Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Post by Greg Jewel » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am trying to install an Adaptec 2940AU adaptor into a machine that had
UNIX loaded onto it previously.  This machine was entirely IDE, and we
wanted to get a CD burner installed on it, hence the addition of the SCSI
host adaptor.

I went to Adaptec's web site, and they had a new version of the alad/blad
drivers.  I downloaded them and installed them using installpkg.  (I
installed the alad325 package.)  When I rebooted the computer, it goes
through the hardware "discovery" after getting beyond the Boot: prompt.
When it tries to load the alad driver, I get a kernel panic.  I tried a
removepkg to remove the driver, but it said the media was the wrong type --
I'm not sure what the problem is here.  At this point, I went back to the
OSR505 CD and created the BTLD image that is on there, and re-installed its
version of the alad driver using installpkg.  (This has only the alad
package, not the alad325.)  Unfortunately, I got the kernel panic as before.

I checked for IRQ conflicts, and there are none.  (I even tried changing the
slot that the card was in.  Originally, it was assigned IRQ 9.  I thought
this might be a problem, so moved it.  After the move, it was at IRQ 11.)

Here is the rundown of the operating system and patches:
OSR505
AFPS
OpenServer Development Kit
rs505a
oss600a
oss497c

I can boot to unix.safe and relink the kernel without the alad driver by
going into /etc/conf/sdevice.d/alad and editing the file to not load the
driver into the kernel.  When I do this, the system boots without problem,
but obviously without the host adaptor.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg Jewell

Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Post by Nick Col » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I had similar experience with these cards that was never resolved.
2940's manufactured after 02/99 have about a 60% failure rate with this
problem.
I reported the problem to Adaptec and sent a card, got a replacement that
did the same thing.

The details from these cards are as follows:

BIOS Chip:

589247 - 00 E
BIOS 1000
c 1998
v1.34.2

Controller Chip:

AHA 2940AU
984300 - 02 D
9937 (anything > 9922 seemed to be at issue)

I have since switched to using Symbios 810 based controllers (Promise makes
1 if you can't locate the Symbios card) that have equivalent data transfer
rates, bus mastering so they don't eat machine resources like ISA cards, and
cost about $30 - about 1/5 of a 2940.
Make sure to load SLS OSS463B slha; default slha sends lots of errors to
stderr during SCSI sense operations.

Cheers
Nick

Quote:> Hi All,

> I am trying to install an Adaptec 2940AU adaptor into a machine that had
> UNIX loaded onto it previously.  This machine was entirely IDE, and we
> wanted to get a CD burner installed on it, hence the addition of the SCSI
> host adaptor.

> I went to Adaptec's web site, and they had a new version of the alad/blad
> drivers.  I downloaded them and installed them using installpkg.  (I
> installed the alad325 package.)  When I rebooted the computer, it goes
> through the hardware "discovery" after getting beyond the Boot: prompt.
> When it tries to load the alad driver, I get a kernel panic.  I tried a
> removepkg to remove the driver, but it said the media was the wrong
type --
> I'm not sure what the problem is here.  At this point, I went back to the
> OSR505 CD and created the BTLD image that is on there, and re-installed
its
> version of the alad driver using installpkg.  (This has only the alad
> package, not the alad325.)  Unfortunately, I got the kernel panic as
before.

> I checked for IRQ conflicts, and there are none.  (I even tried changing
the
> slot that the card was in.  Originally, it was assigned IRQ 9.  I thought
> this might be a problem, so moved it.  After the move, it was at IRQ 11.)

> Here is the rundown of the operating system and patches:
> OSR505
> AFPS
> OpenServer Development Kit
> rs505a
> oss600a
> oss497c

> I can boot to unix.safe and relink the kernel without the alad driver by
> going into /etc/conf/sdevice.d/alad and editing the file to not load the
> driver into the kernel.  When I do this, the system boots without problem,
> but obviously without the host adaptor.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,
> Greg Jewell

Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Post by Greg Jewel » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Unfortunately for me, the chips (and BIOS version) you describe below are
the ones present on mine.  It looks like I am out of luck.  SCO really needs
to put a warning on the hardware compatibility lists about this.  (It says
that BIOS 1.30 is not supported, but that 1.32 and later are supported.)

The packaging on the box is also a bit misleading.  I intentionally ordered
the AHA-2940U, but received the 2940AU.  (At that point in time, I wasn't
aware that the 2940AU even existed.)

Thanks for the input,
Greg

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Unfortunately for me, the chips (and BIOS version) you describe
>below are the ones present on mine. It looks like I am out of luck.
>SCO really needs to put a warning on the hardware compatibility
>lists about this. (It says that BIOS 1.30 is not supported, but
>that 1.32 and later are supported.)

Well part [if not a good part] of the problem lies in Adaptec-land.

They seem to require new drivers as each mod of their BIOS changes.

