HOW DO YOU REMOVE FILESYSTEMS & CREATE THEM ON NEW DISKS?

HOW DO YOU REMOVE FILESYSTEMS & CREATE THEM ON NEW DISKS?

Post by Yaku » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I added an additional 4gb disk to my sco version 5.0.4 and wanted to
create one filesystem on that disk.   I ran mkdev hd and then add
scsi disk, and told the installation that I wanted to use the rest
of the disk to create a UNIX partition.   It seemed as though it
created two partitions.   So during the installation I was asked
to either maintain the default names of the filesystems or define
one myself, so I named the two filesystems "u02" and "u03" for
file systems 1 and 2 or 0 and 1 (I am not sure of exact message/however
this is the basic concept).   After naming the filesystems I choose
to install.   After the install I did an mountall and only saw the
pre-existing filesystems.   I rebooted and went through the same
process again (but some steps were skipped) and I do not see the
filesystems.   Question: How should I removed these newly created
filesystems and devices and start over again?  What should be the
correct steps to adding a disk and creating a filesystems?
Thanks !

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> process again (but some steps were skipped) and I do not see the
> filesystems.   Question: How should I removed these newly created
> filesystems and devices and start over again?  What should be the
> correct steps to adding a disk and creating a filesystems?
> Thanks !

You have created the filesystem.  You did that in divvy as part
of the "mkdev hd".

What you haven't done is mounted them.  Run "mkdev fs", and tell
it that you want to mount /dev/u02 (if that's what you called it)
at /u2 (or wherever you want it) and then do the same thing for
the other one.

You probably want to "always mount" these, and probably don't
want to allow users to mount.  After running mkdev fs, you can
either reboot, or simply type "mountall" to see your new
space.

Also see the article on "Adding Disk Space" at
http://www.aplawrence.com/unixarticles.html

(mailed and posted)
--

SCO ACE
Microsoft MCSE

1. Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

Greetings all,

     I have 3 gigs of freespace on my 12 gig HD.  I would like to
partition this space and make it available to both my Red Hat 6.1 OS and
my Win98 OS.  Therefore, it has to be a FAT32 filesystem. I can't use
fdisk in windows to do this because it doesn't recognize linux.  In
other words, windoze fdisk shows 5 gigs of free space when this is
definately not true, linux is taking up 2 gigs. I don't want to use the
win fdisk in fear of it screwing up my linux system. Cfdisk in linux
shows the proper HD setup with the correct amount of freespace, so I
would like to use this program.  My question, however, is which type of
filesystem  should I format the drive in?..it doesn't seem to write
FAT32 filesystems, only FAT16 versions.  Can I choose any FAT16 version
and write that filesystem so that windoze recongnizes it, and then
reformat the partition (new win drive) into a FAT32 from inside windoze?
How should I go about accomplishing this task without screwing anything
up?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I thank everyone who helps in advance = )

2. Linux xterm question

3. What could cause this error message?

4. How to create SUN disk Label for new SCSI Disk?

5. books on building external hardware for BSD.

6. Removing a filesystem from a non-existent disk

7. program to rename file name

8. Creating New Filesystem

9. Create a new filesystem

10. Creating New Filesystem /usr

11. How to create extra filesystem on a disk?

12. Creating new filesystem on assigned partition?