WEB Browser for SCO 5.0.2

Post by Edwar » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me where to get a web browser for SCO 5.0.2?

Thank you...

WEB Browser for SCO 5.0.2

Post by Bill Walke » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Can anyone tell me where to get a web browser for SCO 5.0.2?

There are several browsers of course, and I believe that Mosaic is on the
CD for 5.0.2 for that matter.  You might just type "Mosaic" and see what
happens.  Also, lynx (and I think Mosaic) are available on ftp.sco.com.

I would like to expand your question a bit, if I may.

We are a small college and we have a really varied clientele in our labs.
That has led us to look for browsers that we can allow 40 to 60 folks to
"fire up" at the same time.

Netscape has increased from 4 mb to nearly 12 mb in the last year as new
versions have been released.  It is now simply too large to be reasonable,
at least in my opinion.  It doesn't seem particularly well done, anyway.

Arena doesn't do frames or allow Java applets.  Neither does Mosaic.
Grail is on a "tangent".

In short, I would like to expand your question to ask "is there a non-bloated,
fairly fully featured, free browser that we can acquire that will be able
to co-exist with other activities on a modest machine without hogging the
whole thing, and that has not been rushed to market to the extent that it
is busted before it leaves the box ? "

If the answer is "yes", I am not aware of it.

--
Bill Walker

WEB Browser for SCO 5.0.2

Post by Mark A. Davi » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me where to get a web browser for SCO 5.0.2?

One of many options is ftp.netscape.com

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

WEB Browser for SCO 5.0.2

Post by Mark A. Davi » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> We are a small college and we have a really varied clientele in our labs.
> That has led us to look for browsers that we can allow 40 to 60 folks to
> "fire up" at the same time.

> Netscape has increased from 4 mb to nearly 12 mb in the last year as new
> versions have been released.  It is now simply too large to be reasonable,
> at least in my opinion.  It doesn't seem particularly well done, anyway.

Hmm, well Netscape compiled for OS-5 should be using shared libraries
and the code text should be loaded already after the first user, so it
might not be as bad as you think.  Although, it is still a pig, and lots
of RAM will be needed regardless.

Next, the newer versions are Communicator and Navigator.  Get Navigator
4.04 instead of Communicator.  It is much smaller, and is only a browser
(no USENET, Email, etc).  This will save on memory also.

Quote:> Arena doesn't do frames or allow Java applets.

There is a lot more than THAT it won't do- like synchronous loading of
graphic images, for example.

Quote:>  Neither does Mosaic.  Grail is on a "tangent".

Unfortunately, I find anything else than Netscape Navigator to be
unusable for most people's needs.

Post by Udo Mu » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Can anyone tell me where to get a web browser for SCO 5.0.2?

From ftp.netscape.com and from ftp.sco.com. The freeware browsers
are in the Skunkware area. One also can use Sun's HotJava browser
under OS5, but that requires a little bit hacking because there
is no package for OS5 yet. I have posted the solution how I did
it once here, should be possible to find the article in dejanews.
--
Udo Munk - http://www.umnet.de/
No working email address provided in newsgroups anymore, sorry for the