OTOH people such as BusLogic/Mylex, DPT, and few others, design
their software with standard hooks so that one driver will work
across an entire line of cards.

BL for example used the same driver on the ISA, MCA, VLB, EISA and
PCI versions within the same family.  DPT does the same.   If
Adaptec would get a clue they could do the same thing - but perhaps
everything is so broken now it would prevent putting a structure in
place.

How can you expect a software vendor to keep up with every rev of a
product when often times no one  knows the rev exists until a
customer gets the card in the field.  That last time that happened
to me with Adaptec I just swore off [and at] Adaptec.

--

Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Post by Greg Jewel » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You are right that it would be extremely difficult for SCO to update their
web page for every revision of a product that comes out.  I should not have
been so "forceful" about it -- it was my frustration coming through.  (We
really needed to get the burner installed yesterday.  Now it may not be done
until Monday.)

What I am most concerned with is the fact that Adaptec is probably the most
recognized SCSI controller manufacturer out there.  This gets back to the
point of the enormous task of keeping track of what will work and what
won't, but it's hard to sell somebody a product when such a recognized brand
name doesn't work in the OS.  Like it or not, it makes the customer lose
confidence.

Sorry for the rant.

Greg

> >Unfortunately for me, the chips (and BIOS version) you describe
> >below are the ones present on mine. It looks like I am out of luck.
> >SCO really needs to put a warning on the hardware compatibility
> >lists about this. (It says that BIOS 1.30 is not supported, but
> >that 1.32 and later are supported.)

> Well part [if not a good part] of the problem lies in Adaptec-land.

> They seem to require new drivers as each mod of their BIOS changes.

> OTOH people such as BusLogic/Mylex, DPT, and few others, design
> their software with standard hooks so that one driver will work
> across an entire line of cards.

> BL for example used the same driver on the ISA, MCA, VLB, EISA and
> PCI versions within the same family.  DPT does the same.   If
> Adaptec would get a clue they could do the same thing - but perhaps
> everything is so broken now it would prevent putting a structure in
> place.

> How can you expect a software vendor to keep up with every rev of a
> product when often times no one  knows the rev exists until a
> customer gets the card in the field.  That last time that happened
> to me with Adaptec I just swore off [and at] Adaptec.

> --

Trouble installing Adaptec 2940AU Host Adaptor

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>You are right that it would be extremely difficult for SCO to
>update their web page for every revision of a product that comes
>out. I should not have been so "forceful" about it -- it was my
>frustration coming through. (We really needed to get the burner
>installed yesterday. Now it may not be done until Monday.)
>What I am most concerned with is the fact that Adaptec is probably
>the most recognized SCSI controller manufacturer out there. This
>gets back to the point of the enormous task of keeping track of
>what will work and what won't, but it's hard to sell somebody a
>product when such a recognized brand name doesn't work in the OS.
>Like it or not, it makes the customer lose confidence.

Yes Adaptec is the most recognized out there.  However there are
others like myself who have the 'anything but Adaptec' philosophy.
[Well maybe not that strong but Adaptec not being the highest
ranked].  Most popular doesn't always mean the best.

I'm somewhat prejudiced because DPT is local and I've know the
principles when they were building SCSI cards for long discontinued
proprietary Unix systems (who remembers Heurikon?) before they made
their first PC architecture based system.  It was probably that
background that made their PC systems so good.

Quote:>Sorry for the rant.

Well all rant.  I just got tired of the driver of the month, and
the surprises with new un-announced board changes that wouldn't
work like the board that came in the week before.

But I'm cantankerous curmudgeon at times.

--

1. trouble with AHA-2940AU 1.21 SCSI adapter

I am absolute down, for weeks I try to do a (new) installation
of Linux on my system. I bought an SCSI adapter aha2940AU with
BIOS 1.21. Acutally it should be no problem I read in all README's but
now it seems that I am the only one who has trouble with this adapter.
Till today I couldn't find no boot
diskette which detects the adapater (even when in the README's of the
boot diskettes which I found at several distributors was
written that will work with my adapter.)

Who can help me out ?
What maybe, I have done wrong ?

I have an 586HX Gigabyte board with an AWARD BIOS, 32 MB

Feel free to contact me

2. arts (KDE) problem with Slackware/Linux2.6.4/Alsa

3. Adaptec 7899 host adapter and Linux 2.4.4

4. A warning about read(2)/write(2)

5. Support for Adaptec 1460A (the PCMCIA SCSI host adapter?)

6. Partition HD

7. Adaptec Host Adapters

8. Analyst charges Windows NT isn't secure

9. Linux installation & Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSi Host adapter

10. Adaptec AHA-274X EISA SCSI Host Adapter

11. Support for Adaptec AIC 7880/7890 SCSI host adapter

12. Adaptec AVA-1515 SCSI host adapter

13. Support for SCSI host adaptor? (Adaptec AHA-2940)