SMTP from WIN95 to SCO5

Post by Sting L » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

     My SCO is mail server (dual home, one side connect to Internet the
other side connect to private network).  I used MS Internet Mail to send
mail, then I recieved a message :

       421 www.ntas.gov.tw - Your name, '[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]', is unknown to
me.
What is happend?  Who can tell me?

SMTP from WIN95 to SCO5

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Sting Li telecommunicated:
|      My SCO is mail server (dual home, one side connect to Internet the
| other side connect to private network).  I used MS Internet Mail to send
| mail, then I recieved a message :
|
|        421 www.ntas.gov.tw - Your name, '[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]', is unknown to
| me.
| What is happend?  Who can tell me?

MMDF's smtpsrvr error "421 <local_name>: Your name, '<remote_name>' is unknown to us."

KEYWORDS: wks smtp SMTP 421 Your name is unknown to us MMDF inetd(ADMN)
inetd.conf smtpsrvr telnet(TC) mmdftailor(F) daemon /usr/mmdf/log/chan.log
return route fail warn failing warning rfc821 RFC821

RELEASE:  SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 Operating System Version 4.2

PROBLEM:  The MMDF SMTP daemon process, /usr/mmdf/chans/smtpsrvr, gives
          the error:

                421  local.system.com : Your name, 'remote.system.COM', is unknown to us.

          This occurs when a remote system attempts to connect to the
          well known port (25) for SMTP transfer of mail.

          The error may also be seen when using telnet(TC) to investigate
          problems transferring mail. For example:

                $ telnet local.system.com 25
                Trying 150.126.5.29...
                Connected to local.system.com.
                Escape character is '^]'.
                421 local.system.com: Your name, 'remote.system.COM', is unknown to us.
                Connection closed by foreign host.

           The error also may be logged in /usr/mmdf/log/chan.log.
           In this example, this one line error message has been
           reformatted for clarity:

                chan.log: 8/14 16:20:55 smtpsr1549:  421  local.system.com:
                Your name, 'remote.system.COM', is unknown to us.

CAUSE:    The MMDF smtpsrvr process (/usr/mmdf/chans/smtpsrvr) checks that
          a (return) route to the remote system is known to the local system.

          The return route is required to return failing mail to the
          original sender.  If no return route is configured, MMDF will
          not accept connections or mail from the remote system.

          The return route does not need to go through an SMTP based
          channel.

SOLUTION: A return route should be configured for the remote system.
          Use the checkaddr(ADM) command to check the return route for the
          remote system. For example:

          Note: The domain address checked should be that reported in
          the SMTP 421 reply.

          This symptom will also occur if there is no SMTP channel configured
          in mmdftailor(F).  In this case, configure an SMTP channel.

--

SMTP from WIN95 to SCO5

Post by Steve Dun » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>      My SCO is mail server (dual home, one side connect to Internet the
> other side connect to private network).  I used MS Internet Mail to send
> mail, then I recieved a message :

>        421 www.ntas.gov.tw - Your name, '[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]', is unknown to
> me.
> What is happend?  Who can tell me?

   Get your DNS guy to do his job properly.  Your Windows 95
machine, with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, has no PTR record to give
its name.

Manager, Technical Services                United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7     (416) 750-7946 x251

1. SCO5 + Solstice + Win95

One of our customers has the following situation: An internal IP network using
NFS as network file system. The clients are Win31 and Win95 (maybe even
some NT WKS) all running either PC-NFS or Solstice NFS client. NFS login is
validated against an HP-UX machine. In the newtwork there was for some years
a SCO3 machine running an MTA. A SCO3 directory was shared via NFS for mail
polling/depository. The machines in this network use no name server and are
configured withoud fully qualified domain name (i.e. only machine name); they
are using /etc/hosts and the respective files under Windows. (Don't tell
me that's stupid - I know that!).

Now the SCO3 machine (which was actually installed by us) has been upgraded
to SCO5.04 (RS504a). First impression: whereas before (under SCO3) the
Windows user had to use NFS read/write buffer size 512 in order to be able
to communicate with the SCO machine - with the HP machine they could use 8192.

Now with SCO5 even 32768 worked w/o any problems - fine. Access to the shared
directories was also possible - and I left happily.

Some days later an alarm: The Win95 users can't anymore mount the SCO5 shares
the Win3.1 users can. A dual boot client machine can mount from Win3.1 but not
from Win95. We tried checking all settings in the respective hosts files
which however did not help. What helped was a reboot of the SCO5 machine.

Now I saw that there is a RS504C which especially deals also with NFS issues
and Win95 issues. I tried to install a similar situation at our company
but totally messed when disabling DNS. Using DNS worked fine with and without
RS504C.

Has anyone out there an idea of the problem? Do I have chance when installing
RS504C? Will it be necessary to have them using DNS?

Thanks for good ideas...

Carsten.

Tel ++49 6897 935-0

I want to die peacefully in sleep like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

2. Where to start programming Unix

3. SCO5/Win95 PPP connection MUST manually log in!

4. BK patches exported. (fwd)

5. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

6. Segmentation Fault in printing: Urgent help needed!!

7. SMTP from Win95/NT to OS5

8. PPP setup.

9. pop/smtp from a win95 workstation thru eth0

10. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

11. RFC 3207 (SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport Layer Security) - materials

12. How to set sendmail SMTP auth and SMTP SSL on Solaris 9 (x86)

13. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server