IOMEGA products

Post by John Leerentve » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me if is is possible to use the Iomega products:

DITTO EASY 800 external Parallel tapedriver
ZIP DRIVE external parallel
on a SCO 5.0 OS.

Thanks,

IOMEGA products

Post by Peter Thor » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

You can certainly use a JAZ drive for SCO - and if you use the correct
controller you can boot from it.

Peter

> Can anyone tell me if is is possible to use the Iomega products:

> DITTO EASY 800 external Parallel tapedriver
> ZIP DRIVE external parallel
> on a SCO 5.0 OS.

> Thanks,

IOMEGA products

Post by Lucky Leavel » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> You can certainly use a JAZ drive for SCO - and if you use the correct
> controller you can boot from it.

Peter,
    I've toyed with the idea myself.  Do you know which controllers allow
one to boot from it?  How does the performance compare with fixed HDes?

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 945-6555
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris
Ask about special Lone-Tar/SarCheck Bundle simplifying Backups and Tuning

IOMEGA products

Post by Mark Ra » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> You can certainly use a JAZ drive for SCO - and if you use the correct
>> controller you can boot from it.

>Peter,
>    I've toyed with the idea myself.  Do you know which controllers allow
>one to boot from it?  How does the performance compare with fixed HDes?

[speculation]
I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
be something you can just ignore.

[actual knowledge]
On the question of performance, I was VERY impressed.  The box says
5.5MB/s sustained transfer, and I'm routinely getting 3.5-4.5 MB/s
on my Linux box (Dec Alpha w/NCR 83c810 SCSI chip).  This is pretty
reasonable for a mid-range 5400 rpm drive.
--

"Does Emacs have the Buddha nature?  Why not, it's got everything else."

IOMEGA products

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me if is is possible to use the Iomega products:

> DITTO EASY 800 external Parallel tapedriver
> ZIP DRIVE external parallel
> on a SCO 5.0 OS.

No.  There are no drivers for parallel port storage devices.  SCSI Zip
and Jaz drives work.  I don't know whether Iomega makes SCSI tapes, but
if they do, they would also probably work.

(Exception: there is a third party company whose name I don't remember,
who supply a parallel port CD-ROM driver suitable for installing
OpenServer on laptops.  I don't know whether their driver has any
additional capabilities.)

Quote:>Bela<

IOMEGA products

Post by Lucky Leavel » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> [speculation]
> I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
> boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
> The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
> partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
> be something you can just ignore.

Mark,
   If the JAZ disks don't have a partition table, does this imply they
require a special driver for SCO? other OSes?

Post by Mark Raf » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > [speculation]
> > I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
> > boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
> > The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
> > partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
> > be something you can just ignore.

> Mark,
>    If the JAZ disks don't have a partition table, does this imply they
> require a special driver for SCO? other OSes?

I'm somewhat out of my depth on the low-level details of partitioning
regular disks vs. Jaz or floppies.  All I can report is how it seems to
work.

For Linux, it works without drivers.  It just shows up as /dev/sdb4
(second SCSI disk, last partition) even though fdisk refuses to run on it.
It comes with Win95 drivers that aren't necessary - it just shows up on
the desktop as a removable 1GB disk.  Maybe it's a hardcoded partition
table rather than no partition table.

I expect that SCO will see it the same way - as a big fast floppy disk.
Since SCO uses divisions rather than partitions to seperate filesystems,
it shouldn't present a problem.
--

A novice was trying to fix a broken machine by turning the
power off and on.  The master, seeing what the student was doing

IOMEGA products

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> You can certainly use a JAZ drive for SCO - and if you use the correct
>> controller you can boot from it.
>Peter,
>    I've toyed with the idea myself.  Do you know which controllers allow
>one to boot from it?  How does the performance compare with fixed HDes?

As to booting virutally all will let you boot from device 0 or 1.

On the system with a removeable HD, I just turn the key off on
the HD and boot onto the Jaz at ID 1.  However you can set the Adaptec
and most other good controllers to scan for bios devices at
boot time.   Just set the controller to ignore the drives you
don't wish to boot from.

I can even boot DOS from ID 5 on a Zip.  Never tried anything
else as 100MB is so small for anything else anymore.

--

IOMEGA products

Post by Lawrence Kir » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> [speculation]
>> I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
>> boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
>> The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
>> partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
>> be something you can just ignore.

>Mark,
>   If the JAZ disks don't have a partition table, does this imply they
>require a special driver for SCO? other OSes?

I assume you just have to be careful which disk device files you use. If
there is no partition table you would presumably only be able to use the
device for the whole disk, /dev/[r]hd?0. I also note you can boot SCO
off a floppy disk which also doesn't have a partition table. It does use
a different boot record though so maybe having a suitable boot record is
the key.

IOMEGA products

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>> [speculation]
>>> I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
>>> boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
>>> The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
>>> partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
>>> be something you can just ignore.
>>   If the JAZ disks don't have a partition table, does this imply they
>>require a special driver for SCO? other OSes?
>I assume you just have to be careful which disk device files you use. If
>there is no partition table you would presumably only be able to use the
>device for the whole disk, /dev/[r]hd?0. I also note you can boot SCO
>off a floppy disk which also doesn't have a partition table. It does use
>a different boot record though so maybe having a suitable boot record is
>the key.

I have not tried the Jaz with the SCO - just another thing to
do yet - but I treat it just like another HD.

I have three disks.  One is dual partitioned for DOS and
FreeBSD and I can boot others.

Free SCO is going on another RSN.     I don't expect any
problem because you can treat it just like an HD.

The only limitations I've seen so far is OS'es that insist on
treating the device as removeable even if you specify to treat
removeables as non-removeable in the controller - brain dead
OSes from M'soft always see it as removeable and won't let you
run compressed file systems.

--

IOMEGA products

Post by Paul Anderso » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > [speculation]
> > I'd strongly expect that any SCSI adapter that can boot a hard disk can
> > boot a Jaz disk.  I intend to do exactly this for NT on my toy machine.
> > The only problem I forsee is that SCO Unix wants it's own ID on the
> > partition table, and jaz disks don't have a partition table.  This may
> > be something you can just ignore.

> Mark,
>    If the JAZ disks don't have a partition table, does this imply they
> require a special driver for SCO? other OSes?

> Thank you,
> Lucky

> Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 945-6555
> UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 949-9233

> New Albany, IN 47150-2013                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
> WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris
> Ask about special Lone-Tar/SarCheck Bundle simplifying Backups and Tuning

Jaz drives do have a partition table!  Whether under Dos or Unix.  On a
SCO box one would have to run the same procedures ae instaaling a normal
drive.  First run mkdev hd {id} 0 0, this will run twice, first time to
build the new kernel, the second to run the fdisk utility to partition
the drive.  Next you make a filesystem, something like mkfs
208000:200000 1 80.  Then you mount the drive.  This drive is as
bootable as any other drive you have.

Paul Anderson