Logging Off Idle Users

Post by craig szczublews » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I want to run some updates to an application on an SCO unix 3.2v4.2 box after
hours.  The problem is I can't do it if there are people logged in to ttys.

Is there any way to log off idle users after a given time (short of running
a reboot of the system).  Or is there any program that will do this if it
is not built into SCO?

thanks
--
  +---------------------------+      +------------------------------------+

  |    Unique Systems, Inc.   ||     |   4gen!unique!craig%uunet.uu.net   ||
  | 5610 Monroe St. Suite 210 ||     |------------------------------------||
  |     Sylvania, OH 43560    ||     | A system without COBOL or FORTRAN  ||
  |       (419) 882-1113      ||     | is like a piece of chocolate cake  ||
  |     FAX (419) 882-2911    ||     |    without ketchup and mustard     ||
  +---------------------------+|     +------------------------------------+|
   +---------------------------+      +------------------------------------+

Logging Off Idle Users

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:craig szczublewski writes:

> I want to run some updates to an application on an SCO unix 3.2v4.2 box after
> hours.  The problem is I can't do it if there are people logged in to ttys.

> Is there any way to log off idle users after a given time (short of running
> a reboot of the system).  Or is there any program that will do this if it
> is not built into SCO?

/usr/bin/idleout should be on your system.

--

Logging Off Idle Users

Post by Randy Sty » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

My employer, Computronics, offers two solutions...

Peek allows you to see what someone is doing from your terminal, and to
type on their behalf.  Thus you can see if they are using the system,
and log them off gracefully if not.

Logmon is a background process that monitors cpu activity (not keyboard
activity; there is a way to set this up in standard SCO, but it is often
a problem since a user might be running a long program with no keyboard
interaction).
Logmon can log off users that are inactive, and it can give them
a warning before logging them off.  Furthermore, it is possible for
Logmon to vary the inactivity time by user id, by application in use, and
in other ways.

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  708/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    708/941-7714             |

Logging Off Idle Users

Post by Peter Franc » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Is there any way to log off idle users after a given time (short of running
>a reboot of the system).  Or is there any program that will do this if it
>is not built into SCO?

Try the idleout command.  This takes a parameter which is the number
of minutes of idle time permitted before logging the user off.

I.e.
       idleout 60 will allow 60 mins of idle time before log out
       idleout 0 is the default and allows an infinite period of time.

I believe you need to be root to issue this command.  A reboot will
set it back to default which is zero.  I have set the command up in
one of the rc files that init looks at when booting.  This way it is
always set.  If you want to manually log users off if they are idle
and haven't reached the threshhold, then type idleout x (where x is <
than the minimum idle time for the users you want to to disconnect)
and then type idleout y where y is your standard,

Hope this helps,

Logging Off Idle Users

Post by Peter Scot » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I want to run some updates to an application on an SCO unix 3.2v4.2 box
after
> hours.  The problem is I can't do it if there are people logged in to ttys.

> Is there any way to log off idle users after a given time (short of running
> a reboot of the system).  Or is there any program that will do this if it
> is not built into SCO?

idleout is an option but I have always worried about that as I do not know
what users are doing and am worried that just tossing them off the system will
in fact cause me problems in putting the updates in place.

I use a package called Double Vision for this although this is not the primary
reason for trunning the programme.  After hours run DV, log off the users
(gracefully) and then do your reindexing, updates etc.

I guess the proviso is how many users you have to log off.  I usually have 2-3
out of 50 but would hate to have 100 out of 300.

I use DV everyday for on the spot fixes for users.  There is no need to ask
them what there screen says and then try and fix the problem - just have a
look at it and either you fix it or talk them through the fix ie I have a
great training tool as well.

I am not sure what the current price is but you will use it so often it won't
matter.

Recommend!!

Peter Scott

1. logging off idle users...

I seem to recall somewhere that under AIX3.1 on the RS/6000 that you
could set something up that users that were idle for more than a
specified time could be logged off.

Could someone point me in the right direction to do this?

Thanks!

"This, of course, is impossible..."  - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
        Corey Wirun, BSc - Systems Analyst,  Esso Petroleum Canada,
               Strathcona Refinery.  Edmonton, Alberta

2. PPP won't run

3. Program to log off idle users

4. Got Dell builtin 3c905b to work

5. HELP:logging off idle users

6. Trouble installing PPP

7. How to kill user processes and log users off??

8. HELP!! Wield routing problem ..

9. Need daemon to kick idle users off Sun

10. How to kick off Idle users without reboot the system.

11. booting off idle users?

12. Q:logging out idle users

13. Log out idle users (Solaris).