what is strd ?

Post by Charles V. Regali » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know what the root process 'strd' is?

--
Thank you,

Charles V. Regalia

301-855-0523

what is strd ?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Charles V. Regalia telecommunicated (on 09Jan):
| Does anyone know what the root process 'strd' is?

From a SCO technical Article:

  The STREAMS daemon, strd, manages STREAMS memory whenever
  possible by coalescing and releasing chunks of unallocated
  STREAMS memory for use by large buffer requests.

Scohelp could also have found a similar description for you. :-)

--

what is strd ?

Post by Charles V. Regali » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Charles V. Regalia telecommunicated (on 09Jan):
> | Does anyone know what the root process 'strd' is?

> From a SCO technical Article:

>   The STREAMS daemon, strd, manages STREAMS memory whenever
>   possible by coalescing and releasing chunks of unallocated
>   STREAMS memory for use by large buffer requests.

> Scohelp could also have found a similar description for you. :-)

Thanks for the reply, but the descriptions there are much too cursory.  The
problem I'm trying to bound is with a program, 'pcl2tiff', from Digi that
converts HPCL to TIFF. This program often hangs with high cpu usage counts,
and, at that time 'strd' also consumes huge amounts of cpu. When the problem
was reported to Digi a couple of years ago, they claimed that streams memory
was not involved in their application. I'm hoping someone can give me more
details on 'strd' functionality so that I can derive a work around for
'pcl2tiff'.

Charles V. Regalia

301-855-0523

what is strd ?

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for the reply, but the descriptions there are much too cursory.  The
> problem I'm trying to bound is with a program, 'pcl2tiff', from Digi that
> converts HPCL to TIFF. This program often hangs with high cpu usage counts,
> and, at that time 'strd' also consumes huge amounts of cpu. When the problem
> was reported to Digi a couple of years ago, they claimed that streams memory
> was not involved in their application. I'm hoping someone can give me more
> details on 'strd' functionality so that I can derive a work around for
> 'pcl2tiff'.

Perhaps a different program from Digi can help you.  Get `scotruss` from
ftp://ftp.dgii.com/users/erics/.  You can use that to trace the activity
of the user-level process that's spinning.  I don't think you can trace
strd with it, but just seeing what the user process is doing should help
a lot.  BTW, you can use scotruss on an already-running process, so it
should be immediately useful.  First time a pcl2tiff process starts
spinning, truss it and see what it's doing.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Telecommuting
from Munich, Germany; Istanbul, Turkey next.      +Please don't Cc me on news

what is strd ?

Post by Charles V. Regali » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Perhaps a different program from Digi can help you.  Get `scotruss` from
> ftp://ftp.dgii.com/users/erics/.  You can use that to trace the activity
> of the user-level process that's spinning.  I don't think you can trace
> strd with it, but just seeing what the user process is doing should help
> a lot.  BTW, you can use scotruss on an already-running process, so it
> should be immediately useful.  First time a pcl2tiff process starts
> spinning, truss it and see what it's doing.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The problem that I have with 'scotruss' is
that I don't know of an option to have it run for a specified interval of
time and that it interfers with the attached process when 'scotruss' is
run in background.

(Its because our customer's operations staff re-act to the hang ups by
rebooting so I need to detect the looping and run 'scotruss' from a
script. Maybe I can put a monitoring script in background that will kill
'scotruss' after a specified interval)

Charles V. Regalia

301-855-0523

what is strd ?

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Perhaps a different program from Digi can help you.  Get `scotruss` from
> > ftp://ftp.dgii.com/users/erics/.  You can use that to trace the activity
> > of the user-level process that's spinning.  I don't think you can trace
> > strd with it, but just seeing what the user process is doing should help
> > a lot.  BTW, you can use scotruss on an already-running process, so it
> > should be immediately useful.  First time a pcl2tiff process starts
> > spinning, truss it and see what it's doing.

> Thanks for the suggestion.  The problem that I have with 'scotruss' is
> that I don't know of an option to have it run for a specified interval of
> time and that it interfers with the attached process when 'scotruss' is
> run in background.

These problems with `scotruss` can probably be fixed -- you need to
communicate them to the author.  (And it would be wrong to assume that
the author reads this group as a matter of course.)

Quote:> (Its because our customer's operations staff re-act to the hang ups by
> rebooting so I need to detect the looping and run 'scotruss' from a
> script. Maybe I can put a monitoring script in background that will kill
> 'scotruss' after a specified interval)

This can be handled in various ways.  Make arrangements with the people
who reboot the machine, that before they reboot it, they should call you
ASAP.  Sometimes you won't be reachable, and they reboot.  Eventually
you will be available at the right minute, and can login to the machine
and truss the spinning process.  The login could be over the Internet,
via modem, or even by "remote control", using some non-technical person
on-site as your eyes and hands.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Telecommuting
from Istanbul, Turkey; Ho Chi Minh City next.     +Please don't Cc me on news

Post by Charles V. Regali » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> These problems with `scotruss` can probably be fixed -- you need to
> communicate them to the author.  (And it would be wrong to assume that
> the author reads this group as a matter of course.)

> This can be handled in various ways.  Make arrangements with the people
> who reboot the machine, that before they reboot it, they should call you
> ASAP.  Sometimes you won't be reachable, and they reboot.  Eventually
> you will be available at the right minute, and can login to the machine
> and truss the spinning process.  The login could be over the Internet,
> via modem, or even by "remote control", using some non-technical person
> on-site as your eyes and hands.

I guess all that can be arranged, but you know, there might be a different
way.
I wonder, does anybody know what strd is?

Thank you,

Charles V. Regalia

301-855-0523

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. term 2.04 - All tests seem okay, but nothing happens

3. Help - Linux network I/O problem w/dual PIII 600 processors

5. serialprogramming

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. VL EIDE controller QD6580

11. I am si**y am I?

12. Am I an idiot..... am I? Disk mount prob....