Dual Boot with two disks...

Post by Thomas A. Moulto » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Anyone know how to set up a dual boot in Win95 and SCO if SCO Openserver
takes up the entire primary disk and Win95 takes up the entire second
disk (in the SCSI chain).  I can dual boot if I have an SCO Unix
partition and a Win95 partition resident on the primary disk, so this is
not what I'm asking.

If I specify "dos" at the "boot:" prompt it searches the primary disk
"hd(40)" for a "dos" partition.  Why can I not specify another hd, say
"hd(50)", so it knows to look at another hard disk and search its
partitions for a boot "dos" partition.  This is easily done using LILO
(Linux Loader) that sits on the boot partition when using Linux!

Tom Moulton

Dual Boot with two disks...

Post by Bill Vermilli » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know how to set up a dual boot in Win95 and SCO if SCO Openserver
>takes up the entire primary disk and Win95 takes up the entire second
>disk (in the SCSI chain).  I can dual boot if I have an SCO Unix
>partition and a Win95 partition resident on the primary disk, so this is
>not what I'm asking.
>If I specify "dos" at the "boot:" prompt it searches the primary disk
>"hd(40)" for a "dos" partition.  Why can I not specify another hd, say
>"hd(50)", so it knows to look at another hard disk and search its
>partitions for a boot "dos" partition.  This is easily done using LILO
>(Linux Loader) that sits on the boot partition when using Linux!

With the 'stock' untilities provided by either of these you can't.
Since both disks occupy an entire drive - about the only
option you have is to turn bios scan off for the drive you wish
to ignore on boot up in scsi utilities menu - PROVIDING - you
disk controller permits you to do that.    Adaptec and Buslogic
both do that (on their newer controllers).

You'll probably need 1) one of the commercial units, 2) osbs,
or 3) try putting LILO there.

I have my disks in removeable trays that I can just turn the
power off to control booting to the first drive, or use the
controller setups to boot from any other ID I wish.

eg - If I turn off drive 0 and disable drive ID 1, the system
will boot into DOS from ID6 on a Zip drive.

--

1. Dual boot on two disks

I have Win98 and Win2k installed on a 40GB HD attached to a Promise
Ultra100 Tx2 controller and Red Hat Linux 7.3 installed on a 13 GB IDE
drive.  Using the "map (hd0) (hd1)" modification of GRUB I am able to
boot into the Win2k menu.

(See: http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html )

However, when I do this, I can boot into Win2k but not Win98.

On the other hand, I have not found a way of booting from the Win2k
menu into Linux.

The following methods (both are really the same) did not work for me:

http://www.redhat.com/tech/books/RHL_Survival_Kit/ch03_Fa.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

I suspect that these are only for when both Red Hat and Windows are
installed on the same disk.

Also, the method of booting from GRUB using the following method
caused GRUB to fail for me and I reinstalled Red Hat:

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

Any ideas?

TIA

2. Installing XFree86 3.3.2.3... Help!

3. dual boot, two disks, linux first, w2k second

4. ?? Trident 9680 ??

5. Linux and Solaris dual boot....two separate SCSI Disks

6. scripting rlogin

7. WinNT + Linux dual boot on two SCSI disks

8. programing with A/D D/A converter

9. Dual boot with two hard disks???

10. How to boot dual linuxs on two seperate hard disks ?

11. (Updated) Lilo: How to boot dual linuxs on two seperate hard disks ?

12. Dual boot with two hard disks???

13. dual-disk dual boot solaris/win98 x86