Help: Networking with 5.0.4

Post by Joe Schol » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

OK group, I need a lesson in SCO networking 101.
Have installed 5.0.4 on IBM 330.
Motherboard has built in network interface and SCO detected it during
initial install.
have installed TCP/IP protocol on network interface card in Network
Configuration Manager.

My goal at this point is to log into Unix server on a LAN with Windows 95
clients.

Question 1: What do I set the IP address to:
Question 2: What do I set the netmask to:
Question 3: What do I set the broadcast address to:
Question 4: How do I set up the W-95 clients to log into the Unix server.

Thanks for the help...again!

Joe Scholz

Help: Networking with 5.0.4

Post by Roger Mawhinne » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

1.  We use adress such as 192.1.1.100, 192.1.1.101 for servers.
2. Adresses such as 192.1.1.1, 192.1.1.2 for clients.
3. The mask for both Win95 and SCO will be 255.255.255.0
4. The bradcast address when required is 192.1.1.255.
5. SCO will fill in the mask and bradcast address automatically.
6. On our systems, the SCO default network speed is 100Mbs - we have to use
the advanced options to set this to Auto or 10Mbs.
7. Relink the kerel and reboot.
8. ON Win95, make sure you test the network by acessing other PCs using
Windows normal NETBEUI.  Install TCP/IP and set properties to the above
address and mask.
9. Reboot PC and the Run | ping 192.1.1.100.   This will access the server
and should give an immediate response.  Ping 192.1.1.2 to access another
client.
10. From the SCO server, ping 192.1.1.1.  This will access the client PC.
11. Edit /etc hosts to give entries like
               192.1.1.1    client1
                192.1.1.2    client2

or on the PCs
            192.1.1.100    server1
12.    try ping client1, ping server, etc from the various systems
13.From Win95 - DOS  run 'telnet server1' or 'telnet 192.1.1.100' and login
to your Unix system.
14. Load the PCs using the SCO CDROM with SCOTermlite, a better telnet
emulation which will allow you to run your Unix applications.
15. If this all works, start looking at systems which give NFS access and
then you can use the SCO system as a networked server drive for Windows
files, network printing from Unix to the PC printers and vice versa, backups
from Windows to the server and lots of other goodies.

>OK group, I need a lesson in SCO networking 101.
>Have installed 5.0.4 on IBM 330.
>Motherboard has built in network interface and SCO detected it during
>initial install.
>have installed TCP/IP protocol on network interface card in Network
>Configuration Manager.

>My goal at this point is to log into Unix server on a LAN with Windows 95
>clients.

>Question 1: What do I set the IP address to:
>Question 2: What do I set the netmask to:
>Question 3: What do I set the broadcast address to:
>Question 4: How do I set up the W-95 clients to log into the Unix server.

>Thanks for the help...again!

>Joe Scholz

Help: Networking with 5.0.4

Post by Joe Schol » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Steps 1 through 8
> 9. Reboot PC and the Run | ping 192.1.1.100.   This will access the
server
> and should give an immediate response.

Response is "Request timed out"

Quote:> Ping 192.1.1.2 to access another client.

Ping is successful

Quote:> 10. From the SCO server, ping 192.1.1.1.  This will access the client PC.

Response is:
ping: wrote 192.1.1.1 64 char ret=-1
ping: send to: host is down

Also getting message:
portmapper: server not responding

Thanks

Joe Scholz

Help: Networking with 5.0.4

Post by Tom Philli » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> Steps 1 through 8
>> 9. Reboot PC and the Run | ping 192.1.1.100.   This will access the
>server
>> and should give an immediate response.

>Response is "Request timed out"

>> Ping 192.1.1.2 to access another client.

>Ping is successful

>> 10. From the SCO server, ping 192.1.1.1.  This will access the client PC.

>Response is:
>ping: wrote 192.1.1.1 64 char ret=-1
>ping: send to: host is down

>Also getting message:
>portmapper: server not responding

>Thanks

>Joe Scholz

The "portmapper" problem is most of the problem.  You need to run netconfig
and remove the network card and reinstall it with the correct IP addresses.

We had the same problem.  You cannot simply change the IP address in hosts and
tcp.  It does not work.  Remove the card and start over.

----------
Tom Phillips
Employers Resource

1. Help, Help, Help network printer

    Sorry, for my little English.

    I must print from Unix Solaris 7 (Intel) to remote printers attached to
PC Windows 98 and shared with File And Printer Sharing of Solstice (lpd
daemon).
    On Unix I configured printers with both admintool and lpadmin but with
same results.

1) A laser printer HP2100 don't print because when I send a print on its
queue, Unix reports a trasfering error and lpd daemon don't even becomes
aware of request.
2) A dot matrix printer, instead, print all received data but don't
interprets control sequences printing incomprehensible characters before.

    I specify that connecting printers to Unix server and configuring
respective queue with lpadmin, I haven't problems !!!
    I am afraid that I must use different filters for direct or networked
print but I don't know nothing of this.
    Am I need Samba ?
    If yes, from where can I download (for Intel) and how must I configure ?

    Many thanks.

    Massimo

2. ZOOM PCI MODEM

3. Debian install

4. Help NetWork Printing to a Printer with a NetWork Card

5. find and rm core files

6. Please help networking with a Win2K machine.

7. message in /usr/adm/syslog

8. PPP help -Network is unreachable

9. Help - networking

10. NEED HELP !!!Network Problem for RedHAT Linux 4.2

11. help: network problem

12. -->!!HELP: Network Unreachable when using PPP connection