Reinstalling local printer...can't use same name?!

Reinstalling local printer...can't use same name?!

Post by klmon.. » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

In Sco Openserver 5.0.5, I am trying to reinstall some printers.  I
have deleted any reference to the printers in printcap, printcap.bak,
and /var/spool/lpd, /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/.

To my knowledge every shred of evidence of that printer should be gone.
(It was previously called 11_HQ_GEN)  Now, when I set the printer back
up, I can't use the name 11_HQ_GEN again, because it says the object
still exists so it can't create the new local printer with that name.
Where to I remove the referece to that object (name) 11_HQ_GEN? so that
I can reinstall the printer with the same name?

appriciated!!

Thanks...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> In Sco Openserver 5.0.5, I am trying to reinstall some printers.  I
> have deleted any reference to the printers in printcap, printcap.bak,
> and /var/spool/lpd, /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/.

Did you try /usr/lib/lpadmin -x 11_HQ_GEN before you went to
all this manual work?

If it's being done with hpnpcfg, did you look in
/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/model.orig ?

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Post by thew.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > In Sco Openserver 5.0.5, I am trying to reinstall some printers.  I
> > have deleted any reference to the printers in printcap,
printcap.bak,
> > and /var/spool/lpd, /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/.

> Did you try /usr/lib/lpadmin -x 11_HQ_GEN before you went to
> all this manual work?

Nope, I had never heard of that.  I'll try that out.

Quote:> If it's being done with hpnpcfg, did you look in
> /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/model.orig ?

I didn't, but I did delete /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/interface/11_HQ_GEN
(for instance) and it still thought there was a printer with that name.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Name resolution for local names using DHCP

I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
addresses.  The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
simply put them in /etc/hosts.

The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router  (Linksys
wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router.  Should the router not
resolve these local hostnames?  Or do I misunderstand how this should
work under DHCP?

2. Recursive rename from uppercase to lowercase

3. How to determine local host name after 'su -' command

4. When to use ; and when to use && on the commandline

5. : how to determine local host name after 'su -' command?

6. Tracing Orphaned Processes

7. How to determine local host name after 'su -' command?

8. NVidia 0.9.5 & blender popupmenu

9. execute a function using its 'name' in 'C'

10. Help: how to determine local host name after 'su -' command?

11. <Help> LILO won't reinstall (using PS/1)

12. It's not bad canned meat...