Installation of Free SCO using a Trantor SCSI Adapter (old ProAudio Spectrum 16)

Installation of Free SCO using a Trantor SCSI Adapter (old ProAudio Spectrum 16)

Post by J. C. Egger » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest how to get my CD Reader recognized?
I am attempting to install FREE SCO Unix with a SCSI CD.  It's an NEC
Multispin 3x Plus connected to the old Fusion 16CD sound card with its
on board Trantor SCSI adapter.

I have attempted to give a boot string:

defbootstr adapter=spad(0x201,12,0)

201 is the adapters hex address (at least according to Windows 95 system
information).

SCO Unix doesn't like that.  It issues a warning and fails to recognize
the device.

As I don't have any installation floppies, the CD is my only avenue for
proceeding.

Any direction to go would be appreciated.  I have LOOKED around for
help.  It seems quite sparse for problems occuring before OS.

THANKS

J. C. Eggert

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Can anyone suggest how to get my CD Reader recognized?
> I am attempting to install FREE SCO Unix with a SCSI CD.  It's an NEC
> Multispin 3x Plus connected to the old Fusion 16CD sound card with its
> on board Trantor SCSI adapter.

> I have attempted to give a boot string:

> defbootstr adapter=spad(0x201,12,0)

> 201 is the adapters hex address (at least according to Windows 95 system
> information).

> SCO Unix doesn't like that.  It issues a warning and fails to recognize
> the device.

That would be the right bootstring if you had an Adaptec 6260 or 6360
chip at I/O address 0x201, IRQ 12.  I've never seen any evidence that
these PAS Trantor SCSI adapters are anything but Trantor; what makes you
think it's an Adaptec chipset, and specifically one supported by the
spad driver?  The address you're giving isn't any of the standard
addresses at which 6x60 chips are normally found; same with the IRQ.
That's pretty good circumstancial evidence that it isn't what you
think.

As far as I know, no SCO driver has ever been written for that SCSI
chipset/board.  You'll have to find a supported SCSI adapter (or an
ATAPI CD-ROM to put on your IDE controller...)

Quote:> Any direction to go would be appreciated.  I have LOOKED around for
> help.  It seems quite sparse for problems occuring before OS.

Have you searched the SCO Technical Articles,

  http://www.sco.com/Support/ssl.html

?

Quote:>Bela<

Installation of Free SCO using a Trantor SCSI Adapter (old ProAudio Spectrum 16)

Post by Richard Woo » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Have you tried appending "disable=dptr" to the end of your boot string?

--------------
Richard Wood
Paris, France

1. ProAudio Spectrum 16 SCSI support?

        Hi, I've checked sereral FAQs and the HOWTOs but I couldn't fine out
if Linux suports the ProAudio Spectrum 16's SCSI controller.  All I could
find was that it supported it as a sound card.  Can anyone direct me to this
information?

Mikael Newquist

Can't we all just get along??

2. SXPC,term, spurious errors

3. Proaudio Spectrum 16 SCSI?

4. Using Linksys network printer servers with Solaris 2.5.1

5. SCSI CD on ProAudio Spectrum 16

6. using sed to edit a script output

7. ProAudio Spectrum 16 SCSI controller settings?

8. Network Interfaces under Solaris 7 (or 2.6) TCP/IP

9. ProAudio Spectrum 16 cards

10. Proaudio Spectrum 16 Sound Card Won't Work

11. Proaudio Spectrum 16 help

12. Intel using ProAudio Studio 16 SCSI CD ROM