passwd troubles followup

Post by Bill Walke » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

This is a follow-up to my own post about users not being able to change
their passwords.    Somehow (perhaps with an update to BIND ?) the permissions
on /etc had changed so that /etc belonged to group bin and had rwxr_xr_x

I changed it to belong to group "auth", like the  etc directory under /opt/K
and make permissions rwxrwxr_x

Seems to have worked.  I'll probably never know how it got messed up.

BW

--
Bill Walker

1. shadow passwd thanks & followup

Thanks for everybody's help re: merging the shadow file with
the original passwd file. For your interest, of our eight
clients, I have so-far run crack on four, using un-modified
dict & rules. 30% success. yikes. the letters should go out
next week :)
FYI 95% of the successful guesses where on the first pass, and
the passwd's where the user's first name's....

I thought hackers had to be smart because it would be difficult
to hack......<yeesh>

anyway, the next four will be tonight, and then I'll start
refining the dicts and rules. God, I just love this!
ciao!
rp

2. Mail relay program that TRASHES ALL INCOMING MAIL?

3. Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

4. Oops: with via82cxxx_audio 2.4.21-rc7-ac1

5. passwd troubles

6. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"

7. Big trouble--/etc/passwd is hosed!

8. Backing up | accessing NT

9. passwd trouble

10. Ekk sp error in passwd, im in trouble

11. caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

12. Trouble with passwd

13. user/passwd trouble