voice response app

Post by Randolph B. Bro » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Is there an application for SCO Unix to take phone calls and, in
response to DTMF (touch-tone) signals, look up an account entry in a
(text) data file and "read" the entry (via speech synthesis) to the
caller?

I have a customer with an order entry/shipping/accouting package.  He's
interested in an automated voice response system to allow the sales
people to call in and get their sales and commission totals read to
them. At this point, he's talking about transmitting the data in batch
mode to an outside service. Unless they're really cheap, it seems we
could beat it with an in-house system. I've seen a stand-alone system
that can do this (and many other telephone - fax - 3270 - tty - STMP
and so on "glue" functions) called Edify, but I'd be interested in an
application that could support this on the Unix box. Edify is quite
expensive and sort of a world to itself; stellar if you really need it,
but a black hole if you're not careful. .. rb

voice response app

Post by Shane Gibs » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|> Is there an application for SCO Unix to take phone calls and, in
|> response to DTMF (touch-tone) signals, look up an account entry in a
|> (text) data file and "read" the entry (via speech synthesis) to the
|> caller?
|>
|> I have a customer with an order entry/shipping/accouting package.  He's
|> interested in an automated voice response system to allow the sales
|> people to call in and get their sales and commission totals read to
|> them. At this point, he's talking about transmitting the data in batch
|> mode to an outside service. Unless they're really cheap, it seems we
|> could beat it with an in-house system. I've seen a stand-alone system
|> that can do this (and many other telephone - fax - 3270 - tty - STMP
|> and so on "glue" functions) called Edify, but I'd be interested in an
|> application that could support this on the Unix box. Edify is quite
|> expensive and sort of a world to itself; stellar if you really need it,
|> but a black hole if you're not careful. .. rb

Randolph,

This is just a shot in the dark...  About a year ago I attended a trade show
about Lotus Notes.  There were several developers of Notes applications at that
show.  One developer in particular stands out in mind...  They had a telephony
Notes application...  It allowed users to do just what you have in mind.

Currently Lotus Notes 3.2 runs on Open Server 5.0.  However, I've heard talk that
Lotus in not going to port Notes 4.0 to SCO.  I don't know if this is true...

Lotus Customer Support is:      (800) 343-5414

Please email me offline for more information...

v/r
Shane

1. Any voice mail apps for Sportster 28.8 Voice Mail modem?

Has anyone written an application that will allow me to use
the voice mail support provided by my Sportster 28.8 Voice Mail
modem?

I looked at the Linux Software Map, but all I found was a
single application, written for a ZyXel modem.  Browsing
a SunSite mirror didn't unearth anything either.

Thanks for all help!
Andrew

2. Where is USER set?

3. Interactive Voice Response ?

4. Minicom messes my termcap

5. Interactive Voice Response application for Linux

6. Staroffice 5.2

7. Voice Response Systems

8. HP Laser Jet 5P

9. Interactive Voice Response System?

10. Voice Response support

11. Linux IVR (Interactive Voice Response)

12. Looking for a Interactive Voice Response system for Linux

13. Finding a linux-compatible telephone voice response card