wu-ftpd replacement for ftpd

Post by Jeffrey D. Ang » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

Thanks to Bill at Celestial.com for pointing this one out to me.

However, I am having a few minor problems setting it up. SLowly I am finding
out (from repeated RTFM'ing) where to put the messages and so forth, but how
do I recover from mistakenly invoking the ftpshut command?

To paraphrase Radio Shack, You have answers, I have questions...

Thanks

--
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns.  We would not let our enemies have
    guns, why should we let them have ideas."             -- Joseph Stalin

 US Mail: PO Box 4425 Carson, CA 90749       Phone: 1 (310) 324-6080

1. in.ftpd zombie problem with wu-ftpd on RH6

We're using wu-ftpd-2.5.0-2 on RedHat 6.0.  The server is working
fine, but we have noticed the following problem:

After several days of operation, there will be many 'leftover'
in.ftpds.  We allow 100 users at a time and this is resulting in users
being denied access to the site even though there are only 3-4 active
connections.

If you do a ftpshut followed by a killall in.ftpd, then all is fine
for several more days.

Once the problem develops, a ps shows:

# ps ax | grep in.ftpd
27280 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29153 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29530 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
30009 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31063 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31067 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31384 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31899 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31948 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
32115 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  324 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  572 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  581 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1094 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1449 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1709 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2302 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2519 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
<many more follow>

wu-ftpd is being launched from inetd.conf as follows:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait.255      root    /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd
-l -a -t240 -T240

Any ideas on solving this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Anything you can imagine (and many things you can't), someone,
somewhere on the net is doing.

      http://www.mindspring.com/~briandaniels

2. jpeg version

3. ftpd default server vs wu-ftpd ?

4. Gateway 2k and Linux

5. wu-ftpd or pro-ftpd

6. FTP Problems

7. Weirdness of solaris ftpd and wu-ftpd

8. Take VDC's New Survey on Embedded System Engineering -- Get a free report and enter to win an Amazon gift certificate

9. FreeBSD ftpd 6.0 vs wu-ftpd 2.4

10. ftpd missing and build wu-ftpd error!

11. ls -l in.ftpd or wu-ftpd ?

12. wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

13. wu-ftpd replacement