CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

Post by Todd Wackfor » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install openserver 5.0.4 and can't get the CD-Rom to be
recognized during the install. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter
hooked to a Matshita PD-1 LF-1000 SCSI CD-Rom drive.

Here are the syptoms:

1. Turn on machine
2. Check adapter ID under adaptec setup, adapter at ID #7
3. Reboot
4. See adaptec BIOS test OK, cdrom at ID #4
5. Booting from image N00 from floppy
6. When kernel screen appears listing the device info I see the following
       adapter type=alad,id=7
       cdrom type=S,id=5
7. I press enter to begin install
8. When blue screen "Identifying intall media device" appears I see the
following
       SCSI adapter type:     alad, Adaptec 294x (7870 & 7880 chip)
       SCSI host adapter:     0
                         SCSI ID:     5
                     SCSI LUN:     0
                    SCSI BUS:      0
9. If I leave at default and try and load, I get message device not found
10. When I try to change just SCSI ID to 4, hard disk spins up and screen
telling me CD not found
11. When I try to change adapter ID to 7, only values 1 thru 4 are
available.

I need help as to what to do next. Please responf via post and email.

Thanks,
Todd

CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

Post by David Clayt » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to install openserver 5.0.4 and can't get the CD-Rom to be
>recognized during the install. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter
>hooked to a Matshita PD-1 LF-1000 SCSI CD-Rom drive.

>Here are the syptoms:

>1. Turn on machine
>2. Check adapter ID under adaptec setup, adapter at ID #7
>3. Reboot
>4. See adaptec BIOS test OK, cdrom at ID #4

First, go to the Adaptec web site and download the SCO Driver update for
the 2940 and make the BTLD disk as per the instructions.

The make life easier for yourself (as well as OSR5) and change your
CD-ROM to ID 5.

Then re-install with the following:

Boot: link

And enter "alad325" as the package when prompted.

I've found that this can make all the difference sometimes with this
Adaptec chipset.

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"I refuse to short-change the 20th century to only allow it 99 years, the 21st century begins with the year 2001, not 2000.", check this URL for details:
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq2.html

CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

Post by Dave Richard » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I agree with David, always set your SCSI CDROMs to 5 for SCO and just
use
the default.  Otherwise I believe it has to relink the mini Kernel. :(

Dave Richards

1. HELP, please:SCSI NEC CD-ROM not seen for install

I have a noname pentium laptop that has a docking station with a CD-ROM (NEC 4x multispin) and hard drive (both SCSI).
The image I have selected from the Caldera Preview worked at least allowing Linux w/o X-windows.
With the Preview II version, it says that it cantnot find a CDROM with the Caldera Desktop on it, after it has gotten into the express install.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

PS. I am using this just to see what Linux and Caladera looks like.

If I can use Linux, I will install on my desktop setup, but right now this is available and my desktop is low on hd space (will be istalling new hd.)

Steve

2. Newbie ncurses/iostreams input problem

3. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

4. Solaris flash post install

5. HELP - CD-ROM setup not seen by Linux

6. How to get nic to listen for multiple ip's? and forward them to internal servers?

7. CD ROM not seen during install

8. Hacker Tracks

9. Newbie Q -- CD-ROM not found after installing new video card... it is found under windows.

10. Sanyo IDE CD-Rom not seen by linux

11. CD-ROM is not seen!