Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by Eileen Hilbur » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have several weird problems on a SCO Openserver 5.04 machine.  First
of all, when I enter my password to log in to the desktop (xwindows
console), the screen goes blank and then redisplays the login password
prompt.

Secondly, when I try to create a new emergency boot floppy disk set I
get this message:

    NOTICE: HTFS Our of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)

    mknod no space left on device
This is the entry in df -i for the floppy.

df -i
                                                    iused  ifree
itotal  %used
/mnt    /dev/marry/tmp/ramdisk     528     0        528    100%

What is the best approach to this problem.  The other filesystems have
plenty of inodes and space....

At first I thought it was a floppy drive problem. I can dd, mkfs, mount,
cpio etc to the drive.

Thanks in advance for any help .....

Eileen

Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by Wayne Jackso » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Have  a look at http://www.sco.com/ta and use you keyword to search the
Technical Articles.  The solution to the Inode problem is there.

I cannot remember how I was able to get around that login, relogin problem.

Wayne

>I have several weird problems on a SCO Openserver 5.04 machine.  First
>of all, when I enter my password to log in to the desktop (xwindows
>console), the screen goes blank and then redisplays the login password
>prompt.

>Secondly, when I try to create a new emergency boot floppy disk set I
>get this message:

>    NOTICE: HTFS Our of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)

>    mknod no space left on device
>This is the entry in df -i for the floppy.

>df -i
>                                                    iused  ifree
>itotal  %used
>/mnt    /dev/marry/tmp/ramdisk     528     0        528    100%

>What is the best approach to this problem.  The other filesystems have
>plenty of inodes and space....

>At first I thought it was a floppy drive problem. I can dd, mkfs, mount,
>cpio etc to the drive.

>Thanks in advance for any help .....

>Eileen

Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by D Har » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

What I see from the output you've supplied is certainly not a floppy,
but is a ramdisk. A ramdisk emulates a small disk drive (eg, floppy) in
memory, but has otherwise nothing to do with floppies.

Floppy devices names are, for example, /dev/rfd0135ds18 and not
/dev/marry... etc.

To create an emergency boot floppy (also create an emergency root
floppy...) do not mount the floppy, just insert it in the drive and type
in "mkdev fd". Follow the instructions.

Quote:> Secondly, when I try to create a new emergency boot floppy disk set I
> get this message:

>     NOTICE: HTFS Our of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)

>     mknod no space left on device
> This is the entry in df -i for the floppy.

> df -i
>                                                     iused  ifree
> itotal  %used
> /mnt    /dev/marry/tmp/ramdisk     528     0        528    100%

> What is the best approach to this problem.  The other filesystems have
> plenty of inodes and space....

> At first I thought it was a floppy drive problem. I can dd, mkfs, mount,
> cpio etc to the drive.

> Thanks in advance for any help .....

> Eileen

Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by n.. » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:50:31 -0600, Eileen Hilburn

>I have several weird problems on a SCO Openserver 5.04 machine.  First
>of all, when I enter my password to log in to the desktop (xwindows
>console), the screen goes blank and then redisplays the login password
>prompt.

Check your .profile.  I have seen scripts and various commands that
will do just what you descibed.  You might want to comment out all but
the default lines. If that works, slowly add the lines back until you
find the one that is causing the problem.

Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Eileen Hilburn typed (on 27Oct):
| I have several weird problems on a SCO Openserver 5.04 machine.  First
| of all, when I enter my password to log in to the desktop (xwindows
| console), the screen goes blank and then redisplays the login password
| prompt.

What shell are you using, and do you have a script for it in
/usr/lib/X11/scologin?

| Secondly, when I try to create a new emergency boot floppy disk set I
| get this message:
|
|     NOTICE: HTFS Our of inodes on EAFS dev marry (76/3)
|
|     mknod no space left on device
| This is the entry in df -i for the floppy.
|
| df -i
|                                                     iused  ifree
| itotal  %used
| /mnt    /dev/marry/tmp/ramdisk     528     0        528    100%
|
| What is the best approach to this problem.  The other filesystems have
| plenty of inodes and space....

Check the SCO Technical Articles, this is an old problem.

--

Help!! Is it time to reinstall???

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

D Hart typed (on 27Oct):
| What I see from the output you've supplied is certainly not a floppy,
| but is a ramdisk. A ramdisk emulates a small disk drive (eg, floppy) in
| memory, but has otherwise nothing to do with floppies.
|
| Floppy devices names are, for example, /dev/rfd0135ds18 and not
| /dev/marry... etc.
|
| To create an emergency boot floppy (also create an emergency root
| floppy...) do not mount the floppy, just insert it in the drive and type
| in "mkdev fd". Follow the instructions.

Yes, and if you only had read the /usr/lib/mkdev/fd script before
putting your foot in your mouth, you would see that it quite clearly
uses the marry driver on the way to making the diskette.