SCO 3.2v4.2 print spooler halts SCO

Post by hembr.. » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

      We have an Epson serial printer being used as a transaction logger.
Sometimes the operators turn off the printer resulting in the spool queue
filling up. The printer will no longer work. Clearing the spooler doesn't
help.
Shutting down the scheduler and restarting it won't help either. Unix must
be restarted. Shutting down Unix is not an option in our application, If
anyone knows a fix please help.

Configuration: Dell Pentium 150
               SCO ODT 3

Post by Danny Aldh » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:       We have an Epson serial printer being used as a transaction logger.
: Sometimes the operators turn off the printer resulting in the spool queue
: filling up. The printer will no longer work. Clearing the spooler doesn't
: help.
: Shutting down the scheduler and restarting it won't help either. Unix must
: be restarted. Shutting down Unix is not an option in our application, If
: anyone knows a fix please help.

Could be a problem with the printer having sent an X-Off , then being
turned off, and never sending an X-On. Try going to hardware flow control,
or when it is hung, putting a dumb terminal on the line and hitting Ctrl-Q.

Danny Aldham ------ Technical Support
BC Tel Systems Support    Burnaby BC
Phone (604) 444-8949  Fax (604) 444-8848

SCO 3.2v4.2 print spooler halts SCO

Post by Giampaolo Tomasson » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>       We have an Epson serial printer being used as a transaction logger.
> Sometimes the operators turn off the printer resulting in the spool queue
> filling up. The printer will no longer work. Clearing the spooler doesn't
> help.
> Shutting down the scheduler and restarting it won't help either. Unix
must
> be restarted. Shutting down Unix is not an option in our application, If
> anyone knows a fix please help.

Hi,

maybe the printer driver gets spurious interrupts when the operator turns
off/on the printer itself, thereby locking the OS's pa driver.

Check this by reproducing the problem, then issuing a:

        >/dev/lpX

where X is the lp number attached to the printer.

If you get a "Can't open /dev/lpX" error message or the command locks
indefinitely, the above one is probably the reason.

In this case, you can try using a device-polling pa node throught the
mknod(C) command.

The needed command to create a polled device driver node to lp0 is:

        mknod /dev/lp0p c 6 64

where /dev/lp0p is the name to which the new device entry is attached, 'c'
means we are going to create a character-based (ie: non block) device
entry, 6 is the my system's pa major device number (this *MUST* be the same
of the one actually related to /dev/lp0 on your system, so check it out!)
and 64 is the minor number.

If you have your printer attached to /dev/lp1, use 65 as minor number. 66
if it is attached to /dev/lp2.

Since you're using the spooling system, you've also to attach the new
device node at the spooling printer you use as transaction destination.
Otherwise you can simply replace the old /dev/lpX entry with the new one,
doing:

        mv /dev/lpX /dev/lpX-
        mv /dev/lpXp /dev/lpX

this lets you undo your changes issuing:

        mv /dev/lpX- /dev/lpX

Finally, I don't know if this is going to fix your problems. Sometimes it
works, sometime doesn't...

Good luck,

1. Print spooler problem in SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2

I need some help concerning the print spooler in SCO Unix 3.2v4.2!
In my program, I start printing with the command
"lp -o nb -c -R -s -d oki 'file' > null", where
oki is the name of the printer ( a OKI OL 400/600/1200 ).
Normally, there is no problem with this command even when
the printer is off-line ( no paper). About 300 printjob's
are in the spooler.
After going on-line with the printer, the printout
starts, but sometimes the print-out suddenly stops. Changing the
printer ( Kyocera ) etc. won't help. The printjob's are
stored by the spooler, but cannot be executed. lpstat -t doesn't print any
error.
Only shutdown resolves this problem.
Is there a limit of print-job's in the spooler ?
Who can help ?
Any help is appreciated.

Greetings,

Thomas

2. qnetmon 0.80 available

3. Print Spooler (Sco Unix) ?

4. Questions about rarpd & arp

5. Strange Print Spooler problem SCO Xenix 2.3.4

6. project about unix security

7. How can I upgrade my Sco Unix 3.2v4.1 to 3.2v4.2 ?

8. Gigabit Ethernet card in S7A.

9. S-L-O-W Parallel Printing (SCO UNIX 3.2v4)

10. Printing to SCO (Newbie to SCO)

11. biz.sco.* replaced by comp.unix.sco.*; biz.sco.* newsgroups removed.

12. Printing to SCO (Newbie to SCO) TAKE TWO!!

13. why does sco spooler pause frequently?