Tertiary (E)IDE Ports and Instalation

Post by Steve Jone » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello There

I have just bought a copy of the SCO Companion package (SCO OS 5.04,
etc) and
find that the install floppy can't find my IDE CDROM, setup as a Master
drive
on the Tertiary port (IRQ11).

Have I missed something, or is there a simple way around this (eg.
defbootstr
options).

I have already read that it is not possible to copy the CDROM image to
Hard
Disk, can I install by making a floppy install set?

Is SCO so out of date that it cant cope with the idea of a PC with 4
EIDE
drives and a IDE CDROM?

Any moving/unplugging of existing drives would cause a serious remapping
of BIOS setup etc and DOS/Win95/OS2/LINUX partitions.

Any suggestions (sensible) would be gratefully accepted.

Previous successful installs on this system
        Linux - Slackware, Uni-Fix, Linux FT, Redhat 4.2 & 5.0
        Dos - 5.0, 6.2, Win 3.1, Win 3.11WG, NT 3.51/3.53, Win 95
        OS2 - Warp 3
--

        Steve M Jones
        Lecturer

        WR11 4YB

Tertiary (E)IDE Ports and Instalation

Post by David Clayt » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello There

>I have just bought a copy of the SCO Companion package (SCO OS 5.04,
>etc) and
>find that the install floppy can't find my IDE CDROM, setup as a Master
>drive
>on the Tertiary port (IRQ11).

Put it on the Primary or Secondary IDE controllers and you may find it
will be detected, but if it is a Slave device there MUST be a Master IDE
device on the IDE port or OSR5 won't bother to check the Slave.

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."

Tertiary (E)IDE Ports and Instalation

Post by Steve Jone » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the suggestion, I was trying to not have to reorganise the
current layout.

If I move the CDROM to Secondary,Slave the instalation software is
found, but the fdisk insists on at least 16Mb of space on the
Primary,Master.

Is there any way to force the full SCO package onto the Primary,Slave
leaving the Primary,Master untouched by SCO ?
--

Post by Bela Lubki » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for the suggestion, I was trying to not have to reorganise the
> current layout.

> If I move the CDROM to Secondary,Slave the instalation software is
> found, but the fdisk insists on at least 16Mb of space on the
> Primary,Master.

> Is there any way to force the full SCO package onto the Primary,Slave
> leaving the Primary,Master untouched by SCO ?

Since you've deleted all the context, I don't remember what OS we're
talking about.  SCO is a company and makes a number of OSes.  But
anyway.  None of them particularly like to be on any but the boot drive.
You can, with some difficulty, set up SCO Xenix, Unix or OpenServer to
boot from a small /stand partition on the primary drive and find
everything else on another drive (this is considerably easier on
OpenServer, but still not trivial).

For practical purposes, the only choice is to install the OS on your
boot drive, i.e. primary/master in an IDE system.  You need to rearrange
your drives some more.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Telecommuting
from Istanbul, Turkey; ???? next.                 +Please don't Cc me on news