Help: Server reboots on ":wq" in vi on SCO 4.2 !

Help: Server reboots on ":wq" in vi on SCO 4.2 !

Post by Masroor Faroo » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi.

We just made a server using a Pentuim 100 with Adaptec AHA-1542CP, HP 2 Gig
harddrive and a Wangtek 1.2 Gig tape backup. The server has 32 Megs of RAM.
To get SCO installed on it properly on it, we had to install a SCO provided
patch with seems to have worked properly.

Here's the problem. 90% of the time when I use vi and do a 'wq' the server
reboots. It does not crash, no panic, but as if somebody hit the reset button.
 I suspect hardware issue, but has anyone have any idea or experience as to
what has gone wrong?

Any help or feedback appreciated.

Masroor

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> We just made a server using a Pentuim 100 with Adaptec AHA-1542CP, HP 2 Gig
> harddrive and a Wangtek 1.2 Gig tape backup. The server has 32 Megs of RAM.
> To get SCO installed on it properly on it, we had to install a SCO provided
> patch with seems to have worked properly.

> Here's the problem. 90% of the time when I use vi and do a 'wq' the server
> reboots. It does not crash, no panic, but as if somebody hit the reset button.
>  I suspect hardware issue, but has anyone have any idea or experience as to
> what has gone wrong?

You are right to suspect a hardware problem.  So, you should give as
complete as possible a description of your hardware.  It would help to
know exactly what motherboard you are using, what BIOS manufacturer &
version, etc.  Also, what "SCO provided patch" was that?

I doubt this has anything to do with vi.  Have you ever had any other
similar problems?  Is the system used much besides for editing with vi?

Quote:>Bela<

Help: Server reboots on ":wq" in vi on SCO 4.2 !

Post by Roberto Zi » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi.

>We just made a server using a Pentuim 100 with Adaptec AHA-1542CP, HP 2
Gig
>harddrive and a Wangtek 1.2 Gig tape backup. The server has 32 Megs of
RAM.
>To get SCO installed on it properly on it, we had to install a SCO
provided
>patch with seems to have worked properly.

>Here's the problem. 90% of the time when I use vi and do a 'wq' the
server
>reboots. It does not crash, no panic, but as if somebody hit the reset
button.
> I suspect hardware issue, but has anyone have any idea or experience as
>what has gone wrong?

>Any help or feedback appreciated.

>Masroor

Hi Masroor !

Perhaps I'm totally off-topic but did you check if your MB is capable
of checking parity error related problems ? Some on the newest MB are
not able to handle it so the system should continue to work with some
in-core corrupted data, possibly causing the problem you're
experiencing.

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia      ITALY
Acca', nisciuno e' fess !
                              (TOM - the red cat, Silvester's friend)

1. SCO unix "version" 4.2 (was: Re: SCO marketroids strike again!)

Ooooh!  Way cool!  Thought I'd post this here, since discussions on
binary compatibility for Linux and Xenix and ISC have begun in c.o.l.

The current Xenix/SysV.3 binary compatibility that exists in ISC and
SCO products is fairly limited.  It almost always falls down when
networking is involved or VGA hardware access is attempted.  I have
seen a Xenix UNIFY DBMS installed installed and run fine under SCO
UNIX, though, so I know the binary compatibility is valuable.

--
Clay Haapala                    "Well, there was the process of sitting around

                                        -- Dilbert

2. Undergraduate Student Kernel Projects

3. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

4. Etherchannel on AIX 5.1 not aktivated after reboot

5. Can I make tcsh "vi" bindings more like ksh "vi"?

6. Weird SCSI problem on Sun4/110 (Re: Solaris 2.4 traps on Sun 4/110)

8. Standalone shell and perl scripts?

10. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang

11. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang...

12. Anyone used "Dell Dimension XPS T133C" for SCO UNIX 4.2

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...