Domain name change

Post by David Avnai » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is written
in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but that
still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

Domain name change

Post by CHIU Pat H » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

may be you can change it by using "scoadmin network"!!

> What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
> UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is written
> in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but that
> still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

Domain name change

Post by David Avnai » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I wish it were that easy. I did that first, but it shows up elsewhere as the
old domain. There are a lot of files that hold the domain info, but don't
change when changing it in scoadmin>network.

> may be you can change it by using "scoadmin network"!!

> > What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
> > UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is
written
> > in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but
that
> > still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

Domain name change

Post by Crossfi » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:23:13

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:44:31 GMT,

] What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
] UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is written
] in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but that
] still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

Changing the domain name on a UnixWare 7 box is tricky because there's lots
of different places that need to have it changed.

Use find(1) to check for the following files and then change the old system
name to the new system name as appropriate

hosts (there's more than one)
.olduname
nwconfig
nodename
magnus.conf
ns-admin.conf
count.cfg
hostname.inc
nodename.inc
scohelp.inc
ttalogin.inc
current.prf
factory.prf
ifile
lastlog

Also, be sure to change the directory names in the /usr/spool/lp heirarchy
to the new name.

If you're also changing IP addresses, you'll need to change it in these
files:

interface
config
hosts
nb.conf
ns-admin.conf
ifile

I got this information from the book "UnixWare 7 System Administration"
by Gene and Melissa Henriksen.  In that book is actually a shell script that
makes the changes for you, but due to copyright issues (and the fact that
it's pretty long) I'm not going to post it.  The book is pretty useful;
I recommend picking up a copy with the caveat that it's written for UW7.0.0
so some of the stuff is now outdated.

Jon Reid

                     (DeSPAM my email to contact me.)
I remember the very thing that I do not wish to;
I cannot forget the things I wish to forget.                      Cicero

Domain name change

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:51:59

>On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:44:31 GMT,

>] What is the correct way to change the domain name after
>] installation of UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is
>] not taking. This is written in many files and I have changed it
>] in every file I found it in, but that still has not fixed it. Do
>] I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.
>Changing the domain name on a UnixWare 7 box is tricky because
>there's lots of different places that need to have it changed.
>Use find(1) to check for the following files and then change the
>old system name to the new system name as appropriate

[ all the possible areas deleted here - wjv ]

Quote:>If you're also changing IP addresses, you'll need to change it in
>these files:

[ditto]

Can we start a grass root movement and lobby for a change to what I
think is this outdated behaviour.

In Solaris there is a hostname identified with each NIC card.
There is the domain name in the hosts file.  There are about 2
other places and that's it.

In the BSD world there is one configuration file, and about 2 other
places.

How hard can it be to have all the programs that need the names/IPs
look at one or two configuration files.

Jeff's lists of things to change on the OSR5 when you change
names shows how far out of hand this is.

The UW7 list is much shorter, but IMO still far too long.

For webservers I maintain on BSD environments I can edit two or
three files and reboot and it's done.

Granted that the UW7 target market is for enterprise machines, but
machines have a way of migrating to new tasks and shouldn't things
be easier than they are now?

Bill

--

Domain name change

Post by Mike Kenyon - David Austin Roses Limite » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Can we start a grass root movement and lobby for a change to what I
> think is this outdated behaviour.

Count me in. I find it very odd the way SCO handles the machine name.

Quote:> In the BSD world there is one configuration file, and about 2 other
> places.

Slackware Linux 3.4 defines it in /etc/HOSTNAME, although having it one of
/etc/hosts, NIS or DNS is also handy.

--

I.T. Manager for David Austin Roses Ltd

Domain name change

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> Can we start a grass root movement and lobby for a change to what I
>> think is this outdated behaviour.
>Count me in. I find it very odd the way SCO handles the machine name.
>> In the BSD world there is one configuration file, and about 2 other
>> places.
>Slackware Linux 3.4 defines it in /etc/HOSTNAME, although having it
>one of /etc/hosts, NIS or DNS is also handy.

