Installing SCO OpenServer 5 from CD-ROM

Post by b.. » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have got the new SCO Open Server 5 evaluation kit on CD-ROM. As my experiences in
installing CD-ROM drives in the SCO Unix environment is near to nothing,  I would
appreciate  your opinion on which CD-ROM station to buy in order to get this CD-based
operating system to work with minimal problems. I am not considering a SCSI CD-ROM
but a IDE-type CD-ROM. So if You have experiences of working configurations could
You please inform me.

Yours sincerely
Bengt Bredenberg

Installing SCO OpenServer 5 from CD-ROM

Post by Carlos Augusto Leite Nett » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

this CD-based

Quote:>operating system to work with minimal problems. I am not considering a SCSI CD-ROM
>but a IDE-type CD-ROM. So if You have experiences of working configurations could

Until Open Server 3, only SCSI CD-ROM was supported. I hope that now
we can install Open Server 5 from a simple Mitsumi/CreativeLabs CD-ROM.
I can install Linux from my Mistumi CD-ROM! Why??? Answer: SCSI CD-ROM
are more expansive!

Does anybody here know if it's possible to install Open Server 5 from
a Mitsumi/CreativeLabs CD-ROM???

Carlos Netto

Post by AudioContr » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I have got the new SCO Open Server 5 evaluation kit on CD-ROM. As my experiences in
>installing CD-ROM drives in the SCO Unix environment is near to nothing,  I would
>appreciate  your opinion on which CD-ROM station to buy in order to get this CD-based
>operating system to work with minimal problems. I am not considering a SCSI CD-ROM
>but a IDE-type CD-ROM. So if You have experiences of working configurations could
>You please inform me.

OS5 comes with a bootload driver for IDE CDroms. The only criteria is
the IDE drive has to be ATAPI compliant.

1. Installing Free SCO Openserver; CD-ROM not recognised

$I'm trying to install Openserver but the install process won;t pick up
$my CD-ROM (it's a Mitsumi 2x which runs off a port on a Soundblaster 16)
$
$I had no problems doing this with Linux - I just used the sbpcd driver
$and everything worked fine. How do I do it with SCO?

   I'm not familiar with that particular sound card - and, if it
follows the habits of other Soundblasters, there may actually be
several different cards named "Soundblaster 16" or similar ...

   If it's SCSI (probably unlikely - AFAIK, most Soundblasters with
SCSI ports have "SCSI" somewhere in their names), you'd need to
check to see if the SCSI chipset used on it is supported.

   If it's ATAPI-compliant, it should work with the wd driver; there
are some brief notes in the FAQ about possible addressing combinations
that might help.  Many sound cards which claim an "IDE" or "EIDE"
CD-ROM connection are ATAPI-compliant - but many others are not;
they actually use proprietary interfaces which are not supported
on OSR5.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

2. unix log messages

3. How to get a blue background

4. Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1

5. Geometric diagram drawing package

6. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

7. Sound and Xwindows question

8. SCO Free OpenServer and Creative CD-Blaster 2x CD-ROM

9. Installation problem: SCO OpenServer 5.0 + Toshiba notebook + CD-ROM

10. (E)IDE CD-ROM problems with SCO OpenServer

11. drivers for a cd-rom changer for SCO OpenServer 5.0

12. CD-ROM master for SCO-Openserver