How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

Post by Michael Mehlhor » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I want to move SCO Open Server 5.05 from my old SCSI-HD to a new IDE-HD
without installing all the software, patches, ... new.
So I installed a rudimentary OS on the IDE HD to partition the harddisk.
Then I copied the old stand and root to the IDE HD.
But it will not boot. OK, the problem is that unix is searching the root
fs on a SCSI HD.
Can I handle this without installing all the stuff new?

Thanks in advance

Michael

How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

Post by L Jand » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Will never work. Your old stuff has the SCSI drivers linked in. It cannot
know anything about your new drive.

Quote:> Hello all,

> I want to move SCO Open Server 5.05 from my old SCSI-HD to a new IDE-HD
> without installing all the software, patches, ... new.
> So I installed a rudimentary OS on the IDE HD to partition the harddisk.
> Then I copied the old stand and root to the IDE HD.
> But it will not boot. OK, the problem is that unix is searching the root
> fs on a SCSI HD.
> Can I handle this without installing all the stuff new?

> Thanks in advance

> Michael

How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

Post by rcama.. » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Michael,

There is a tech article on the sco site: 105356

It discusses the unsupported steps to change the SCSI adaptor from one
brand to another.  I have no idea if this will work in your situation,
but it should at least point you in the right direction.

> Will never work. Your old stuff has the SCSI drivers linked in. It
cannot
> know anything about your new drive.

> > Hello all,

> > I want to move SCO Open Server 5.05 from my old SCSI-HD to a new
IDE-HD
> > without installing all the software, patches, ... new.
> > So I installed a rudimentary OS on the IDE HD to partition the
harddisk.
> > Then I copied the old stand and root to the IDE HD.
> > But it will not boot. OK, the problem is that unix is searching the
root
> > fs on a SCSI HD.
> > Can I handle this without installing all the stuff new?

> > Thanks in advance

> > Michael

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Scott Taylo » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all,

> I want to move SCO Open Server 5.05 from my old SCSI-HD to a new IDE-HD
> without installing all the software, patches, ... new.
> So I installed a rudimentary OS on the IDE HD to partition the harddisk.
> Then I copied the old stand and root to the IDE HD.
> But it will not boot. OK, the problem is that unix is searching the root
> fs on a SCSI HD.
> Can I handle this without installing all the stuff new?

> Thanks in advance

> Michael

This sounds like a down-grade.  UNIX just works better on SCSI.

However, you would be much better off getting the system running on the
IDE drive first and then restoring your applications and data from a
backup.  Although, this will mean re-licensing and installing all the
patches, etc., but what's a couple of hours work compared to days of
grief?

Also search this newsgroup for a script called savefiles, (I think that
is what it was called) it can help you collect the files you need to get
your system back to the way you had it.

Good luck.

1. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD

Hello,
I have 2 HD : one is IDE and the other SCSI.
I would like to install win95 on the SCSI and Linux on the IDE (LILO
will be install on the master boot HD (SCSI)).
But I don't know how to boot with the SCSI HD ?
Any idea ?
Thanks
Eric
--
---------------------------------
Eric Roulleau - Cril Ingenierie

---------------------------------

2. HELP!! Limiting user to their home directory

3. Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

4. configure network

5. Setting up 2 new SCSI HD in a system with an IDE HD

6. Can't do better than 600x480 on elderly laptop

7. ANSWER Re: Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

8. hide me! quick, he's back!!!

9. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD

10. Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

11. SCSI + IDE HD, how to boot from SCSI?

12. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

13. PROBLEM: LILO & Transfer of Linux System from old HD to new HD.