I found the Solaris [at least on the Sparc systems] interesting is
that you can define a host name to the individual NIC card.
hostname.hme0 would contain the host name assigned to NIC one for
example.

Bill

--

Domain name change

Post by Crossfi » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 04:51:59 GMT,

[snip way too complex system name change stuff]

] Granted that the UW7 target market is for enterprise machines, but
] machines have a way of migrating to new tasks and shouldn't things
] be easier than they are now?

I concur.  It would be trivial for SCO to include a simple shell script
like the one in the sysadmin book to take care of this task (assuming they
couldn't just make ONE file with the name and IP and have everything else
reference it).

I got tired of asking questions like that at SCO because I got tired of being
stared at, though... *grin*

Jon Reid

                     (DeSPAM my email to contact me.)
I remember the very thing that I do not wish to;
I cannot forget the things I wish to forget.                      Cicero

Domain name change

Post by Mark Bryan » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I agree... this 1 stumped me for ages when I did our 1st UW installation,
got the domain wrong, changed it and*ed up the whole thing until I found
that that had been the problem! I, too, am amazed SCO don't provide a
utility for this.

Mark

> >On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:44:31 GMT,

> >] What is the correct way to change the domain name after
> >] installation of UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is
> >] not taking. This is written in many files and I have changed it
> >] in every file I found it in, but that still has not fixed it. Do
> >] I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

> >Changing the domain name on a UnixWare 7 box is tricky because
> >there's lots of different places that need to have it changed.

> >Use find(1) to check for the following files and then change the
> >old system name to the new system name as appropriate

> [ all the possible areas deleted here - wjv ]

> >If you're also changing IP addresses, you'll need to change it in
> >these files:

> [ditto]

> Can we start a grass root movement and lobby for a change to what I
> think is this outdated behaviour.

> In Solaris there is a hostname identified with each NIC card.
> There is the domain name in the hosts file.  There are about 2
> other places and that's it.

> In the BSD world there is one configuration file, and about 2 other
> places.

> How hard can it be to have all the programs that need the names/IPs
> look at one or two configuration files.

> Jeff's lists of things to change on the OSR5 when you change
> names shows how far out of hand this is.

> The UW7 list is much shorter, but IMO still far too long.

> For webservers I maintain on BSD environments I can edit two or
> three files and reboot and it's done.

> Granted that the UW7 target market is for enterprise machines, but
> machines have a way of migrating to new tasks and shouldn't things
> be easier than they are now?

> Bill

> --

1. host/domain name change problems

Hi all,

I initially installed FreeBSD with hostname: Ppdoshi and domainname:
primetime.com but now I'm using the net through my school and so I
wanted to change this to

hostname:  tesla
domainname: vill.edu

So I made the following changes to /etc/rc.conf and rebooted:

hostname="tesla"        # Set this!
nisdomainname="vill.edu"    # Set to NIS domain if using NIS (or NO).

But when I try to start a program such as VNC (
http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/ ) I get the following error:

xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "tesla:1" in "add" command

So something is wrong, which I think has to do with possibly Kerberos
and xhost or something like that and I need to remake a encrypted file
or somethign which has the host and domain name or something like that,
but I'm completely lost as to the actual procedure.

Could anybody fill me in on how one goes about changing their hostname
and domainname?

Peter

FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE

2. zImage and bzImage

3. Samba and Domain Name Change

4. I am having problems with scsi tape drives.

5. domain name change --> dead daemons

6. Redhat7.1+Nvidia+AGP Help

7. Domain name CHANGE

8. 4.4 firewall curiosity

9. Sendmail problems after domain name change

10. domain name change -> dead daemons

11. Samba problems after Domain name change !! Please help

12. Please help: Host:domain name change. Clues needed.