Where is 'nodename' & 'hostname' kept

Post by Hal Riddl » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I created a monster when installing SCO Openserver 5.0.4. When installing
tcp/ip, i "invented" a hostname, thinking that I could always change it
later on (i could do this w/h v/386 3.2.4). I now want to go and change this
box to the "REAL" name.  The configure command no longer allows the changing
of system name.

I tried removing all the tcp/ip stuff and re-installing it. It still
references the OLD hostname in places. The /etc/default/issue file reference
%n & %h. These are both set to the OLD value!

I tried removing tcp/ip, relinking without re-installing. At login: time,
the values for /etc/default/issue %n & %h still refer to the OLD stuff.
Where is the reference to %n & %h stored? Can they be edited?

Any help on this matter will really be appreciated!!

Where is 'nodename' & 'hostname' kept

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hal Riddle bruited (on 24Jul):
| I created a monster when installing SCO Openserver 5.0.4. When installing
| tcp/ip, i "invented" a hostname, thinking that I could always change it
| later on (i could do this w/h v/386 3.2.4). I now want to go and change this
| box to the "REAL" name.  The configure command no longer allows the changing
| of system name.

uname -S

--

Where is 'nodename' & 'hostname' kept

Post by le » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

HI,
use netconfig.

FYI,
les at progressive-solutions dot com  (anti spam email line)

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:25:22 -0400, "Hal Riddle"

>I created a monster when installing SCO Openserver 5.0.4. When installing
>tcp/ip, i "invented" a hostname, thinking that I could always change it
>later on (i could do this w/h v/386 3.2.4). I now want to go and change this
>box to the "REAL" name.  The configure command no longer allows the changing
>of system name.

>I tried removing all the tcp/ip stuff and re-installing it. It still
>references the OLD hostname in places. The /etc/default/issue file reference
>%n & %h. These are both set to the OLD value!

>I tried removing tcp/ip, relinking without re-installing. At login: time,
>the values for /etc/default/issue %n & %h still refer to the OLD stuff.
>Where is the reference to %n & %h stored? Can they be edited?

>Any help on this matter will really be appreciated!!

1. hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

I'm at a loss as to how my Red Hat 3.03 is SUPPOSED to find a FQDN.
And it doesn't. And I can't get anything out of giving 127.0.0.1, or
my ever-changing IP-number, to Arena or Netscape. Now, control panel
has a tool where I configure it like name "froz", domain "algonet.se"
and FQDN "froz.algonet.se". But that doesn't do it. Also I don't
understand WHERE this tool is supposed to put in "froz.algonet.se",
which anyway isn't a "real" FQDN.
I have got a bare minimum of network parameters in the scripts.
Actually all I need for my Pap-ppp is domain and nameservers in
resolv.conf. Ifconfig tells me about my temporary ip-number when I'm
connected.
Read somewhere sometime that this is a common problem having to do
with a fault in the routing in the scripts, or with the loopback, but
I can't find this text anywhere.
My goal is to run Apache, and send my ever-changing Ip-number to my
homepage on the ISP-provider. Actually I got all of that running on
another operative system.

2. Gnome. GTK, and NULL Help Topics File

3. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

4. Beware patch 108993-26!

5. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

6. filemgr problem

7. about remove 'LF' but keep 'CR/LF'

8. Can't link X programs (egcs)

9. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

10. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

11. cvsup doesn't like tags 'ports-all' & 'doc-all'

12. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set

13. help: Progeny 1.0 login keeps saying it can't find 'progeny'