error in boot

Post by Zen » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

I am using SCO 3.2v4.2 and the machine will not boot.  I don't
understand why.  It had been booting fine, then all of sudden it stops
right before the file system is loaded and stays on H_5 with a flat
cursor in the middle of the H and 5 blinking.   I have looked trough
this whole newsgroup and visited the technical articles online and have
found nothing at this point.  So I hope someone out there knows
something about this.

Things I have tried -
replace the hard drive
use my boot/root floppies
tune the kernel at the boot prompt (changing the ct and disabling sumo)

None of these worked.  Every time it comes up it still stalls on H_5.
Thank you for help in advance.

--JG

error in boot

Post by Todd Fulle » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

> I am using SCO 3.2v4.2 and the machine will not boot.  I don't
> understand why.  It had been booting fine, then all of sudden it stops
> right before the file system is loaded and stays on H_5 with a flat
> cursor in the middle of the H and 5 blinking.   I have looked trough
> this whole newsgroup and visited the technical articles online and have
> found nothing at this point.  So I hope someone out there knows
> something about this.

> Things I have tried -
> replace the hard drive
> use my boot/root floppies
> tune the kernel at the boot prompt (changing the ct and disabling sumo)

> None of these worked.  Every time it comes up it still stalls on H_5.
> Thank you for help in advance.

> --JG

At H5 the kernel is initializing the file table or the root hard disk file
system (depend on whether it is* during H5 or when entering H6.  My
best guess is that the file system is corrupted somehow.  When you
re-installed did you copy only the data or did you over-write the new hard
drive with your old OS?

Another thing that can cause a system to hang at this point is if you are
using a SCSI controller that does >1GB translation and you have changed the
translation mode on the controller from on to off (or off to on), but have
not low-level formatted the hard drive after making the change.

Todd

1. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

What's the difference between installing from an install
server and a boot server?  I believe one can install
from the boot server, as well. If so, where does it
get its install image, from the install server?

--
    Wayne T. Watson  |                              |     /  *
   The Software Hill |  Consulting in C, UNIX, C++  |    /              .    *

NOTE: As of late 3/97 Comet Hale-Bopp is easily visible
      in the morning sky around 4:30am low in the NE,
      or in the evening around 7:30pm in the NW.

2. ANNOUNCE: linux FAQ in LaTeX

3. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

4. Please Help!

5. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

6. Net2/Net3, different kernels

7. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

8. back space key dosnt work

9. 1.2.8: boot error: hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }

10. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)

11. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

12. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

13. /etc/boot.conf error on boot (i386) 3.1