BOOT PROGRAM - System Commander Wipped out my Boot track

BOOT PROGRAM - System Commander Wipped out my Boot track

Post by Steve Harvanc » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have SCO O.D 2.0 and I purchased System Commander to allow me to boot
multiple o.s on one drive.  The application was working fine until it decided
to wipe out my boot sector.  In so doing this it did more than I can fix.

I am able to get to the DOS partitition, but using Unixware 2.01, SCO O.D 2.0
or 5.0 I am unable to mount the hard disk.

I need the Unix Information off the drive, but I am unable to get to the file
system.  Does anyone know any s/w out their to help or can anyone do it for me.

I already have tried the dparam -w command and this did not work.

Steve Harvancik
Consultant for OMNI Resources
AT&T NMC w/State of Wisconsin - DOA
316 W. Washington Ave #509
Madison, WI 53703
(608)-264-8475

1. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

I'm having the same problem at the moment.  I've managed to get
through configuring my other items (NT, 95, DOS).

I've upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2, hoping the upgrade would shake
things loose and write a boot-sector to the drive I want to boot
FreeBSD on, but no luck.  The symptom is a pop-up dialog (presented by
System Commander at boot time) that says the boot record is bogus (or
something like that).

Of course, I can still boot off my floppy (with Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel),
so I know there's something there that's bootable.

But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
1st partition).

I used to multiboot using the NT loader using the method of compiling
a bood program from the FreeBSD src somewhere, creating a bootsec
program which I then deposited on Drive C: and then mucked with the NT
loader configuration to present the FreeBSD choice.  But along with
reorganizing my big drive 1, I changed to System Commander to take
advantage of some of the other features SC has like partition-hiding
and multiple primary partitions on a single drive.

Thanks
--
John Hight              hight

SRI International       sri.com

2. A Free Intel IA32 Reverse Compiler/Disassembler

3. X86/system commander/lost boot/can't boot

4. Moving to larger partitions

5. Installing System Commander on a preconfigured dual-boot system ?

6. C shell ?'s (.cshrc ?'s)

7. anyone used "System Commander" boot manager?

8. scsi tape drive woes

9. Booting using lilo and system commander

10. System Commander dual boot: ????

11. How can I boot linux form System Commander

12. Problems setting up Slackware to boot via System Commander

13. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000