Can I delete all files in /tmp directory?

Can I delete all files in /tmp directory?

Post by Mike Schol » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

This is one of those "better safe than sorry" questions.

I have quite a number of files in our /tmp directory.  Can these files
be deleted (assuming the applications that used these files have been
installed)?  I am skeptically comparing this directory to the Win-95
/windows/temp folder.

Thanks

Mike Scholz

Can I delete all files in /tmp directory?

Post by Mike Schol » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

This is one of those 'better safe than sorry' questions.

I have quite a number of files in our /tmp directory.  Can these files
be deleted (assuming the applications that used these files have been
installed)?  I am skeptically comparing this directory to the Win-95
/windows/temp folder.

Thanks

Mike Scholz

Can I delete all files in /tmp directory?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Mike Scholz propounded:
| This is one of those 'better safe than sorry' questions.
|
| I have quite a number of files in our /tmp directory.  Can these files
| be deleted (assuming the applications that used these files have been
| installed)?  I am skeptically comparing this directory to the Win-95
| /windows/temp folder.

/usr/lib/cleantmp should be running (default root crontab does it on Sunday
mornings) and do this housekeeping for you.

Note that it is relying on the atime of the files, and *unless* you change
its default scripts, a program like BackupEDGE will always change the
atime if it archives that directory.

--

Can I delete all files in /tmp directory?

Post by Adam Walk » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

in most cases yes you can but it depends on what software you are
running on your machine...if you are using some of the WP's they have
some files in there for print queue handling and it will cause problems
if you remove them.

Quote: