Configuring DNS and strange boot problem

Post by Darksho » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I just recently installed OpenServer 5.0.4 on a machine connected to a LAN
> that has Internet connectivity.  I setup the IP address and Subnet mask using
> the same settings used in Windows 95 (the machine has a Win95 and Unix
> partition), and the same settings for the network card (3COM Etherlink III
> ISA 3C509B-Combo, although SCO lists only 3C509-Combo), IRQ 10, Base I/O 210.

> I can't ping any other machine on the network; complains about host being
> unreachable or no route.  I guess I have to specify a gateway (like in Win95)
> address, and DNS so I can browse the Internet.  I can't find any place in
> scoadmin where I can set these parameters.  How do i do it?

> Also, when I boot up with the network cable connected, the machine hangs up
> after displaying the gray window with the X (wait) icon.  I have to deattach
> the cable for the boot to work properly and give me the login screen.

> Thanks for your help.

Can you ping yourself? or localhost?
If not, you probably need to make sure the 3COM is set up with the
correct settings using the DOS install disk that came with it. It
also has some repeater software on it that can be run on two machines
to verify operation of the card. Do that, too. Sounds like SCO
doesn't see the card where it expects it.

'Shot

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> I just recently installed OpenServer 5.0.4 on a machine connected to a LAN
>> that has Internet connectivity.  I setup the IP address and Subnet mask using
>> the same settings used in Windows 95 (the machine has a Win95 and Unix
>> partition), and the same settings for the network card (3COM Etherlink III
>> ISA 3C509B-Combo, although SCO lists only 3C509-Combo), IRQ 10, Base I/O 210.

>> I can't ping any other machine on the network; complains about host being
>> unreachable or no route.  I guess I have to specify a gateway (like in Win95)
>> address, and DNS so I can browse the Internet.  I can't find any place in
>> scoadmin where I can set these parameters.  How do i do it?

>> Also, when I boot up with the network cable connected, the machine hangs up
>> after displaying the gray window with the X (wait) icon.  I have to deattach
>> the cable for the boot to work properly and give me the login screen.

>> Thanks for your help.

>Can you ping yourself? or localhost?
>If not, you probably need to make sure the 3COM is set up with the
>correct settings using the DOS install disk that came with it. It
>also has some repeater software on it that can be run on two machines
>to verify operation of the card. Do that, too. Sounds like SCO
>doesn't see the card where it expects it.

Also be sure to turn off automatic checking for cable type and set
it explicitly, if that is an option in setup.

--

(Remove the anti-spam section from the address on a mail reply)

Configuring DNS and strange boot problem

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> > I just recently installed OpenServer 5.0.4 on a machine connected to a LAN
>> > that has Internet connectivity.  I setup the IP address and Subnet mask
>using
>> > the same settings used in Windows 95 (the machine has a Win95 and Unix
>> > partition), and the same settings for the network card (3COM Etherlink III
>> > ISA 3C509B-Combo, although SCO lists only 3C509-Combo), IRQ 10, Base I/O
>210.

>> > I can't ping any other machine on the network; complains about host being
>> > unreachable or no route.  I guess I have to specify a gateway (like in
>Win95)
>> > address, and DNS so I can browse the Internet.  I can't find any place in
>> > scoadmin where I can set these parameters.  How do i do it?

>> > Also, when I boot up with the network cable connected, the machine hangs
>up
>> > after displaying the gray window with the X (wait) icon.  I have to
>deattach
>> > the cable for the boot to work properly and give me the login screen.

>> > Thanks for your help.

>> Can you ping yourself? or localhost?
>> If not, you probably need to make sure the 3COM is set up with the
>> correct settings using the DOS install disk that came with it. It
>> also has some repeater software on it that can be run on two machines
>> to verify operation of the card. Do that, too. Sounds like SCO
>> doesn't see the card where it expects it.

>> 'Shot

>No, I can't even ping anyone (localhost, 127.0.0.1, my IP address).
>"ifconfig -a" only shows lo0 interface.  I don't think the network card is
>setup properly, even though I used the same settings used in Windows 95.  The
>card is an Etherlink III ISA 3C509b-Combo in PnP mode (Win95), but SCO only

                                              ^^^^

Quote:>has drivers for 3C509-Combo.  I guess that small b makes a lot of difference.

Turn of PnP mode.

--

(Remove the anti-spam section from the address on a mail reply)

Configuring DNS and strange boot problem

Post by Scot Harkin » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Howdy,

>No, I can't even ping anyone (localhost, 127.0.0.1, my IP address).
>"ifconfig -a" only shows lo0 interface.  I don't think the network card is
>setup properly, even though I used the same settings used in Windows 95.
The
>card is an Etherlink III ISA 3C509b-Combo in PnP mode (Win95), but SCO only
>has drivers for 3C509-Combo.  I guess that small b makes a lot of

difference.

If you cannot ping even 127.0.0.1 then you have network config problems.
This is further indicated by the fact that you cannot see the 3Com card when
you run 'ifconfig -a'; even an incorrectly configured netcard should show up
with this command, except for the PPP adapter if it's not in use.  The
question is: what do you see in netconfig?  For example, here's my netconfig
window:

---begin---
+----------------------- Network Configuration
Manager -----------------------+
|+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-+|
|| Hardware   Protocol                                                  Help
|+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-+|
|Current networking configuration:
|
|+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-+|
||*HW SCO TCP/IP Loopback driver
||      SCO TCP/IP
||      - SCO NFS Runtime System
|| SW SCO TCP/IP PPP driver
||      SCO TCP/IP
||      - SCO NFS Runtime System
|| HW NetFlex-3 EISA - Slot # 4, 1
||      SCO TCP/IP
||      - SCO NFS Runtime System
|| HW NetFlex-3 EISA - Slot # 5, 1
||      SCO TCP/IP
||      - SCO NFS Runtime System
|+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-+|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--|

--+
---end---

You need only collect the info in the main window.  Note the hierarchy:
adapter/protocol/service (NetFlex/TCP/NFS).

Let's also see the output of 'hwconfig -h' (from multi-user), to see what's
found at startup, and where it's found.

Regards,
Scot

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU) | Systems Administrator, Thurman Ind, Bothell, WA
North Bend, WA        | Native Texan.  Proud daddy and husband!

1. DNS -Problem to configure a secondary dns server

    Hello, I'm trying to configure a computer with FreeBSD 3.3-stable to
work as secondary dns server. When I init the daemon named I found the
following message in the file /var/log/maillog:
Oct 25 10:24:40 mulhacen2 named[130]: reloading nameserver
Oct 25 10:24:40 mulhacen2 named[130]: /etc/namedb/named.boot:1: syntax error
near ;
Oct 25 10:24:40 mulhacen2 named[130]: Ready to answer queries.

    My file named.boot is too short, by the moment, and has the following
lines:

;       $Id: named.boot,v 1.3.6.2 1997/12/23 21:05:55 jkh Exp $

directory /etc/namedb
primary dominio.es         dominio.hosts
primary 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA    dominio.local

    I'm looking for the problem but I don't find it, could someone help me?.
Thanks in advance.

2. Should RH5.1 stand for Red Hat or Really Horrible?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. How do I make Linux router dial into Win95 client?

5. Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...

6. roter buffering

7. DNS strange problem

8. sendmail milter question

9. Strange DNS problem

10. strange problem with configuring monitor and video

11. Strange DNS problem in aix... :)

12. Strange DNS Problem

13. DNS strange problem