ANNOUCEMENT: XPipeman2

Post by Larry Plon » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

An updated version of the old XPipeman game is now available for UnixWare 2,
OpenServer 5 and Linux. XPipeman2 features multiple levels of color artwork
and sound.

This is freeware. Source packages and binary packages for UnixWare and
OpenServer are available.

See my home page for information and download locations. The Freebird
archive has the UnixWare and source packages under "x11/games". Hopefully
the packages will also soon be referenced through the SCO Skunkware page.

Sound requires an OSS driver such as 4Front or Voxware.

Larry Plona
http://www.tiac.net/users/ljp

1. Annoucement: qish-0.3 [generational GC + frames]

Dear All

{{sorry if this is a duplicate annoucement; I posted a previous
message which didn't appear yet; this message is more specific to
Linux}}

It is my pleasure to announce Qish version 0.3

Qish contains a runtime library, including a (rather generic and
reusable) generational copying garbage collection for C (or C++) and
an embryo of ruko, some sort of frame based system. Qish is
opensource, under GPL license.

See http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/qishintro.html for details
Also, on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/qish/

Download software (tar gnuzipped source in C, of 192Kbytes) from
http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/qish-0.3.tar.gz of md5sum
0b41f2b7d3a2817b0570fa4830641e1a licensed under GPL

Using a garbage collector might be useful to avoid some memory related
bugs. An alternative would be to switch to a garbage collected
language implementation such as Ocaml, Java, CommonLisp, etc... See
http://www.iecc.com/gclist/GC-faq.html
http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gc.html and
http://www.memorymanagement.org/ for details on garbage collection.

Some conservative GC exists, notably the Boehm conservative GC. see
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/ which should be easier
to use (it has an API similar to malloc). But Qish should be faster,
and more importantly, compact memory (like any copying GC) thus
avoiding fragmentation.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

If you feel I should not announce it here please say so.

--

Basile STARYNKEVITCH         http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net

2. RH 5.2 network problem upgrading to Linux 2.2.x

3. Annoucement: Fourth aniversary of Flatfishs Linux "newbie" status!

4. Auto-Dial SLIP under Linux v1.75

5. White Paper Annoucement

6. Cheap PPC motherboard/cpu's?

7. Annoucement: FreeBSD-3.2-Express, a multi-filesystem capable FreeBSD

8. MDLUG monthly meeting / Clustering presentation

9. White Paper Annoucement

10. Annoucement

11. SunSoft Solaris x86 Annoucement!?

12. SysAdmin Courseware Annoucement