(AFAIK)

--
Systems Administrator                   Smilehouse OY
                                        +358 9 2200 2100

2. Slocate/backup, big load on 2.4.X

3. Announce: The world first console based multi-language CJK terminal emulator---WZOLE4.0N

4. Limiting access to a system

5. Linux Console Emulation under Terminal Emulator W/95

6. ppp with dip

7. Terminal emulator for Cisco console

8. Which doc to read to setup my linux throught NFS

9. QUESTION: Linux Console Appearance for KDE Terminal Emulator

10. Using a PC terminal emulator as a console

11. Telnet / SCO Console Emulator

12. TN3720 Terminal Emulator for SCO OpenServer 5.02

13. SCO Ansi terminal emulator programs for DOS/WIN (FREE).