Using SCO Unix drivers in SCO Xenix?

Post by David & Mar » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have an exebyte 8200 8mm tape unit that I'd like to use in Xenix 2.3.4.
This version doesn't have drivers for it, but I also have SCO Open Server
2.0 which does have the drivers.  Is it possible to use the files on the
Open Server machine on the Xenix machine?  Does anybody know how to do this?
Or, know any other solutions like the existence of Xenix specific drivers
for this tape drive?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may provide.

-David

Post by rolle » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have an exebyte 8200 8mm tape unit that I'd like to use in Xenix 2.3.4.
> This version doesn't have drivers for it, but I also have SCO Open Server
> 2.0 which does have the drivers.  Is it possible to use the files on the
> Open Server machine on the Xenix machine?  Does anybody know how to do this?
> Or, know any other solutions like the existence of Xenix specific drivers
> for this tape drive?
> Thanks for any help or suggestions you may provide.
> -David

There are no special drivers needed for this machine.  I have an Exabyte 8200 as
well as an 8505.  The Exabyte 8200 was being used on a SCO Xenix 2.3.2 machine
for over 8 years.  As long as you have the proper SCSI card, then it is simply a
matter of doing a "mkdev tape" and following the onscreen instructions.  I took
this same tape drive, when I had to upgrade to SCO Openserver 5.05a, and simply
took the card out of the Xenix machine and installed it into the 5.05 machine,
and then did a "mkdev tape" and everything has been fine ever since.   If the
drive is mounted in a proprietary external case, such as *netics, then they
will require their own special drivers, as some external manufacturers have
add-ons in the external drive cases, such as digital displays, and security
devices.  However, most cases, you should be alright just doing a mkdev tape.
--Keith

Using SCO Unix drivers in SCO Xenix?

Post by Yves Lecler » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I would not use a driver which was not developed for XENIX.  You might
consider going the upgrade path and upgrade to OpenServer 5.0.5.  You should
have a valid license for your XENIX, thus you have access to the upgrades.
This upgrade is not an In-place upgrade.  You will have to re-install
everything onto the new OpenServer disk when it is installed.  Also, XENIX
is not and will not be Y2K ready.

Yves Leclerc